Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Replacing motor in windshield shade

We have a 2013 Allegro Bus and the motor in the shade went out on us. Got the replacement from Tiffin but cant see how to get shade down to get at motor to replace. Any suggestions. Thanks
dcochran1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcochran1167 View Post
We have a 2013 Allegro Bus and the motor in the shade went out on us. Got the replacement from Tiffin but cant see how to get shade down to get at motor to replace. Any suggestions. Thanks
Which Shade, 2 roller or 1? The 2 roller side windows have a #2 square drive screw at each end of the shade frames. The screw goes UP into the top of the valance. It can be reached by going up with a 6" driver shaft that you can be found at any big box store as a piece for installing pocket screws. Of course you'll need a driver in one hand, a flashlight in another and a mirror in the third hand. Then all you need is to stand on your head and it'll come out fine. (LOL). Do not use a wide shaft extension on the square bit as you can easily rub a hole in the shade as you pull the screw. A #2 Phillips can also be used but unless you put a lot of pressure on it it tends to round out the screw. Seriously, the job getting it down is a pain, but can be done if you are reasonably handy. To put it back up a second person helping and an ice pick will help you align the shade hole with the frame for the screws. I do understand that replacing the motor is another difficult job, but I've seen posts on how to do it. Do a search. On a single roller shade you'll have to use the light and mirror to find the screws
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #3

Sorry, I mis-read your post. My windshield shades are held by a screw at each end about 6" in from the end and one at the center. Mine are accessible from the passenger compartment side of the shades. I haven't removed the shade but I can't see any other screws holding the assembly up. I think the power wires come in from the passenger side so I 'd remove the "A" pillar cover before I pulled the shades loose.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 2014 36LA with automotion shades. Replacing a bad shade motor is not an easy task and requires a experienced mechanic. I have 50 years of mechanical experience and found this task to be moderately difficult. If you are not a experienced mechanic I would recommend you have the motor replaced at a good dealership or by Tiffin at Red Bay. Tiffin service center has two people do this task. You really don't need two people to install the repaired shade assembly but it sure makes it easier.
I replaced the nightshade motor by removing the windshield pillar covers then removing the screws that hold the 2 roller shade assembly to the ceiling. Disconnect the two wires that power the shade motor. Make sure you disconnect the correct wires. They are located under the driver side windshield pillar on a 36LA. I removed the bad shade from the 2 shade assembly by removing the small screws that hold it to the mounting bracket and unrolled it to get to a small screw about 12 inches from the end of the tube at the motor end. The screw is under the shade you will need to peel the shade away from the roll tube to find it. The motor end is on the drivers side. Reverse the procedure to install the motor and shade assembly. There is a spring inside the roller tube assembly anchored opposite of motor end of the tube assembly. It is under some tension. Be careful. I rewound the spring to tight on mine and now the spring slaps the tube assembly when I am raising or lowering the night sheae. To install the 2 roll assembly I placed one pillar cover temporarily in place to support one end of the roller then while holding the other end in place I started installing the mounting screws.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Here's a link that might help.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/auto...nt-227663.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote