Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

RV driving school by Tiffin factory

I read a opossum somewhere here regarding a new Tiffin owner going from the factory to a nearby rv driving school. Does anyone know anything about this school?
I will be ordering a Red37BA and will be pulling a Colorado zr2 Bison truck and I figure this will be about 60ft total length and have never owned anything bigger than a Roadtrek van.
Am I worried over nothing and the school is not needed?
Thanks
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
I read a opossum
I can'trecommend a driving school, but I can offer an observation: Possums don't appreciate being read. ;-)

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts that contain the terms "driving school" and "Tiffin:"

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22d...ite%3Airv2.com

This post may also help in your search.

Enjoy the new coach. You'll be driving like a pro in no time.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #3

Hi there, we picked up our 37BA in Sherman, Mississippi then spent a few days at the Heritage Acres Campground in Florence, AL (both very close to Red Bay). In Florence we took a two day driving school, the instructor was Jimmie Johnson, my wife and I felt it was well worth it. Best of luck with the rig and safe travels!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Are you driving now ?!?
If so, the main difference is turning radius and when to turn...
the height and width are secondary concerns...

What I told the wife when she started driving ws never, EVER let circumstances rush you, and put the front outside tire in a turn as far to the outside of the turn as you need to... Since the front wheels are behind us in ours, go PAST the turn to turn in...

IMHO, if you are a competent driver now, the fear of paying for the new coach/toad and not being able to use it if wrecked will make you pay attention and go slow to ensure your safety
Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Thanks you guys.

I am not driving anything now.

We decided to get the larger 37BA instead of the 33AA in the Red Allegro as my wife likes the extra half bath and the extra cabinets in the kitchen.
My good friend told me that with the length of this and a Colorado pick up truck I will have about 60 ft. He said that about 70% of the state park camp grounds will now be too small for me to get into.

Gary
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

check out FMCA, I think they have some courses on learning how to drive and
Escapees have some classes about RVing. Might consider going to a truck driving school and get a real CDL. Dave
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #7

Same reason we got the 37BA instead of the 33. We are not towing anything yet but will be towing a GMC Acadia. RVschool.com is where we found Jimmie in Florence AL. They have locations all over. We would do it again. Best of luck!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Thanks you guys.

I am not driving anything now.

We decided to get the larger 37BA instead of the 33AA in the Red Allegro as my wife likes the extra half bath and the extra cabinets in the kitchen.
My good friend told me that with the length of this and a Colorado pick up truck I will have about 60 ft. He said that about 70% of the state park camp grounds will now be too small for me to get into.

Gary
without starting a state park size argument ; consider your friend seriously lacking in knowledgeable info on state parks.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I drive 40 DP and pull Buick Enclave. We have stayed in state and other public parks in most parts of the country. It does limit you some but there are spaces out there.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

We also bought our 37BH at Sherman RV and stayed for a few weeks in Florence, Alabama. We used Jimmie Johnson and were pleased with the lessons. We had been driving a class C and thought it was prudent to take some lessons before driving the diesel pusher. It was a real confidence builder for me and my wife.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #11

Did I read correctly? A Goldwing on a lift on a Phaeton 40 IH with no tag or in the back of the pickup?

When we last at Camp Red Bay there was an Allegro Bus 37AP with a Harley on a hydro lift. I asked the owner if he had weighed the coach loaded. His answer, no it drove fine. I told him he was severely overloaded on the drive axle and underloaded on the steer axle. He said he didn't care.

Bob and Sunny Penland
'18 AB 37AP
Treefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #12

Beaver Coach Sales, in Bend, Oregon, is putting on a free all day class A driving School later this month. It is already filled and they are taking standbys for maybe another class later.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Your dealer will provide a little mini class. It was enough for us to drive to Tuscumbia, AL where we had arranged to meet Jimmy Johnson who works through rvdrivingschool.com. I highly recommend both the program and a Johnson.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin