Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #1

Remove Splendide Dryer for repair

On the first week of our 8 week trip, the dryer barrel quit turning. Splendide technical support said it’s either a broken belt or the belt is off the wheels.

I thought I’d attempt to repair it myself but I can’t unsecure it. I took the doors and hardware off to give it room but it is secured somewhere.

Anyone ever removed a dryer ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #2

I repair my stacked Splendide dryer (hi limit switch), the dryer was attached to the top of the washer with a standard kit. if I recall, two screws along the front bottom edge of the dryer and two clips it slides into in the back.

I took the dryer off the top of the washer then disassembled it.

is that what your asking about?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fixi...al-458866.html

This might help.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #4

same question

did you ever get the dryer out? Mine is in a 2021 Tiffin Phaeton. same deal. took the door off and the screws from the front bracket. That loosened it, but no wiggle room to lift it over the bracket, to slide it forward and out. and no way to remove that bracket. do I remove all the wood trim to make more room? I'm pretty handy but this is like a chinese puzzle...
About Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:53 PM   #5

I’m actually taking my coach to a very trusted RV mechanic next week. I’m hoping he can figure this puzzle out.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #6

Angry great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
I’m actually taking my coach to a very trusted RV mechanic next week. I’m hoping he can figure this puzzle out.
I too am having professional handle. He'll have to use a reciprocating saw it looks like to me.

Tiffin really screwed this one up. I called service hoping there was a magic key to release the dryer. The tech in service (after one hour hold) told me the standard bracket holding the dryer in place on the washer is never glued as some have told us on here. It is riveted or screwed in place onto the washer.
The dryer is then placed and screwed in on top. The service tech told me they put the stack unit together, then put it in place, then build around it.

That has to be the dumbest way to ever install appliances. Especially these washers and dryers that need service. I am proud (sarcasm) to have spent this much to especially buy my second Tiffin and the dryer thermostat go out one month or two months after 12 month warranty runs out. It is not the cost, it is the frustration of how the unit was built, never thinking the possibility that the appliance might have to come out someday... I guess this is a first world problem, its just a clothes dryer!
Old 09-13-2022, 08:23 PM   #7

I just removed my splendid 2000 w&d combo. in my 2003 allegro bay. Picture this, I am 5' and got that middle tire Im packing as age has come upon me. It is in the back before the bedroom, in a cabinet across from the bathroom door. all the drawers needed to come out, the nobs off the cupboards and the misc trim. the clamps were put in with a star headed screw on both sides. the biggest hurdle was getting it over the 1/2" lip on the drip pan. I did this in under 1 1/2hrs. do mainly because Im 60 female and out of shape. I didnt break anything, although I wanted to a time or two. all in all it wasnt that bad.
djbjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #8

Dryer repaired mission accomplished

As a follow up: This is a 2021 Phaeton 40IH....I had a very good trusted professional come in and try to figure out the puzzle. He has many years experience and high ratings. He looked it over and felt as I did that the install by Tiffin was incorrect. We laughed a bit and cussed a bit... I apologize in advance for the length of this memo...

The styles around the door frame had "sandwiched" wood framing supports which were not only screwed in from the inside of the cabinet (where the w/d are sitting, blocking any big hands or tools ), there were also one inch staples by staple gun about 10 times, plus a light glue to hold that board to the back of the cabinet style. There was no way the dryer was coming out without pry barring the styles and frame apart at the top. On top of that, (pun intended), there is a cross member board over the top of the dryer, not only nailed and glued but notched in on the sides to the side frame. This cross member would not allow the dryer to be tilted or lifted to slide out forward. All in all there was some unavoidable minor cosmetic damage that I repaired. The damage is inside the cabinet, as the cross member had to be cut out on either side. It will never go back.

I figure Tiffin post covid builders were extra careful and never wanted the w/d to move in our travels, or no one told them that these w/ds are not invincible, and they may need to come out for repair or replacement someday But it made for a fun day of removal and replacement/repairs for a fifteen minute replacement of thermostats on the dryer.

All is working well now. I had him replace with thoughts to another removal someday, as he agreed. The unit is blocked in very well for travel, but those pieces can be easily removed. All we could understand is that Tiffin built the cabinet, then slid the w/d in as a set from the rear of the coach (our w/d faces the front of the coach and is on the back wall), then they placed the exterior coach cap or cover on the end of the coach, enclosing the engine, etc.

When I spoke with Tiffin, the tech said exactly all this. They built the closet, then installed the w/d and enclosed the unit.

One more thing: the Splendide manufacturer tech that trouble shot the dryer over the phone knew it was the thermostat. He said if your closet is tight and no air flow around it, the thermostats actually over heat. Lo and behold as we removed the dryer, we found the flex vent pipe was not tightened or taped and was actually hanging half off, which allowed hot dryer air into the closet., causing the problem. We viewed this prior to the removal through the small access panel from the clothes closet, so we knew it was not us pulling out the dryer that caused the vent to pull off. Make certain you allow air flow around your w/d dryer with louvered doors or open the closet door during operation. and check that dryer vent.

Please note I am not knocking Tiffin as much as I should, because things in construction happen. We have been very happy until now with the Tiffin coaches. and would buy again. I just hope their engineers design a better access for appliances... they could certainly bring me in and for a small fee and I could design it for them!

Safe travels everyone...
Old 09-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by About Time View Post
As a follow up: This is a 2021 Phaeton 40IH....I had a very good trusted professional come in and try to figure out the puzzle. He has many years experience and high ratings. He looked it over and felt as I did that the install by Tiffin was incorrect. We laughed a bit and cussed a bit... I apologize in advance for the length of this memo...

The styles around the door frame had "sandwiched" wood framing supports which were not only screwed in from the inside of the cabinet (where the w/d are sitting, blocking any big hands or tools ), there were also one inch staples by staple gun about 10 times, plus a light glue to hold that board to the back of the cabinet style. There was no way the dryer was coming out without pry barring the styles and frame apart at the top. On top of that, (pun intended), there is a cross member board over the top of the dryer, not only nailed and glued but notched in on the sides to the side frame. This cross member would not allow the dryer to be tilted or lifted to slide out forward. All in all there was some unavoidable minor cosmetic damage that I repaired. The damage is inside the cabinet, as the cross member had to be cut out on either side. It will never go back.

I figure Tiffin post covid builders were extra careful and never wanted the w/d to move in our travels, or no one told them that these w/ds are not invincible, and they may need to come out for repair or replacement someday But it made for a fun day of removal and replacement/repairs for a fifteen minute replacement of thermostats on the dryer.

All is working well now. I had him replace with thoughts to another removal someday, as he agreed. The unit is blocked in very well for travel, but those pieces can be easily removed. All we could understand is that Tiffin built the cabinet, then slid the w/d in as a set from the rear of the coach (our w/d faces the front of the coach and is on the back wall), then they placed the exterior coach cap or cover on the end of the coach, enclosing the engine, etc.

When I spoke with Tiffin, the tech said exactly all this. They built the closet, then installed the w/d and enclosed the unit.

One more thing: the Splendide manufacturer tech that trouble shot the dryer over the phone knew it was the thermostat. He said if your closet is tight and no air flow around it, the thermostats actually over heat. Lo and behold as we removed the dryer, we found the flex vent pipe was not tightened or taped and was actually hanging half off, which allowed hot dryer air into the closet., causing the problem. We viewed this prior to the removal through the small access panel from the clothes closet, so we knew it was not us pulling out the dryer that caused the vent to pull off. Make certain you allow air flow around your w/d dryer with louvered doors or open the closet door during operation. and check that dryer vent.

Please note I am not knocking Tiffin as much as I should, because things in construction happen. We have been very happy until now with the Tiffin coaches. and would buy again. I just hope their engineers design a better access for appliances... they could certainly bring me in and for a small fee and I could design it for them!

Safe travels everyone...
Interesting and very good info for me since we have the same coach with the same w/d configuration. I wouldn't want it to fall out either but some level of maintenance is going to be needed sooner or later.

Thanks for the great report!
Sam
Old 09-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by About Time View Post

Safe travels everyone...
Thank you very much for this write-up! I will need to remove the washer if I go through with my attempt to adjust the pressure switch in the washing machine. I'm continually irritated that the washer does not use enough water in the wash and rinse cycle leaving copious amounts of soap residue on the clothes.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Tiffin Splendide Dryer Failures

We are suffering with the same problem with our 21 Bus 37AP. Dryer high temperature limit failed after about 2 months of use. Splendide installation guidelines for clearances not followed. Dryer installed with top pressed into vinyl ceiling covering. In discussions with Tiffin making progress and headed to Red Bay this winter. I took photo of laundry cabinet in a 2022 Bus 37AP.
Considerable difference will try to attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022 All Bus 37AP Laundry Cabinet.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	381047  
Bob W E WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #12

I previously replaced the high temp sensor
The washer dryer stacked units were within warranty
I had paid for a extended service plan
I was told that it would be months and months before they could get to me
Said they would send me the parts and I could do it myself, which I did
They sent the heater assembly which included high limit and control tstats, came with leads and connectors
.... however you can't replace the heater assembly from accessing the heater through the back .... but you can't get to the end of the leads to use the connectors.
Instead I had to remove the new high limit TS and splice it into the existing heater assembly.
They could have designed the heater assembly such that it could have been replaced from the rear with out breaking open the entire dryer.
#SAD p.s. I did find the individual high limit TS and now carry a spare
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #13

Dryer removal

Yes we did get the dryer out. (2021 Phaeton 40 IH)

I had first removed door and trim. Then tried to remove the washer/dryer attachment clip. Could not lift the dryer up to pull it out over that clip. Found there is a 1x2 board over the TOP of the dryer, which precludes any vertical lift. It has several nail gun staples. If you're careful and don' begin to lose patience (like me) that board will eventually come out. (And to never be seen again...)
There is a wood style across the top, under the door carriage. That will also need to come out. It has a bunch more of the nail gun staples and glue. The person that installed was likely being paid by the number of staples. It also has the two screws that can be easily accessed for removal. Working that board out will give you the room to finally slide the dryer out.

There is a clip on the backside of the dryer and washer you need to pay attention to when reinstalling. You can see it from the rather small closet access on the right side of the laundry closet. Once again that access could have been made larger as well. It's where you are to reach in and shut off the washer water lines...

As I earlier mentioned, this is a weakness for Tiffin. I spoke with their techs, and they flat told me the cabinet was built around the washer dryer for the most part. Meaning it was to never really come out.

And the repair of replacing the two thermostats on the back of the dryer took no more than 15 minutes. Arghhhhh.....

I wish you Good luck. I had help in removing as pulling those out is not for a 70 year old anymore
Old 11-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #14

dryer removal pics

forgot I had a couple photos to help out maybe.. hope this works Dang it, photos are sideways, the Phaeton is not lying on her side!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6266.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	381074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6267.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	381075  

Tags