Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #1

Rotten Egg Smell in Water System

We purchased a 2020 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45OPP a month ago. On each trip when running water (primarily in the kitchen) we get a rotten egg smell. Does anyone have instructions on how I can fix this? Not sure if it is an Aqua Hot or freshwater issue. Thanks.
bg4534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #2

Run a 1/3 vinegar and water solution through the fresh water system, including water heater, kinda like cleaning your coffee maker.

Flush out water heater with a flushing wand to remove dirt and debris from flaking anode rod (Dometic brand only).
BTW vinegar is a mild sanitizer too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Read this
https://thorntonandgrooms.com/help-g...ke-rotten-eggs

Not sure what kind of water heater you have but they do make a zinc anode rod for an RV water heater. https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Alumin.../dp/B0811M943D

A friend of mine had a bad sulfur smell in his water. They spent $$$ on a fancy water treatment system but still had sulfur smell. I convinced him to drain and clean his water heaters and put in new anode rods. This solved his problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #4

Rotten eggs smell

First, the smell comes from anaerobic bacteria in your water. It is a common problem, especially after the RV has sat for awhile. The way you make it go away is to sanitize the system with bleach. There are lots of videos showing you how to do this depending on your system.

Next, anodes for water heaters. If made from steel, zinc and magnesium will work fine. Aluminum requires magnesium. If you want an explanation I can give it to you. However, having a post graduate degree in chemical engineering, and having done corrosion studies I believe I am correct.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
First, the smell comes from anaerobic bacteria in your water. It is a common problem, especially after the RV has sat for awhile. The way you make it go away is to sanitize the system with bleach. There are lots of videos showing you how to do this depending on your system.

Next, anodes for water heaters. If made from steel, zinc and magnesium will work fine. Aluminum requires magnesium. If you want an explanation I can give it to you. However, having a post graduate degree in chemical engineering, and having done corrosion studies I believe I am correct.
Good to know.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
After you sanitize, don't forget to change out your whole house and refrigerator filters. I just recently had to sanitize ours after being at a RV park that has non chlorinated well water.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
After you sanitize, don't forget to change out your whole house and refrigerator filters. I just recently had to sanitize ours after being at a RV park that has non chlorinated well water.
You should pull the filters before sanitizing and throw them away. Next, we use the entry or whole house filter housing minus filter to add the bleach. Put in the amount of bleach you want, screw it together, and run it into your fresh water tank to run through the rest of the system. Don't forget to bypass the water heater.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Final piece of advice - if you are not going to use the motorhome continuously and it is going to sit long periods between trips, simply pull your low water drains, drain the water tank, and drain the water heater.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am assuming you sanitized your system before using it. What most folks seem to forget is to sanitize the water hose. There is a way to use the onboard pump to pump the be,a hose solution thru the supply hose. Do a search here on how.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - A 2020 Bus doesn't have a water heater in the traditional sense. The Aquahot does that function so forget about anode rods. The system needs to be sanitized as has been stated above. Do remove the whole house filter prior to sanitizing and throw it out and insert fresh.

Tom
Old 08-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #11

Thank you. Good information. I have seen differing comments about using bleach vs vinegar vs hydrogen peroxide to sanitize the system. Do you have a suggestion to use since I have the Aqua Hot system?
bg4534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Use chlorine, 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity. Let it sit for 2 or 3 hours only. It is corrosive so Aquahot now says to use it but not to stay in the system for long periods. (They have changed their approach over the years). Flush it well with fresh water so there is no residual. Then get yourself a water softener as your Bus plumbing will do much better with soft water.

Tom
Old 08-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Use chlorine, 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity. Let it sit for 2 or 3 hours only. It is corrosive so Aquahot now says to use it but not to stay in the system for long periods. (They have changed their approach over the years). Flush it well with fresh water so there is no residual. Then get yourself a water softener as your Bus plumbing will do much better with soft water.

Tom
Ditto on the softener. We use a Double On The Go Softener. With 2 people it will last a couple weeks with normal use before having to flush. It’s a great protection device for your rv.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Sanitize RV water system

Here is what I do. I had "plastic" smell and taste when RV was new. This took care of it.

Sanitize RV water system
1. Level RV
2. Drain all water from tank using drain valve, open all facets (hot and cold)
(outside shower, kitchen sink, 2 bath sinks, 2 head shower, toilet)
(washer and dishwasher)
3. Remove water filter element (red button on top relieves pressure)
4. Close drain value and all facets
5. Mix 2 gals water and ¼ to 1 cup chlorine bleach and syphon or pour into water tank
6. Repeat step 5 above (twice…) use 6 gals total (tank = 90 gals / 15 = 6 gals?)
7. Fill tank with fresh water
8. Using water pump, run all facets, flush toilet until you smell bleach
9. Loosen city water check valve to allow chlorine solution to back fill
10. Release pressure at water heater. Use plug to drain water heater while filling with fresh water. Replace drain plug.
11. Let stand for 4+ hours
12. Drain and refill water tank with fresh water
13. Run facets until you DON’T smell bleach[1]
14. Empty holding tanks
15. Add chemicals and about 1 gal water to black tank

[1] You may need to repeat steps 12 and 13 above to remove all bleach
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, water