Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Residential Fridge question.

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here is the question. Currently our 2008 Phaeton 42QRH is at Connecticut Motor Cars & Coaches having substantial water damage repairs done to the coach. Currently the left dining slide is out of the coach and I was asked if we would be interested in replacing our stock fridge with a residential style fridge. With all the other stuff we have been dealing with I hadn't really considered replacing the old fridge. Any thoughts or comments with this. My worry would be if we did not change out the fridge and later on it craps out since it is almost 8yrs old and then the extra cost of having to do it then. My understanding is that with the residential fridge it would not run on gas only on electric. Is this correct? Not sure if that would be to big of a deal or not. We both are still working and not retired so we don't use the MH full time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Perfect opportunity with the slide out to change out the refrigerator, very few are so fortunate to have easy access!! Do it now, you won't be sorry!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #3

From what I understand, If you swap to the residential fridge a) you will only be able to use electricity via shore power, inverter, or generator (no propane) b) you will need to add significant battery capacity should you desire to boondock.

Now would be a good time to make the conversion if you want to. If the current fridge does crap out in the future you could do a swap out with a like unit or convert then.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the quick replys. Have any of you also changed out the inverter when switching to RR?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Depends on how you camp. Boon-dock a lot, I wouldn't do it. Always hooked up to 50 amp or running generator, I would go for it. We have had in last three coaches and would never go back to an absorption refrigerator, but we are of the latter persuasion (50 amp., etc.)
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

On new Tiffins they usually require a 2000w inverter when adding a res refrig as an option.

JimB
JimHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

Do the switch. I did mine 3 years age but I did switch inverter to the Magnum 2812 PSW and my inverter stays on all the time. This is not my install but it is the same. One of the best move we have made.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehlr View Post
Thanks for the quick replys. Have any of you also changed out the inverter when switching to RR?
When we swapped out the Norcold in the MH we used to have with a Samsung RF197 (no longer available - replaced by RF18), we were able to keep our existing 1000W MSW inverter. Our inverter also powered the entertainment center (TV, satellite receiver, wireless modem) and it handled the additional load of the RR with no problem.

If your existing inverter doesn't have enough capacity to run a RR in addition to whatever else it is already powering and/or your existing inverter is MSW and your new RR requires PSW, a less expensive option to replacing the existing inverter is to install an additional small (1000W) PSW inverter dedicated just to the operation of the fridge.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I would also recommend replacing the somewhat questionable rv absorption fridge with a residential as it would be more convenient now with the slide out. If you now have (4) 6v batteries and a 2000w msw or psw inverter, you'll be fine. A psw inverter would be my preference as it is more likely to be a better power supply for more residential fridges as some od these and other types of electrical appliances can be picky about the electrical power quality they run on. When moving, we use our generator to power our residential fridge, ac/heat pumps and other electrical , as our inverter is a 2000w msw. I purchased a 1000w psw inverter to use solely for our fridge from donrowe.com but have not installed it yet. Generator fuel usage for this is very good, 1/2-3/4 gph, and also exercises the genie on a regular basis.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Residential Fridge question.

I would go with the RR. Consider to install a small dedicated inverter to the refrigerator. Usually around 1500w is needed. The startup current requirement is relatively high, but then the average running draw is pretty low. Whether to add battery capacity depends more on if you dry camp frequently.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
HGC

Residential Fridge

We have a Tiffin 36LA with a Tipplite 1250 watt inverter and residential fridge. No problem. But having an additional 1000 or 1500 watt dedicated inverter for the fridge is a great idea. What would you recommend?
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
As others have stated earlier, if not a boondocker then adding additional battery storage or increased inverter power should not be a major concern. Yes, due diligence on power consumption while on inverter would be required going forward.

The only "additional" cost at a later date is removing the drivers side window to remove the old and install the new. That only adds an hour or so of labor. With the popularity of this upgrade, most every RV repair facility, (and an average handyman with finish carpentry skills) could accomplish this swap out if going with existing battery arrangments.

Depending on your fuse panel location it may need to be lowered. Again, a skilled finish carpenter could accomplsh this.

+2 on the Samsung RF18. You'll love it.

Conn Motor Cars does excellant work. I would suggest getting a firm quote from Don BEFORE making the change out. You may find competative rates elswhere. Justsayn.....

Many a remote lake side/hunting Camp owner may be interested in your Norcold if it is still operating. Craigs list is an excellant place for it as compared to the junk pile. ($$)

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for all the comments on this. We have decided to go ahead and switch out the Norcold with a new Whirlpool RR. The age of ours and fire potential were the main reasons for upgrading. Safe travels.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lt front slide out removed.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	117904  
Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehlr View Post
Thanks for all the comments on this. We have decided to go ahead and switch out the Norcold with a new Whirlpool RR. The age of ours and fire potential were the main reasons for upgrading. Safe travels.

You won't regret having a residential. We'll never own another RV without one. You'll get COLD beer, less food spoilage, more interior storage space and plenty of ice.

paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge