Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

RV insurance. Word of caution.

Our rv insurance is up for annual renewal. Our current policy went up slightly so decided to shop around. Contacted a company whose flyer we picked up at an rv show this spring. They allegedly shop a number of companies to find you the best deal for the coverages you select. Bottom line they recommended the same company with the same coverages we currently have, but at a renewal rate twice that the company quoted me directly for our renewal. Quite a finders fee, 100%. My suggestion to those seeking to obtain or renew your insurance, go directly to a company yourself. These so called “finder” companies don’t work for free, and just add their cut on top of the rates you could obtain yourself. Buyer beware.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Nice piece of info. Thanks
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Progressive through FMCA.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #4

Geico direct saved us over 50%.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #5

Neither geico or progressive came close.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
Compared to whom ?
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Is your annual premium under $1,000 for full coverage with $1,000 deductible on a $225,000 coach? Mine is.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Is your annual premium under $1,000 for full coverage on a $225,000 coach? Mine is.

The state where registered makes a large difference in insurance premiums. As do deductibles and other details such as coverage limits. And driver records. Etc.

The devil truly is in the details.

Ray
Old 07-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Also be careful about the "free" apps that the insurance companies offer. They have the ability to track you through your cell phone and find out how far you drive, where you go and what you do. The tracking information may affect your rates. Be careful of what you install on your phone and the permissions you give it. Progressive's new app for sure.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserchrome View Post
Also be careful about the "free" apps that the insurance companies offer. They have the ability to track you through your cell phone and find out how far you drive, where you go and what you do. The tracking information may affect your rates. Be careful of what you install on your phone and the permissions you give it. Progressive's new app for sure.
How would they know you were driving your motorhome, car, motorcycle or in a friends car or even a boat if you had your phone with you? I bet a plane ride would get their attention.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:46 PM   #11
NXR

RV insurance. Word of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher
How would they know you were driving your motorhome, car, motorcycle or in a friends car or even a boat if you had your phone with you? I bet a plane ride would get their attention. [emoji41]

He may be referring to an ODBII module that collects the data and relays it through your cell phone.

As an aside, when we flew to Hawaii I brought my auto Garmin GPS so I could use it with a rental car. Part way through the flight I put it by the window and could track our progress across the Pacific.

I will not reset the cumulative stats because it shows my maximum speed as 587 MPH. If I ever wreck the car I hope I live long enough to see the look on the cop's face when he checks the GPS to see how fast I was going. [emoji4]

Ray
Old 07-15-2022, 10:24 PM   #12

Keep in mind that a cheap insurance rate isn’t a good deal if the insurer doesn’t pay claims fairly…. Or at all. A google search will show which insurance companies have bad reputations.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Insurance companies have both the obd or the cellphone version of trackers for “good drivers” discounts. I elected not to use either, the idea of unknown persons tracking my children’s location makes me a bit uneasy, a few of our vehicles don’t have obdII ports anyway. The cell phone version doesn’t distinguish between driver or passenger. So for example if two of my kids and I are traveling, the phones show triple the actual miles driven. Although it’d be interesting to see how big a discount I would get from running back and forth for 10 hours cutting and baling at 8 mph with no sudden stops or quick acceleration.

Found Erie Insurance beat State Farm significantly (50%+) in premiums for the exact same coverage. I was with State Farm for 40 years with one claim. They refused to match Erie, although if I put everything in a different name, they’d be a new customer and State Farm would match the price for the “new business”. Just got my renewal after the first year, and my premiums dropped $175.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Keep in mind that a cheap insurance rate isn’t a good deal if the insurer doesn’t pay claims fairly…. Or at all. A google search will show which insurance companies have bad reputations.
Amen, to that!

I bought an extended warranty policy from PATRIOT WARRANTY to cover a tow car I had recently purchased. They "threw in" $ 100 for oil changes and $ 100 for tire warranty. In the first year I got the oil changed and submitted the claim for the reimbursement. They took several weeks but finally paid. Then I had a tire claim. I submitted all the bills and invoices and a few weeks later called and was told they needed more info. I sent that. Then the claim was in review, then it had been approved and the check would be cut in a few days, then it was the check got lost they will check and get back - Ha!. It has now been 7 months on a $ 100 claim and they no longer return calls, answer the phone or emails. I have filed complaints with the South Dakota State Consumer protection, BBB and other's. Sure glad the claim wasn't for a few thousand dollars. Looks like I threw away about $ 1,700 (minus the $ 100).

I have found that motorhome, boat or RV insurance quotes depend on: where you live, what you have (age, type, value), where you store it, how much you use it, past claims, coverage, your age, driving record and any discounts you may get. You should try FMCA, Good Sam, AAA, veterans programs or whatever you are entitled. I have had Geico and Allstate work best for me. Although some have good experience I personally wouldn't have Progressive if they were the least expensive (which for me they never have).
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance