Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacement in Dash GPS

I would like to get a newer GPS for our bus to replace the DNX570TR that we have now. I did a search of the board and the latest information that I could find was from 2020 that had a recommendation for the DNX775RVS. I could not find any store that had DNX775RVS in stock. If anyone has purchased a Kenwood in dash GPS that is comparable to the DNX775RVS If you would post what you found I would appreciate it very much.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
My advice would be to save money and get a stand alone RV GPS with lifetime updates. The in-dash units are not lifetime update and you have to pay for each. Also, you can't pre-program routes and load them on the in-dash units like you can a stand alone. Our 2015 Allegro RED came with the factory unit and after the first trip I never used it again. I've been using a RV760LMT for six years now and can plan a complete trip day by day in BaseCamp and upload it to the unit.

And, thank you for your service!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
I would like to get a newer GPS for our bus to replace the DNX570TR that we have now. I did a search of the board and the latest information that I could find was from 2020 that had a recommendation for the DNX775RVS. I could not find any store that had DNX775RVS in stock. If anyone has purchased a Kenwood in dash GPS that is comparable to the DNX775RVS If you would post what you found I would appreciate it very much.
That model isn't made any more, i.e., it's a 2018 model. Any double DIN receiver/GPS would fit.... however, I'd go with the GARMIN 890 RV specific model and just use your Kenwood for Bluetooth, music, etc.

The GARMIN has free/included lifetime GPS updates.

Mark
Old 11-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the post, I have a Rand McNally & Good Sam stand-alone RV GPS with lifetime maps. I also have a Garman 665 that I use with my motorcycle. There are some things that the dash GPS has that I like better, that was the reason I was looking for an updated GPS.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the post, I have a Rand McNally & Good Sam stand-alone RV GPS with lifetime maps. I also have a Garman 665 that I use with my motorcycle. There are some things that the dash GPS has that I like better, that was the reason I was looking for an updated GPS.

I'm definitely no expert on these things. I have the dash system you are looking for, but I hate it (the GPS part.....love the rest of it). I bought the Garmin 890 and love it. I am curious what features the dash system has that you like that you aren't getting on your standalones. Heck I may be missing out on something.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have the same year & model Tiffin, and the same Kenwood unit. And the same outdated maps because Kenwood didn't add the functionality to updates maps until the 571 model!

I've not seen any place that has the DNX775RVS in stock. Rather than settle for plan B (there are a lot of Chinese units on amazon for dirt cheap), I decided to just use Google maps on my phone, in a holder that goes into the CD slot. I really don't want another item on the dashboard, since I still need to figure out where to put a TPMS monitor. I use Hammer, a trucking app that allows you to enter weight & height, to verify a route won't get me in trouble.

Once the supply chain issues are resolved, I'll start looking again.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=thegats1;5979970]I'm definitely no expert on these things. I have the dash system you are looking for, but I hate it (the GPS part.....love the rest of it). I bought the Garmin 890 and love it. I am curious what features the dash system has that you like that you aren't getting on your standalones. Heck I may be missing out on something.[/QUOTE]

The in-dash GPS on showing which lane to be in when you have multiple exits or routes that you need, to me the view is better, especially in a large area like Dallas TX. Also, I have found the in dash recalculates faster than my stand alone for some reason. On our last trip my wife used the Good Sam (Rand McNally GPs), and we compared the two. A lot of times the route was the same but some of the time we had different roads to take and exits to use but still arrived at the same destination.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=caninecop;5980720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
I'm definitely no expert on these things. I have the dash system you are looking for, but I hate it (the GPS part.....love the rest of it). I bought the Garmin 890 and love it. I am curious what features the dash system has that you like that you aren't getting on your standalones. Heck I may be missing out on something.[/QUOTE]

The in-dash GPS on showing which lane to be in when you have multiple exits or routes that you need, to me the view is better, especially in a large area like Dallas TX. Also, I have found the in dash recalculates faster than my stand alone for some reason. On our last trip my wife used the Good Sam (Rand McNally GPs), and we compared the two. A lot of times the route was the same but some of the time we had different roads to take and exits to use but still arrived at the same destination.

Understood. Yes we always use Google Maps as a little backup. Of course it doesn't consider our coach size constraints, but it is very good in helping us to avoid backups as long as the suggested route is a major road. It is always interesting to hear how everyone has different preferences. When doing my research before buying the 890 (which I absolutely love), I read about 1000 posts with different methods. Hope you have some luck in locating the in dash upgrade. Eventually you will imagine.....
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You could try Triple H Electronics in Red Bay (256-356-9005). They supply the Kenwood units to Tiffin and may have them in stock. I have the DNX775RVS and it works for me. I'm not much for hand helds while I'm driving.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
In July my Kenwood dash unit quit on me and I was able to order the 775 model from Camping world. Took about 1.5 weeks for delivery to the nearest store. It has improved functionality and features over the original. Updates are only $70 online.

Dale
DP76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserchrome View Post
You could try Triple H Electronics in Red Bay (256-356-9005). They supply the Kenwood units to Tiffin and may have them in stock. I have the DNX775RVS and it works for me. I'm not much for hand helds while I'm driving.
Thanks for the post and phone number, when I get ready to purchase I will check with them to see what they have in stock. They may have a newer model to take a look at.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=DP76;5982562]In July my Kenwood dash unit quit on me and I was able to order the 775 model from Camping world. Took about 1.5 weeks for delivery to the nearest store. It has improved functionality and features over the original. Updates are only $70 online.

Dale[/QUOT

Dale I checked with the camping world in my area and they don't show any dnx775rvs at all. But thanks for your post.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/kenwo...vs-118395.html
DP76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The DNX775RVS is not in stock. Iíve had one ordered since mid-September and was told Iíd be lucky to get it by Christmas. I do have the Garmin 890 standalone, but would prefer the in dash system. In the meantime, however, itís the best I could do and there are several things on the 890 I like a lot.

Tags
ace, dash, gps, replace, replacement