Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Rv jack won't retract

I have a 2015 Tifton Allegro. I'm having problems with my left rear jack retracting all the way. It's a hydraulic system I have enough fluid in the the reservoir but the last couple of times that I have used my auto level system the right rear has came up extremely slow and now I'm not able to even retract it at all. I've read the owner's manual where I can manually release the fluid from that Jack but then it says I need to see someone to have it serviced before I use it again. I hope it's some simple fix so if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this happening to them I would greatly appreciate your input.
JBC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Telling us what brand of jacks you have would be helpful.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

Assuming you have the HWH leveling system, extend jacks, spray the jack shafts with WD40, wipe it off with a clean rag. Attempt to store jacks again, if they still do not store properly, repeat the cleaning process.
Here is the website: http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html
If they still fail to fully retract, you may have a bent jack-shaft, or weak retraction springs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBC330 View Post
I have a 2015 Tifton Allegro. I'm having problems with my left rear jack retracting all the way. It's a hydraulic system I have enough fluid in the the reservoir but the last couple of times that I have used my auto level system the right rear has came up extremely slow and now I'm not able to even retract it at all. I've read the owner's manual where I can manually release the fluid from that Jack but then it says I need to see someone to have it serviced before I use it again. I hope it's some simple fix so if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this happening to them I would greatly appreciate your input.
Is it possible to use a hydraulic jack to take some of the weight off of it. Not permanent fix but it might get it up?
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my front jacks. I've had them repaired/replaced a couple times. When I get stuck in a campground and jacks won't retract all the way, I use a 2x4 as a lever and push them up manually. It works. Good luck with a permanent fix.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

What sofa said. both the problem and short term fix. Power lube is recomended
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same issue with one of my rear jacks (HWH system). Talked to a tech @ Tiffin... Told me to pick up a can of a Boeing specialty lube called Boeshield T9.
I sprayed it on the extended jack and it now is the fastest retracting one! Keep in mind that as temps cool down, jack retract time can increase dramatically.
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Thank you for responding. We have done that and it worked then at our next stop we sprayed it again it worked fine then as we readjusted and now it doesn't want to retract at all. I read that we can open the valve to allow it to go up but worried that we might mess something up. We have a good that knows the system and is coming to help but I really want to learn how to do this myself without having to pay another person.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

Jbc, on the hydraulic unit there are solenoids for each jack. On top of the solenoids are valves that when pulled or rotated open simply relieve the pressure off that line and allow the fluid to drain back into the main tank. The return springs on the jacks should move the jack up easily in a normal scenario. However, as stated before, if you have cleaned the jack piston while fully extended a few times without improvement, you have a larger issue, bent piston, broken or missing return springs. Since you say it works at times, it is not likely a solid electrical or solenoid problem..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

HWH Leveling system
Old 10-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

Hwh Leveling system
Old 10-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #12

Thank you for your input we have tried to use a 2 by 4 to try to push it up but still won't go did you release the valve? We have sprayed it but now it won't retract at all.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #13

Jbc, make sure you have the system engaged, meaning, ignition key in on position, emergency brake on, and auto store/retract button is pressed and system is attempting to raise jacks. This electronically opens all the solenoids to allow springs or a well placed 2x4 to work the jack up.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #14

Thank you for replying. I'm going to retract all the Jack's and then if the problem Jack's doesn't come back up then I will release the valve. Then try to extend and retract it with more lubrication spray. If I do this will it damage it by releasing the valve to retract then extend it a couple of times?