Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Red ISB overheating

Last week I had for the 3rd time my 2009 Tiffin 36QSA Overheat. Yes it is the 3rd time. By the time I get pulled over the temp has fallen back. I get out to check the fan and it is not on but yet the temp has fallen back to 201. The second time it happened it took longer to cool and for the fan to come back on. Took it to Freightliner of Grand Rapids and they said the radiator needed cleaned. Cleaned and out 260 dollars. This past week happened again in Indianapolis. 10 degrees and we spent 3 days camped at Cummins. Put it on the dyno and all is ok.
I learned here on the ISB 2009 there has been a problem with the clutch on the fan. It is a $ 1000 fix. I am still under warranty and would like it fixed but they are telling me there is nothing wrong when I bring it in.
A couple of questions.
I understand there is a fuse that I can pull and it will kick on the fan and it will run all the time. Yes I will loose some mpg
How do i resolve this situation. I have calls into Cummins, Freightliner and Tiffin. Yes It is the holidays but would like to know what to do Thanks Ron C
RonnieNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

When you say overheat, how high is the temperature? Do the warning light and buzzer sound? Also, on the dynometer, how hard did they push it? Did they really make the engine work hard? What do you mean "it took longer to cool and for the fan to come back on." I'd think if you stopped because of overheating warnings, the fan should have been on full speed. Make sure you have documented all of the incidents and have paperwork from Cummins telling you everything is fine. Remember, anything told to you is just smoke, it won't help in a warranty repair. GET IT IN WRITING.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

When you say overheat, how high is the temperature? Do the warning light and buzzer sound? Also, on the dynometer, how hard did they push it? Did they really make the engine work hard? What do you mean "it took longer to cool and for the fan to come back on." I'd think if you stopped because of overheating warnings, the fan should have been on full speed. Make sure you have documented all of the incidents and have paperwork from Cummins telling you everything is fine. Remember, anything told to you is just smoke, it won't help in a warranty repair. GET IT IN WRITING.
Yes they did push the coach on the dyno. I have a copy of the incident report and the dyno report. Yes the alarms did go off and that is what triggered the incident. The fan was not on but the temp had cooled to 190 by the time I got pulled over and out of the coach. Yes the fan should have been on full speed.
Ron
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Doesn't it store any type of codes when something like this happens that the techs can scan and read? I would think there has to be some kind of TSB (technical service bulletins) that relate to this in some capacity that can help them trouble shoot also.
I know the techs can't just throw parts at it hoping that it takes care of the problem. Typically the techs have to be able to duplicate the malfunction to diagnose.
Hoping you can get it remedied quickly. Very frustrating I know.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Could it be the Charge Air Cooler ?
My ISC overheated twice, and having the CAC cleaned
solved the problem. Not all Freightliner service places
are real good with motorhomes. Try to find the local
place that does a lot of buses/school buses. It's the
same chassis in a lot of cases. Trucks are different.
Just my opinion.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds to me like you need to have the exterior of the radiator fins cleaned. You can do it yourself, or have it done. Get a good all purpose cleaner, soak the radiator fins from both sides and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Then spray it with a jet stream of water from both sides. If you can manage hot water, even better.

Don't use a pressure washer as the pressure they put out can damage the fins. Gradual dust and dirt can collect in the fins, especially in a pusher, and restrict the cooling action of the air through the radiator.

If it is real dirty, you may need to repeat the process.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been having the same problems with my engine overheating. Did all of the recommendations from having the rad, CAC cleaned SEVERAL TIMES...replacing the radiator cap, replacing the thermostat, having the coolant flushed & refilled [TWICE], but the same problem with overheating. It takes about 13 miles before it starts overheating, but takes quite a while to cool down. ERROR CODES were in the system, but both CUMMINS & FREIGHTLINER said that I need to bring it in when it's running HOT!!!!!!! Yea, right...they simply cannot be bothered with fixing it. My solution, as many others have done, was to attach an external fan to the radiator to PULL THE AIR THRU the rad & CAC.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #8

Angry Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
I have been having the same problems with my engine overheating. Did all of the recommendations from having the rad, CAC cleaned SEVERAL TIMES...replacing the radiator cap, replacing the thermostat, having the coolant flushed & refilled [TWICE], but the same problem with overheating. It takes about 13 miles before it starts overheating, but takes quite a while to cool down. ERROR CODES were in the system, but both CUMMINS & FREIGHTLINER said that I need to bring it in when it's running HOT!!!!!!! Yea, right...they simply cannot be bothered with fixing it. My solution, as many others have done, was to attach an external fan to the radiator to PULL THE AIR THRU the rad & CAC.
Radiator fins are clean and have been cleaned. Radiator has been flushed. Yes I have been to I must bring it in hot. To drive it from Fort Stockton to El Paso it would get real hot. I have a call going into Freightliner with some names I got from Tiffin. It just does not want to break down in the Freightliner parking lot.
Ron
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You know, at this point I would probably give Mike Cody at Gaffney and tell him the detailed story. Mike teaches Camp Freightliner and is the most knowledgeable guy I have ever seen re Freightliner chassis issues. When I took the class there was an owner attending that had an issue no shop had been able to figure out. Mike talked to him in detail during a break. Second day of the class during a lunch break the tech servicing his coach said he found the answer thanks to Mike's direction. Cannot hurt to call. He is a great and very helpful person.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

ISB overheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
You know, at this point I would probably give Mike Cody at Gaffney and tell him the detailed story. Mike teaches Camp Freightliner and is the most knowledgeable guy I have ever seen re Freightliner chassis issues. When I took the class there was an owner attending that had an issue no shop had been able to figure out. Mike talked to him in detail during a break. Second day of the class during a lunch break the tech servicing his coach said he found the answer thanks to Mike's direction. Cannot hurt to call. He is a great and very helpful person.
I was given a couple other names from Tiffin that they thought could help. I will be calling Freightliner this Monday to see what they say.
Thanks for the tip and I do have Mike's phone number too
Ron
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

Same issue with other ISL engines

I have had this issue with a Winnebago 40' and it happens in the mountains and it happens in traffic too. Sometimes it does it sometimes is doesn't. We never figured out why it happens either. No service tech could ever tell us why.
vicratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #12

OK as a follow up I had my coached fixed in late Feb. After calling Freightliner they gave me a fix code and told me to take it to the local Freightliner dealer. The code was 3737. The Horton Fan Clutch. It took a couple of days to get the part in and have it installed. This has been a problem with this year Freightliner. Freightliner picked up $ 1000 of the $ 1800 it cost. I had $ 200 in cleaning the fin tubes and another $ 400 for the dyno check in Indianapolis. So ya it was costly. Have arrived at Red Bay Tiffin Motorhome and will further discuss this with them. If you are having a problem with the Freightline 340ISB overheating call Freightliner
Have not had anymore problems

Tags
heating