Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Red Bay or Lazydays??

Okay, I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post! Here's the story: My wife and I were at LazyDays Jan 2020 and then again in Mar of 2020 for warranty work on our 2020 Tiffin 40IP. We all know what hit at that time (Covid!). Long story short: We were in the middle of getting work done, in the service bay, when we got a knock on our door one morning. It was the service mgr not asking but telling us we had to leave. Since we were from NY they could not take any chances. It didn't matter that we are from extreme upstate NY. Not even close to the city. It also didn't matter that we had been in FL all winter! I asked if we could at least stay the day so I could make some reservations somewhere. Nope, we had to vacate within 2 hrs! Up until this point we honestly felt like 'family' with Lazydays. Totally satisfied. My wife went berserk while I scrambled to locate a place to stay. Fast forward: We still need some warranty work done. I personally called Bob Tiffin and he could not have been nicer. He has extended our warranty time until this April. I also called the owner of LazyDays and he regrets what happened. I am set to go to Red Bay to finish the work, but I hear that is problematic with scheduling. I would also like to give LD another chance to change how I feel about them. The Crown Club is a low stress place to stay. What say you?? Thanks!!
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

If you actually want to get your coach fixed correctly the first time go to Red Bay. Go in January or February and you should get in and out fairly quickly, don't go now it will take weeks to get anything done. If you want to be pampered go to LazyDays. It will take weeks to get anything half way done there anytime you go.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I could not agree more with the above. When we bought from LD and had numerous warranty issues we felt confident in their ability to make the repairs, especially with their super campground and Crown Club that served three squares and an open bar every day. We traveled the 6 hour round trip 4 times and never got anything repaired properly the first time. We finally went to Red Bay, only waited one day to get into a bay, everything on our list was fixed properly including several things we didn't even notice but were taken care of when the tech saw them. Not trying to trash LD as much as commend Red Bay so please don't jump on me for my opinion.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies! I hope to hear more experiences pro/con for either approach.
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:21 AM   #5

My opinion of LD is they can fix anything you have to be patient and work with your advisor but hey your at the Crown Club. Would not go to Red Bay unless I was dropping off my coach.
igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

Your treatment at LD is inexcusable. That alone should answer your question. You would never be treated like that at RB, plus your coach has a much higher probability of being fixed properly and in a timely manner.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

No question, go to Red Bay. We went last spring and couldnít be happier with the work done by both Tiffin and outside vendors, most of whom work for Tiffin during the daytime.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I've never been to Red Bay but if I had a new Tiffin it would be my preference to go there if it was more than just a few nuisance items that LD should be able to fix. I might still go there for some Maintenance items etc. but it will not be to Tiffin but one of the recognized support businesses nearby as preference is usually for those under warranty for Tiffin. This is understandable that Tiffin prioritizes those first.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure about LD. I will avoid having dealers or 3rd parties working on the house when/if possible. Been to Red Bay twice for warranty work. When I bought the coach last year, I never imagined I would be saying that. That's a different topic in other threads. Red Bay isn't luxurious or anything, but there are full hookups and it was free within the warranty period. I was there last month and there was a 2 week wait. I was lucky and got into the Express Bay since my list wasn't extensive. When I arrived, they were pretty full. If still under warranty and they have spaces, they let people in. If not, they made them go to area sites nearby.

To sum up Red Bay. Yes, free full hookup. Gravel lot (doesn't bother me). Nice people. Can get boring if there too long, so may want to go to Tupelo or other places to visit for the day. Red Bay is dry, so if you want to kick back and have a beer or two, just make the short drive to MS (10 minutes down the road). Yes, the techs are better than going to a dealer, but I have found you better stay on top of what they are doing. Not all Tiffin techs are highly trained and/or willing to do high quality work. I found I wanted to just turn it over and relax knowing they were on it. Didn't work that way either time. But the conclusion was good both times. I'm glad we have that resource honestly.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #10

Red Bay, hands down. If you are out of warranty you can either wait to get into the Tiffin service center or you can contact the "after hours" outside vendors who are usually either former Tiffin employees or Tiffin employees who work after hours. If you are still in warranty then you can go to the Tiffin Service Center at no cost but you will have to wait. We will be in Red Bay in 4 weeks and have appointments with 2 vendors, thus since I have appointments I hope to be in and out in a matter of days (I am out of warranty with a 2020 RED37BA). Attached PDF is a list of vendors. Hope this list helps. Just from what I have read from many postings here and other places I would avoid LD (I did, got quote but did not buy).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Red Bay Area Businesses 7.1.2021.pdf (112.9 KB, 7 views)
boomersooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #11

We were in Red Bay last October. Very friendly, a nice customer waiting area and most importantly they most likely will have the parts needed.
I wouldnít give any awards for quality service however, replaced clothes dryer and scratched walls and damaged bedroom ceiling fan. Replaced seal on full body slide that required removal of interior facia above slide, it fell down 200 miles after we left Red Bay.
Re caulked kitchen window, doesnít leak any longer but caulk bead is embarrassing.

I also think itís ridiculous that they donít make appointments, to sit for days or even weeks doesnít seem right for warranty work. We live in Minnesota and are not retired so leaving coach while waiting for repairs wasnít possible. They will not work on older Tiffins.

Again, very friendly people.

After several class A RVís by a different manufacturer we are happy overall with our 2019 Open Road.
Ken
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #12

The one thing about LD that set me back on my heels was that even though we are in the crown club, when they took the RV to the service bay, no one installed plastic covers over the driver seat, and no paper maps were put down. When we go to Freightliner, we get both of those installed before he puts the key in the ignition.

What does that say?

Every time we pick up the RV from the crown club, we have to clean up the oily residue on the tile floors left by the techs.

Even though LD is a Freightliner authorized maintenance place, they don't offer the service interval plans that cover the requirements Freightliner outlines.

However when we had a leaky transmission cooler LD flipped it around quickly and took car of the PDM issues.

The delivery issues we had were resolved, but I had to force the tiffin rep to complete one of them. When they reviewed the satellite dish on the roof, the cover was never completely tightened down. I went up there reviewed it and completed the installation of the cover.

When I was young, my mother used to say "wait until your father gets home you'll get crowned".

I feel that love every time I schedule service with the crown club and wish I had purchased through another dealer.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #13

Red Bay or LD

Simple.....LD=250 service bays of "if it's not broken going in, it will be coming out"......and never on time or on budget. Watch these videos and you will get the idea...

https://youtu.be/zcpi02q4x6I
https://youtu.be/2dm3XHPaPkg
https://youtu.be/66A-hqPE16M
https://youtu.be/ns1WxP0-Zkk
https://youtu.be/naPHB-wvM1E

If you go to Red Bay, they will have parts and people skilled with the coach.
FlNewmarBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #14

I drive 1100 miles one way to Forest City for Service.
They are the only one I would let touch my Aquahot and Deisel Generator for service.
They know every issue and seen it over and over.
Always fix it correctly the first time.
Worth the $1000 in diesel round trip once a year.
Heck, it’s another RV trip!
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote