Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Running residential refrigerator in storage

We will be storing our Open Road 34PA in a facility that is covered and also has 15A power available for keeping things charged up. Our plan is to do all of the standard winterization such as draining, antifreeze, etc... then we will keep it plugged into 15A to keep batteries charged etc... we would like to keep the residential refrigerator running, just to keep extra condiments etc... stored rather than having to unload them; we would turn off water to the ice maker and drain it. The average low temperature here is 32 degrees F, in January. The lowest ever recorded, in December, was -1 degrees F. The question is, what are thoughts on keeping the refrigerator running in these conditions? We think it wouldn't be much different that having a fridge in the typical garage.
Also, we will put the recommended amount of Seafoam SF16 in the gas to keep it stabalized, and will run the engine, maybe take it for a drive monthly or so.
Please share your thoughts and recommendations; much appreciated - thanks!
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We keep ours running all the time in storage but we do use it monthly, even in winter. Keeping it running actually will help keep the ice maker water line from freezing. The compressor will give off just enough warmth to keep the space behind the fridge from freezing. If you have an access panel behind the fridge, I would put a piece of rigid foam in the opening to help insulate it. I would turn the inverter off just in case you lose power it doesn't completely deplete the house batteries.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #3

Keeping the residential refrigerator on is OK. BUT (large BUT) I would not enable the inverter. If shore power goes out, you really don't want to chance totally draining the house battery bank. Better to loose the condiments.

Yes, using a fuel conditioner and totally filling the tank to minimize condensation is a good idea.

Assume you have a smart charger or smart inverter/charger and also have it properly programmed.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
PKI

Certainly doable ..... Your down side, a tripped breaker or any loss of power gets you a bigger problem than loading the condiments in a box and taking them home. There is also the deal that the frig needs some cleaning periodically and prior to storage is a good time to do that chore. A positive is when you have the contents available to inspect, you know what you have and therefore what to replenish for the next trip. Worst case, it's only a bit of work, whichever way you run your ship.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

It seems like I have seen or heard somewhere that my batteries will not charge if the inverter is turned off, in my Open Road 32SA. Does anyone know if that is correct?
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Have you tried plugging into the 15A circuit yet?
Outlet should be GFCI protected and many MHs don't play well with GFCI. Even if yours is OK initially another customer may trip the circuit. I have had the issue with previous MH and went to using a batty maintainer instead of plugging the MH in. Side benefit is it saves using the inverter charger 24/7/365, inverters have been known to start fires on rate occasions... I dont like running stuff unattended for extended periods when not essential

I know I'm in the minority and many / most will say just p,ug it in!
The other side benefit where I store is owned has agreed to running lo A maintainer at no charge for powered storage... not so if I plug in MH.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

I think you have a good plan but like others already said, I would turn the inverter off.

An old trick I learned years ago is to put a cube of ice in a a sealed bag and set it in the freezer. If you return and find it melted, you know there was a power failure and to throw what food you have in it away.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Have you tried plugging into the 15A circuit yet?
Outlet should be GFCI protected and many MHs don't play well with GFCI. Even if yours is OK initially another customer may trip the circuit. I have had the issue with previous MH and went to using a batty maintainer instead of plugging the MH in. Side benefit is it saves using the inverter charger 24/7/365, inverters have been known to start fires on rate occasions... I dont like running stuff unattended for extended periods when not essential

I know I'm in the minority and many / most will say just p,ug it in!
The other side benefit where I store is owned has agreed to running lo A maintainer at no charge for powered storage... not so if I plug in MH.

Our MH and TT before the MH did not play well being pluged in to a GFI. I ended up running a new circuit non-gfi.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Also, when leaving your MH plugged in during storage, be sure to check your house batteries every 4-6 weeks for electrolyte level. Add dionized water as neeeded to keep them at the proper level. Quick and easy to do, and important. You will be adding water periodically, and this should help assure long battery life.
In storage, we leave ours plugged in, and the fridge running. But, like Lt. Dan, we use the MH every month or so.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
It seems like I have seen or heard somewhere that my batteries will not charge if the inverter is turned off, in my Open Road 32SA. Does anyone know if that is correct?
Thanks,

wog099 what model inverter do you have? Mine is the Magnum MS2000. It is an inverter/charger. See below what my manual states about storage. If you have the MS2000 this should answer your question. I leave the inverter and house battery switch on and turn off the inverter in the cabinet where the controls are located.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnum MS2000.png
Views:	55
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	345745
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
wog099 what model inverter do you have? Mine is the Magnum MS2000. It is an inverter/charger. See below what my manual states about storage. If you have the MS2000 this should answer your question. I leave the inverter and house battery switch on and turn off the inverter in the cabinet where the controls are located.

Attachment 345745
Appreciate the info; I found my model and printed the manual and will study up on it. I have the Magnum MM1212, 1,200 watt modified sine. My directions are almost verbatim to yours, so I will be able to keep the batteries charging but turn the inverter off. Thanks for clarifying how that works.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
Thanks,
You may be correct. Depending on the brand. The original equipment in my 2006 Winnebago Journey was a Dimensions 2000. Control panel inside with all the other displays etc. You could set it for invertor off or inverter standby. Also you could set the maximum charge current for the charger, so yes, on that one I could turn the inverter off and leave the charger on.

It died. I replaced it with a 2000 watt Renology. While it is programable for all sorts of stuff from battery type, charge settings and gives better information of the battery condition, the drawback is it is either on or off. When on it charges until shore power disconnects. Then the inverter starts up. If you turn it off, neither charges or inverts.

So read up on the make and model you have to make sure you know how it works.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #13

For those running residential fridge in cold Wx dont count on the freezer maintaing temp to store anything frozen safely. Most will not maintain a steady zero degree temp w/o mods or work arounds.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #14

Risky....

Many RVs probably on the same electrical circuit.
Usually, in storage, the 15 amp is used to keep batteries up in a float state (trickle charge).
And if the breaker goes out, the fridge will develop mildew. Nasty.
If voltage drops to below 107 volts, more dangerous. A compressor running on low voltage will draw more amps and will eventually fail.
Risky...
Michel Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, refrigerator