RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #1

Cool Red Bay Alabama

Home to Tiffin Industries, a Sunshine Mills Dogfood Plant, a couple of grocery stores, fast food joints, a restaurant or two, a Library, and 7 or 8 gravel parking lots with hookups (deemed RV Parks), this gritty little Southern town also packs more working knowledge per square mile about your Tiffin Motorhome than anyplace else on Earth. Probably 2800 of the 3500 residents of Red Bay either work or have worked for Bob Tiffin since he started building Motorhomes here in 1978, and most of them are what I call “Graduates of Tiffin U.”

Wages aren’t very high here in Red Dirt rural AL, and many of the skilled craftsmen from Tiffin Moonlight. Tiffin not only allows this, but support this shadow economy. If you show up for Service with an out of Warranty Motorhome, they apologetically turn you away, but then whip out “The List” of Moonlighting employees and former employees who have opened their own Specialty Shops doing All Manner of Repair & Customization. Everyone knows everyone else, and everyone knows a heck of a lot more about your coach than Any RV dealer. You not only get the most knowledgeable, efficient, and affordable work on your coach here, it is served with a large dose of Southern Hospitality.

We bought our ‘08 Coach almost a year ago, and spent that year, and 9,000 miles developing “The List” of Repairs, Upgrades & Renovations we wanted to accomplish to make this our Full-Time Home. Having been on the road for the last four years in a fifth wheel, we had a pretty good idea what we wanted, and a realistic view of the costs involved... we’re a “little” over budget, but we discovered unanticipated repairs (airbags, body damage from learning to drive), but are eternally grateful we made the Pilgrimage to Red Bay.

We’ll kick off Our List of Referrals with Jeff & Jeff at Red Bay Body Shop... meticulous, accommodating, beautiful Paint & Body Work. You do not realize how handmade these Motorhomes are until you watch one be rebuilt & refinished in two weeks! The guys at Slide Toppers installed new canvas in three days for 2/3 the price elsewhere, Bay Diesel charges $140/hr labor, but it’s honestly billed fractionally, you’re elbow to elbow under the lift watching them work, and they show you what others lied to you about (and maybe didn’t do, but you paid for). I could go on, but once you get here, you’re in the referral loop. If not, just show up at Tiffin Service and ask for “The List”.

If you have been considering diving into an older Tiffin, but were afraid of the rehab project and costs, buy it cheap (we didn’t), make your list, and bring it to Red Bay. You’ll drive away In a month or so with a Motorhome that will serve you well for years, if you are realistic and have the work done here, by the experts who built them for 20 years before going out on their own. Most of the shops are prepared for you living in the coach while the work is being done, so you don’t have Campground expenses (although two weeks I the Body Shop is not recommended, especially once they started painting!)

samedyerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
And don't forget the new Girard Awnings plant!

Red Bay is an amazing place. We can get work done elsewhere but like to go back just to visit a town full of wonderful people.

'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Exactly why I purchased a New Tiffin. Red bay is 90 miles from home base. The coach will never see the dealer again.
EGE184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been back twice with our new rig. Warranty work the first time and some modifications the second.
The place is amazing and one of the reasons as to why we purchased a Tiffin.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I hope to get down to Red Bay someday. Even if I don't have anything needing repaired (yeah...wishfull thinking), I'd like to at least visit & tour the factory.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wife and I will be departing SoCal in four weeks for our first trip to TMH. We have a few minor warranty repairs that need to be completed before our first year of ownership is up. We could not be more pleased with the quality of our couch and more importantly the floor plan we chose. Any time we're asked, we love to show our couch to other RVrs who are thinking of moving up to a class A or curious about a Tiffin product.

Again, with regards to the quality of our couch, I'm really looking forward to seeing the factory tour. The craftsmanship of our couch is truly above reproach. Would like to see first hand how the wiring is run through the couch.

Someone posted "The List" of offsite vendors last year (effective date Jan 2018) and I'm curious if there are any significant updates. Maybe someone can post a more updated list.

After our stint in Red Bay we're headed to the Saf-T-Plus factory on the west side of Atlanta for installation of their component. After traveling I-90/94 through Montana's National Grass Lands and fighting the severe head winds, I figure that will be money well spent.

Now if I could just figure out how to get LT Dan and NLOVNIT out for a steak dinner and a few cold brews. I've learned a ton of info from those two and would enjoy meeting them and picking their brains without the need of a keyboard.

Safe travels to all!
ValionRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

In Red Bay

The employees at the service center can do wonders for Tiffin motorhomes, they do it everyday.

There is a huge group of individually owned companies that work on motorhomes here and we have found their services to be fast, professional and reasonably priced.

We come through Memphis every year and the few hours drive to Red Bay was a small positive factor in our decision to buy a Tiffin. For a few days, we can have the coach chassis serviced, have any little items fixed and then get back on the road.
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #8

Is "the list" on IRV2 somewhere?
Where?
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Is "the list" on IRV2 somewhere?
Where?

NO, it's on the Tiffin RV Owners Network website.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just stopped at Red Bay a few weeks ago. We do not (unfortunately) have a Tiffin but stopped by to get some snap on wheel shades installed. Once there, we discovered many of the other shops and services and wound up staying for almost a week. We were like a kid in a candy store!

A call to Nick Brewer got our Dish satellite fixed at NO Charge over the phone. (It was a wiring problem I could fix myself). Another gentleman fixed our 12v converter that died while there and ota antenna at an amazing price, so low that I felt compelled to give a tip. The wheel shades we originally went for are fantastic and he also fixed the passenger chair that had stopped swiveling before getting there. Again, at an amazing price.

If the person you contact cannot help you,they know who can and are happy to refer you. Wonderful place and we will go again. We did the factory tour and only wish a Tiffin was in our budget.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
NO, it's on the Tiffin RV Owners Network website.
I found it on google.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:29 AM   #12

Has anyone had work done on their Cummins engine in Red Bay?
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Has anyone had work done on their Cummins engine in Red Bay?
Yes. Bay Diesel just replaced a coolant hose on my 2016 Allegro Bus. If in doubt on what they can do, give them a call. 256 356 8830

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Yes. Bay Diesel just replaced a coolant hose on my 2016 Allegro Bus. If in doubt on what they can do, give them a call. 256 356 8830
Is there a place for F-53 gassers?