Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Replacing the "L" sofa with a Lazyboy Recliner Couch

I need some input from those that have done something similar. On the drivers side we have the silly couch that is awful. The back is not high enough, the seat is not long enough, and the metal bar makes it impossible to take a nap on.

We want to add a lazyboy sofa with reclining options but the one thing that has us hung up is that the height of the back of the sofa is 41 inches. This means that the window behind the sofa will be almost half blocked because of the sofa. I don't think it's a huge issue but the boss does.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Below is a pic with the current sofa from heck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6c9.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	250820  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Generally, I feel that most RV furniture is uncomfortable. They look good in the showroom, but that's as far as it goes. The cushions are either too stiff, too soft, too small and as you said, have bars running under them. Don't these furniture manufacturers sit in their products for any length of time and determine how the consumer will like them? If you can get the old stuff out and the new ones in through the door, go for it. There are plenty of nice aftermarket furniture that you can enjoy!
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a similar Flexsteel torture rack in our previous Fleetwood that we replaced with a recliner sofa. The only difficulty we had in removing the old sofa was the corner unit. I had to take the upholstery off the plywood backing and cut the plywood back from the unit. It then fit through the door. I did reassemble the corner unit in order to offer it for sale although after advertising it for months without response I donated it to get it out of the garage and out of my sight. I don't know if your sofa is Flexsteel, but if you search the Fleetwood threads, Sarah H did a great writeup. The new recliner sofa was easy to get in as the backs are separate pieces and easily unbolt to remove them.

As far as the height of the back blocking the window, my wife had the same concerns, however after sitting on the new sofa for about 5 minutes it no longer mattered to her. I did cut down the side window valances in order to move the sofa closer to the wall as the new sofa was a wall hugger and did not need to be that far from the wall. Do it, you won't regret it.

Tags
recliner