RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Refrigerator fans

I have been considering adding cooling fans to the domestic refrigerator in my 2015 Open Road.

After doing some research I find that everyone on the internet adds fans to the top of the refrigerator. I am not anxious to crawl on the roof of the RV if I can avoid it.

Why not add fans to the cooling air input vent rather than blowing hot air out the top of the fridge?

The end result in both days so it is more airflow up through the stack.
Robert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

fan

I added a 12volt cooling fan to mine. It is the type used on computers. I wired it into the light switch and connected it to the fins on the top of the refrigerator.
It runs continually and keeps the refrigerator a lot cooler. I tried a battery operated one that sits on the shelf and it barely moved any air. I bought it on Amazon for about $10.00.
Otispuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

Where you put the fan is vital to how the refer will perform. The fan must not cool the boiler at the bottom. Cooling the fins near the top will improve cooling. A fan can be installed above or below the fins near the top. Attention to how air flowing in at the bottom is important. Cooling the boiler will hurt efficiency. A thermostat for the fan will save battery power.

Sealing the sides and top to keep a chimney effect is important. For side discharge, a baffle directing the rising air out the side is important. Mine had a baffle, but the corners were open into the inside cabinet. I pushed closed cell foam pieces into all open gaps between refer sides and top.

Proper spacing between the back of the refer and outside wall is also important to keep a good chimney effect and keep the cooling air moving well. Read installation instructions for your make and model. Pay attention to the details in the instructions.

There are some good refer technicians on iRV2. Hopefully they will add to or correct my suggestions.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have added several 12 volt fans and mounted then inside the lower fridge cover. They move air and do the same job.

Ken
Old 09-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

Refrigerator fans

I added a high efficiency computer cooling fan with a thermocouple and programmable set temperature. I mounted it at the upper edge of the exterior vent aimed up across the coils. Worked great. I also added the twin “Fridge Fix” fan assembly for inside the refrigerator. That really helped too.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

When I put fans in, I put them at the top in an effort to get the heat out from behind the refrigerator. It made such a difference between never getting my refrigerator below 40 degrees and once done consistently staying in the low 30’s.

The lower fans never had an issue moving air across the coils, its just that the air never got out of the space efficiently.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My point was that fans at the top and improvements to the chimney affect will also increase airflow at the bottom. I agree that you do not want to kool the boiler but it is fairly well insulated.
Robert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed the Fridge Defend by ARP it has a blower at the inlet vents, does the same as an exhaust fan at the top, works great, the boiler is so well insulated that there should be no concern on cooling it.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #9

I approached this in a different way. I put 4 exhaust fans on the roof vent which comes on with the fridge. They are series / parallel so they run slow and quiet

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #10

Put fans where the heat is, blowing out. Here's why:
- If you blow air into the compartment, and there are fumes of any kind, they may seep into the RV. If the fan is on top, blowing out, any air movement between inside and outside will be in the outward direction.
- blowing cool air in the bottom does not necessarily mean the hot on top will leave. IT may get blown through gaps to other areas in the RV.

This addresses heat behind the fridge. Some folks put small fans inside the fridge, to circulate air inside for more even temperatures. Generally a good idea, since convection is easily impeded by fridge loading.

Tags
fan, refrigerator