Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

Red Bay

We just purchased a used 2007 Phaeton 40QSH, and will be picking it up from California and driving it back to Texas. We do not have service records for what may or may not have been done on this coach over the years. My question is, can we take it to Tiffin's Red Bay service center to have it checked out for any issues/repairs needed? I saw on another site that after April 3, 2017, they will no longer service rigs that are not within 4 years of the original purchase date. We really want to have this coach thoroughly checked by Tiffin and do anything that needs to be done.

Any advice, other than get there before April 3?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	148783  
BBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

you might look for a Cummins Coach Care center in California and have them check the MH out before you get on the road to Texas. Dave
Old 01-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately the service center in Red Bay does not provide the type of inspection service you looking for. If you called them I'm sure they would refer you to a dealer. The Red Bay service center only repairs items that owners have submitted on a list. There are three exceptions, commonly known as the "Big Three".
  1. Roof rails - The roof rails are the radiused portion between the side of the coach and the flat part of the roof. Look for hairline cracks (they will look like scratches) that run vertically from the side wall towards the top of the roof.
  2. Wet Bay floor - Check for sagging (it should be flat) or softness (test with a screwdriver)
  3. DS slide floor - Check for swelling along the forward edge and softness with a screwdriver.

When you arrive at the service center they will check each of the above items, and if required give you the schedule for repairs. Tiffin had an extended coverage period where they were repairing these items free of charge, but I believe that period has now expired.

You can call Tiffin at (256) 356-0261, give them your serial number and they should be able to tell you if any or all of these repairs have already been done.

I don't know where you're located in California, but I can recommend the following west coast authorized Tiffin repair center that might be able to do the inspection for you.

Affordable RV, Newcastle, CA (530) 889-8175

Regarding the new service policy that goes into effect on April 1st., it doesn't mean they won't provide any service to coaches over four years old, it just means they won't go to a regular service bay. They will still accept older coaches in their Express Bays, which are limited to jobs that will take two men three hours or less (six man hours) to complete.

Having been to Red Bay four times, should you ever decide to go and use the Express Bays, I would highly recommend you stay with the coach while the repairs are being made, and record any down time that might take place.

Since you don't have any service records for the coach, I would also recommend you contact RV Oil Analysis | Leading RV Analysis Company | JG Lubricant Services and purchase the kits necessary to test the following engine and generator (as applicable) fluids.
  • Engine oil
  • Engine coolant
  • Transmission fluid

The kits and tests will set you back a few dollars, but are well worth the cost to identify a possible problem, or at the very least give you peace of mind.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote