Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #1

Route Planning Assistant

I am looking for route planning assistance, specifically with more accurate estimated arrival times.

Both the Google Maps and Apple Maps apps assume that we will be traveling along at posted highway speeds. That may be the case when the speed limit is 55 or 60 mph, but when posted speed is 70 or 75, we tend to drop down to a more manageable rate of travel (e.g., 65 mph max); and then we arrive later than the route planner estimated time

When traveling to new destinations, we often struggle to estimate arrival time at layover campgrounds.

Is anyone aware of route planning solutions that allow profile adjustments to specify the maximum speed and then use that setting to estimate arrival time?

After a google search, some suggest Google Map Profile Setting -> Navigation -> Drive options preference allows setting max speed, but I've not found that setting on iPhone.

We are looking at the Garmin 1095 as an upgrade to our built-in navigation assistance, but unfortunately, we do not see a setting for max speed.

Any assistance is most appreciated.
rlfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2023, 08:24 PM   #2

Try Co-Pilot RV app. It is a fully adjustable GPS system that allows speed settings and vehicle dimensions including weight and propane to keep you off roads that are not suitable for your size. It updates over WIFI about 4 times per year. I run my copy on a 8" Android tablet mounted on my dash.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about the Garmin 1095, but in the RV 890 and RV1090 you can set a maximum speed you will travel in the vehicle profile.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #4

I’ve been using RVTrip Wizard for several years. It lets you set your average mph. I usually average 50 mph so shows more accurate drive times. I also use Google maps and paper maps when route planning.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:34 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I used to drive all over the US in a car. I always ended up averaging 50 mph over long distances. With gas stops, coffee/drink breaks, bathroom, it always averaged out even though I was doing 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Just assume 50 and enjoy the drive.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:12 AM   #6

I also use the 50mph rule of thumb for estimating ETA.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:06 PM   #7
PKI

The best RPA is your co-driver. Use 40-50 mph as an average and get out there. Shorten your day and extend your trip length. Works better than hitting all the TSD checkpoints.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:25 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Try Co-Pilot RV app. It is a fully adjustable GPS system that allows speed settings and vehicle dimensions including weight and propane to keep you off roads that are not suitable for your size. It updates over WIFI about 4 times per year. I run my copy on a 8" Android tablet mounted on my dash.
X2 on CoPilot. I use the truck version. Hasn't let me down, and allows for ICC Practical routing, not just fastest or shortest. Standalone RV GPSs have sent me into bad situations more than once.
EarlyFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:16 PM   #9

Roy and Lynn-

The RV-specific Garmins I have had allow you to set your expected speeds on interstates, secondary and small roads. It is in the RV profile settings. You can set them also in the Garmin BaseCamp planning software.

I tended to spend a lot of time on interstates, driving 62 to 64 miles per hour. Including breaks, door-to-door average speed was 45 miles per hour. I was usually not off by more than 20 minutes dividing the daily distance to be covered by 45.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
I’ve been using RVTrip Wizard for several years. It lets you set your average mph. I usually average 50 mph so shows more accurate drive times. I also use Google maps and paper maps when route planning.
Agree on RVTrip Wizard. Nice to plan complete trip on a computer and have it on your smart phone for GPS while driving. I found none to be perfect but also found the Garmin based Kenwood option in our Phaeton to be not much help at times.

I normally use the RV Life GPS/RVTrip Wizard and Apple Car Play with the built-in Kenwood. You get the added benefit of good music from your phone all integrated on one system/screen.

Sam
Old 03-29-2023, 06:55 AM   #11

Drive faster!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:07 AM   #12

dumb response

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Drive faster!!
not helpful
rlfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I downloaded Garmin’s Base Camp to my laptop to route trips and it lets you pick RV and set the speed. After I get my route the way I like it I upload it to my Garmin GPS. We noticed the difference when I gave my with a Garmin Drive 60 to play with as co pilot and it had a shorter duration and earlier arrival time than mine with the custom trip.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post
I am looking for route planning assistance, specifically with more accurate estimated arrival times.

Both the Google Maps and Apple Maps apps assume that we will be traveling along at posted highway speeds. That may be the case when the speed limit is 55 or 60 mph, but when posted speed is 70 or 75, we tend to drop down to a more manageable rate of travel (e.g., 65 mph max); and then we arrive later than the route planner estimated time

When traveling to new destinations, we often struggle to estimate arrival time at layover campgrounds.

Is anyone aware of route planning solutions that allow profile adjustments to specify the maximum speed and then use that setting to estimate arrival time?

After a google search, some suggest Google Map Profile Setting -> Navigation -> Drive options preference allows setting max speed, but I've not found that setting on iPhone.

We are looking at the Garmin 1095 as an upgrade to our built-in navigation assistance, but unfortunately, we do not see a setting for max speed.

Any assistance is most appreciated.
RV LIFE Trip Wizard does everything you need and more. Set your
Driving Radius to Advanced, and set how many hours you want to be behind the wheel. The Average speed baseline is 55. If traveling with kids and pets, go to 50. If traveling without either set it to 60, and then track your time for awhile and customize it. The more stops you make, the slower you set it.

Remember this is an all-day average, not just freeway speed. My perfect average setting is 58mph. We travel with pets, but only travel about 4 hours and do not stop, except for fuel.

Tags
route