Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

RED 37BA vs. Phaeton 37BH

We love our 32SA, but we're thinking seriously about upgrading to a DP, and have narrowed our search to the Allegro RED 37BA and the Phaeton 37BH. I'd appreciate any comments on these items:
1. They have the same floorplan, so is the Phaeton worth an extra 15% upfront cost? I couldn't discern many meaningful differences in the brochures, and can't find examples in the local area to go look at.
2. The Phaeton price sheet says that Tire Pressure Sensing is a "required option" (sounds like an oxymoron) for $1k. I already have a TPMS, so what is this?
3. Elect. Stability Control/Auto Track Control is also a required option for $2.3k. Anyone know what this is?

The RED 37BA brochure says tire pressure monitoring is included (not an upcharge) but the stability control option is not listed as available in either the brochure or the price sheet.

Any comments on how well the Truma water heater works? It is standard on both models. Does it take long to heat up? My understanding is that it requires propane, with no electric heating mode, so propane use will increase.
DaveFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I can only speak to your question about the Truma water heater. The Truma is an on demand water heater that does run on propane. The model that is used by Tiffin also has a small (1.5 gallon?) tank that remains heated to supply some hot water quicker than an on demand only unit would - if you set the control dial to "Comfort" mode versus "Eco" mode.
In practice, it still seems slow to supply hot water, maybe because the small reserve tank doesn't hold a very high temperature and/or the length of Pex to the faucets.
With the rear bathroom in the 2 coaches you are comparing being so close to the Truma unit, I would have expected good hot water to be at this faucet and the shower almost immediately. It is not. But, once it is there, you get a nice hot shower without running out of hot water. You will need to mix very little, if any cold water. I will give this 3 stars out of 5.
Are you considering the all electric option? That would give you a different source of hot water that others could speak to.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
This might be useful as well.

https://youtu.be/5dNEiS_6wFs
Old 08-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #4

There are quite a few differences. Engine (ISB vs L9), double glass, heated floors, upgraded seats and interior are just a few that come to mind.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:02 AM   #5

We we t from a Red to a Phaeton mainly for the engine. Other items were a bonus.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
I can only speak to your question about the Truma water heater. The Truma is an on demand water heater that does run on propane. The model that is used by Tiffin also has a small (1.5 gallon?) tank that remains heated to supply some hot water quicker than an on demand only unit would - if you set the control dial to "Comfort" mode versus "Eco" mode.

In practice, it still seems slow to supply hot water, maybe because the small reserve tank doesn't hold a very high temperature and/or the length of Pex to the faucets.

With the rear bathroom in the 2 coaches you are comparing being so close to the Truma unit, I would have expected good hot water to be at this faucet and the shower almost immediately. It is not. But, once it is there, you get a nice hot shower without running out of hot water. You will need to mix very little, if any cold water. I will give this 3 stars out of 5.

Are you considering the all electric option? That would give you a different source of hot water that others could speak to.

I have the Precision Temp instant water heater and I can shed a little light on why it takes so long to get hot water, at least on mine. The heater has to establish flow before it will ignite, this only takes a second but it's a long second if you are standing under a cold shower. My heater is located in my bathroom but it doesn't flow direct to the shower. It flows to a manifold under the kitchen sink and then back to the shower. I don't have any experience with the Truma but a lot of people with my Precision Temp are converting to it.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Roger, I suspected manifolding was a big part of the delay. I had a home with a hot and cold water manifold and hated it just for the reason of long delays to get hot water at any faucet.
On coaches with a rear bathroom, near the water heater like mine, it would be so much better to run hot water directly to these faucets. That would make for quick hot water to the sink, shower and washer (if used). Then have a manifold in the kitchen for all other uses. Less piping too.
I have a Truma that is designed to put out instant hot water, only a few feet from my rear bathroom, but then a lengthy, manifolded distribution system that makes you wait, a lot.
I might see if this would be an easy enough modification.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #8

We're currently not considering the all-electric option to keep the propane cooktop for dry camping. And the $8k upcharge on the BH, $5k on the BA.
DaveFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #9

I really wanted the higher torque and horsepower engine, the electric heated floors and the dual pane windows. These were deciding factors for me. I did not get the all electric option because we boondock, dry camp, or are hooked up to only 30A service a significant amount of time. I would opt for the third air conditioner though, especially if you have a dark colored paint scheme and/or travel in the Southwest a lot.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #10

The third AC is standard on the Phaeton although the brochure may indicate otherwise.

Tags
phaeton