Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #43

All of the above are correct. It should switch over to Inverter when shore power is disconnected. If not, when disconnecting shore power, check inverter is on and if fridge is not on, push the on buttons to start (in fridge). still problems? probably the auto switch is not working properly.
HandyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You likely have a inverter/charger unit. The inverter portion provides 120vac via the house battery bank for the residential refrigerator and other selected circuits.

Ensure the inverter is turned ON. When turned ON it will automatically enable/disable based on the presence or absence of shore/genny power.

The house battery bank is charged by the engine alternator when traveling.
Several have said the alternator will charge house batteries. In my Monaco Cayman the alternator does NOT charge the house batteries only the chassis batteries. My generator through my inverter chargers the house bats along with solar.
ronbunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbunge View Post
Several have said the alternator will charge house batteries. In my Monaco Cayman the alternator does NOT charge the house batteries only the chassis batteries. My generator through my inverter chargers the house bats along with solar.
Then you need to get your Monaco looked at. The alternator is supposed to charge the coach AND chassis batteries.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdbetsy View Post
We have a 2021 Open Road Allegro with a residential size refrigerator. Is there a way to keep the refrigerator on while traveling? Does the generator have to be running?
Hi Your inverter should be able to handle the small load your fridge puts out when travelling you won't need your generator.

Thanks

Paul
PMCAGENCIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
We have a 2021 Open Road Allegro with a residential size refrigerator. Is there a way to keep the refrigerator on while traveling? Does the generator have to be running?
We have a residential refrigerator in our 2015 Itasca Meridian. Our refrigerator is always on when driving because engine alternator charges the house batteries & the inverter allows the house batteries to run the refrigerator. -OR- If the generator is on to run the AC, yes it will run the refrigerator.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #48

House refrigerator

Quote:
As many have said the home style refrigerators run on 120 volts AC. The question is where can you 120 volts? Shore power is obvious, but not practical on the road unless you have a really long extension cord.

Second option is the generator, no muss - no fuss, it is their ready to go.

Third option is the use of inverters. If the refrigerator installation was originally designed by Allegro (they have a good reputation) then the inverter, the battery bank and the main engine alternator should all be sized for the additional load demanded of a house refrigerator. You are probably good to go.

On the other hand if this alteration was accomplished by someone other than Allegro, you need to address the previously noted issues.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2016 36LA with the residential frig. We have the Magnum Energy system it is located in the overhead compartment above the drivers seat. Here is a link to the owners manual. So make sure both the rocker switch on the main panel is on and the inverter above the drivers seat is on.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/53...Rc.html#manual
dsisemore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #50

I have a 2016 36LA. It does have the residential frig and the TripLite Inverter and 4 house batteries. The inverter is in the compartment below the driver's seat. As some have said make sure the master switch (a yellow handle flip switch mounted in upper right of compartment) is turned to on, the inverter does come on. Check to make sure the master 12V switch inside the doorway is also set to ON.
When I store my unit I flip the master 12V switch off and also the inverter too - no need to keep refrig going while stored.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #51

Residential fridge

Quote:
Best thing we ever did was to put a residential fridge in-The Samsung 18 cu.ft. fit the hole perfectly. Our 4 house batteries with invertor work perfect on the road-just did 2000 miles-all perfect!
rreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #52

Turn the Inverter on at the power control panel in the cabinet orver the drivers side window.

You will find the panel has a dial that you turn to select what you want to control and when you see that item push the dial to select that function.

You turn the charger on an also the inverter on from there.

A green light will turn on when the inverter is running.

The inverter will power the Fridge, Microwave, TV, and some outlets too.

When the engine is running it will charge all batteries so the only reason to run the generator while driving is to run the AC's.

There is a 120V breaker (Ours is in the bedroom closet) that will turn the refer off it it doesn't come on when the inverter shows green.

Remember to turn the inverter to off at the power control panel when the coach is stored since it is powered directly to the batteries so the battery compartment switches do not disconnect the inverter from the battery banks.

Happy camping
Old 08-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #53

Generally speaking if a coach is equipped with a (Home) refrigerator (compressor) then it will run on a provided inverter, otherwise you would have no cooling when underway.

To confirm the inverter is on - the TV and some if not all receptacles will be hot when not plugged in. In most cases the Micro will also run on the inverter. If its a Magnum or Xantrex inverter there are small push on breakers located on the inverter itself confirm the inverter has some Led's and the breakers are not tripped.

If the fridge runs when plugged in or on the generator, and you want to continue your trip - you can run the generator for 30 minutes every 2 hours and it will keep the refrigerator cool when your traveling.

I included an image of a Xantrex 3012 inverter note the inverter can be turned on directly on the panel (right lower) and there are 3 re-settable breakers on the top left.

I also included a few of my own images of the Pro 1000-3000 has that push beaker as well.

Stay Safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 9.41.16 AM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	341138   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRO MAGNUM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	341139  

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Running refrigerator while traveling

Hi everyone,

I’m really pleased to report that with all of your input, insight and clues I’ve gotten the fridge to run on the inverter. It was a bit confusing because all indications were that the inverter had been on the whole time. Green light on, etc. I pushed the On/Off button (for me located in compartment above driver seat). Then pushed it again after starting engine. Eureka! The refrigerator came on! I’m really thrilled y’all helped solve this for me! We were running the generator in order to keep front A/C on but as it starts to cool down I’d like to not run generator just for fridge.

Anyway…thank you all again! I’m so pleased!
Old 08-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #55

Enjoy your beautiful ride . . .

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #56

Just ran the generator for a good 2hrs today while we were on the way to the campground. I did it for the fridge and also the AC since it’s a balmy 92 today. Don’t be afraid to run the gen, that’s why one was installed in your coach.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, travel