Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Running a new coax from the wet bay to the electronics cabinet

I am having a problem with the connection in the wet bay to the electronics cabinet in the bedroom. Does anyone have an idea of how to run a new wire. It is not a long distance, seems the wet bay is almost under the cabinet with the slide out. Any help appreciated.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

If the connector is bad why not replace the connector end on the existing coax?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:35 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
On my 2020 Allegro Bus 40IP, Tiffin service ran a new (cable) coax from the wet bay to the first splitter. On my coach the first splitter for the cable connection was behind the top cabinet above the drivers seat. The coax was routed through the basement bays along the chassis rail. When they got to the front bay it went out over the front wheel well to the front cap area next to the generator. From the front cap they punched out some of the expanded foam insulation that sealed the area under where the drivers side windshield post is. From there they ran the coax up the post (they removed the plastic cover inside to access the coax) it then was routed up through the cabinet above the drivers seat to the first splitter. That splitter ran to the next cabinet above the driver to the back of the booster (the switch that you change OTA antenna or Cable. Don't assume the coax front the wet bay either Cable or Satellite, goes directly to the AV cabinet in the bedroom. Different models will have a different configuration. I would call Tiffin and get a schematic of the cable wiring for your model of coach.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
New TV cable

Even though your desire is to install a replacement COAX, this may help.

I had a problem on our first trip, when my coach was new. The TV over the fireplace stopped working. On my rig the satellite receiver HDMI goes to an HDMI converter box and 4 port hub in a small cabinet next to the receiver (cabinet has a fan to aid cooling). The converter allows running a smaller network cable (CAT5 or CAT6) to a converter box next to the TV. Network cables have a small plastic plug (similar to an old telephone cable) with a locking pin that allows them to click into the socket. It’s common for these locking pins to break off allowing the plug to slide out of the socket. As a temp fix I taped the plug into the socket and everything was working normal again.

When I returned home, I noted the cable was too short and stretched to reach the converter box. This was likely the cause of the damage and made it impossible to simply cut off the bad plug and replace it with a new plug. Since this is a high-speed data cable, you can’t simply splice it. It needs to be replaced. Since my rig was new, I reported the issue and indicated that a new cable was required between the converter box and the TV. Long story, short, after a year and 3 month long service fixes the TV was still not working properly.

So I set out to replace the cable myself. The challenge was that the satellite receiver and HDMI box were in the bedroom/bath slide out and the TV was not. There is a metal channel under the slide and above the wet bay that contains all wiring between the slide and the main body. It also contains hot and cold plumbing and the drain line for the bath sinks. Running the new cable from the converter box, under the drawers, under the bath cabinet was easy. “Fishing” the wire through the channel was nearly impossible. The plumbing was twisted in the channel and basically plugged up the hole. I learned that there are 2 screws that attach a lid to the channel located outside, under the slide wall. Although the lid cannot be removed, it can be slid back making it easier to “fish” the wire through the channel. Then from above the wet bay to the AquaHot cabinet next door, up through the floor to under the shower, to the wall behind the TV. Fixed!
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up having a minor issue that I was able to correct. There is a lot to be said about working on a project when you are tired.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote