Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Residential Fridge Storage

We just took delivery of our 40QBH this weekend, and are really enjoying the process of getting acquainted with the new unit. The one logistical challenge I've been working through is my storage arrangement. Namely, I am on a waiting list to get under cover and with 15A plug in. The issue is that I don't have a hook up now.

Sooo, during the week when the rig is sitting at the storage lot, I assumed my best bet was to kill the coach batteries, prop open the fridge doors, and then switch over to standby generator the day before a trip departure to get the fridge cooled back down. Sounds like a good plan - even got a few amens on that from other readers.

Well, tonight after I shut off the battery banks, I went back in the coach to prop the doors open and the fridge was still fully powered (roughly 10 minutes after I disconnected the battery bank)!! Yup, no shore power, generator, coach or chasis batteries.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Does the fridge have a capacitor bank, or some other hard wire connection to the batteries? This must be a newbee issue.

Thanks for any insights...
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #2

I'll take a stab at this.
I'm thinking the fridge has a dedicated inverter; BUT; that should shut off at battery disconnect.
Any " Off " setting on the temp control ?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
paz

The fridge is powered from the inverter, and the 12V power for the inverter probably doesn't go through the 12V cutoff switch. Either turn off the inverter (recommended since the inverter will continue to deplete your house batteries even though everything else is off) or unplug the fridge.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The coach has only one inverter - no separate one for the frig.

Here's how I'd do this:
- Turn off the breaker to the frig
- Turn off the 12V switch by the door
- Turn off the Inverter
- Use the battery disconnect switch
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The inverter powers the frig. Shut down the inverter and prop the door open. Use the disconnect switch to kill as much power usage as possible but there will still be some phantom draws.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The inverter is connected directly to the battery with very heavy cables, it does NOT run through the battery disconnect system for the coach, it has it's own On/OFF and Disconnect switches. You will need to locate the inverter..

SOME inverters have a remote control which can disable them.. but still allows power pass through if you have shore power

Some the switch is a true ON/OFF and when OFF, it's OFF, no inverter, no charger, no power pass through. Mine has both.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
All very good answers, and here's one for the fridge if you're interested. You can turn the fridge off by holding the small button on the lower left corner of the door display (it says something like "hold 3 seconds for off"). The light will turn red, and the fridge will be off. Also, the plug for the fridge is visible as soon as you pull the outside solid cover that would be the vented cover if you had a LP fridge. As already mentioned, these will NOT stop you from depleting the batts since the inverter will still be on, but it's still good to know how to cut the fridge only in case you ever needed/wanted to.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, everyone for all of the help! I had been under the mistaken impression that turning off the battery disconnect switches (chasis and coach) isolated them from power draws. Of course I know this for home and industial wiring, but I guess test before touch is just as important with a motorhome!!

I'm going to let it ride for the next day to see what kind of drain the frig puts on the battery bank - my estimate is that I have about 400Ah which should last for 40 hr (bat deplete to 50%). I didnt see a off button, but will look harder - that not available, I'll probably ID the breaker for isolation. Does anyone know of other things that might be hard wired to the batteries, and not subject to the isolation switches? I'd love to have a wiring diagram for my coach!!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcabby View Post
...I didnt see a off button, but will look harder - that not available, I'll probably ID the breaker for isolation.
If you have the same residential refrigerator, look in the lower left corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0658.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	60699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0659.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	60700  

DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
When I got there tonight, the inverter had a low battery fault. Could not start the generator, so had to start the coach to get the generator to start. Ran the generator for three hours, but didnt get past bulk charge. Had to go home hoping I got enough charge in the batteries.

On the refrigerator cut off, you all were right. That was it! Found the on/off button in the bottom corner! Unfortunately, when I propped the doors open, the interior refrig light stayed on. I propped pillows in the door jams to shut off the lights. This time I turned off the inverter, and turned off the outside battery disconnects. Hopefully, my chasis batteries will last a little longer - I really need a spot under roof with shore power to open up soon!!!

Thanks again for the help, and please send any other advice on how to preserve battery life. This seems to be my newbie cryptonite, so far!!!

Tags
fridge, storage