Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #1

RV Safe Location Recommendations

We recently purchased a 2017 Tiffin Allegro 36LA and looking to install a safe. Due to limited space we are looking at potentially installing a flat surface insert safe meaning opening a hole somewhere and concerned about what is behind the hole. Any experienced recommendations?
Duncanwilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tiffin usually installs them in the DS back wall of the bedroom closet.
I installed a small safe on the floor in the same area on a previous MH, did not cut a hole but bolted it to the floor. I was just big enough to hold valuable docs.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #3

Your suggestion is where we were headed. After posting my question I thought about it further and decided that that cutting an opening probably would not work since I still needed to bolt it to something. We will do as you did and bolt into the closet floor. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2020 32SA and I was also trying to determine where I could mount a safe, without causing any other issues (since I have no idea where water and electrical lines are routed). So bottom of the closest is a safe place to mount one?
Neal D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We're in a similar situation, about to start RVing full time, and just cleaned out our safe deposit box at the local bank. We bought a 0.28 cf fire/ waterproof safe at Lowe's and I was planning on trying it either (1) under bed, (2) closet floor or (3) basement, but hadn't given thought to affixing it (and there's no capability to do so). The contents are mostly documents that are important to us, but very few "valuables" per se. Now you're making me think!
PLColman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is it better just to hide whatever??? I installed a safe, a few years back, but have second thoughts??

So if someone comes into my MH and finds the safe. Is what I have in the safe, worth having them beat up the MH trying to remove it?? Most likely they will get the safe out of the plywood floor, aluminum exterior frame or interior walls.

So some money and some passports? Maybe I just need to find a new good hiding spot, and remove the safe?

Maybe a fireproof box thats keep unlocked for the documents that are of no value to others?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Is it better just to hide whatever??? I installed a safe, a few years back, but have second thoughts??

So if someone comes into my MH and finds the safe. Is what I have in the safe, worth having them beat up the MH trying to remove it?? Most likely they will get the safe out of the plywood floor, aluminum exterior frame or interior walls.

So some money and some passports? Maybe I just need to find a new good hiding spot, and remove the safe?

We carry absolutely nothing that would require a safe. Takes care of the issue. No cash, no cards, no expensive trinkets. Leave it secured at home or in the safety deposit box.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have scanned documents that I need to carry and keep them locked in a secure digital vault that's on my notebook computer and syncs to my phone.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #9

If you are really paranoid, consider mounting your safe in the engine compartment.
I can neither confirm nor deny that's what I did.

Mike in Colorado
Old 01-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #10

You could make a false compartment under the bed to make the storage area appear a bit smaller by using the same materials that the factory used (carpet, etc.). Simply snap it in place with some cabinet latches. Hope that makes sense.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #11

I have looked at the floor of the closet and it is very thick particle board. You can also get to the underside by taking out the clothes hamper. Seems like a good location to secure a safe in the closet. Concerns about mounting under the bed as the bed is on a slide. Mounting underneath is another viable solution. Thanks all for some great feedback.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
A "You Loot We Shoot" warning should suffice. Maybe add a photo of your Rottweiler!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #13

We have a 2017 40ft Phaeton and installed a safe on the cabinet in the rear closet above the electrical stuff.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:48 PM   #14

Safe installation

I would read about the Fireproof safes and boxes, and find out just how fireproof they actually are. Some of them are only secure for so many minutes. Just Thinking...MOMCAT

Tags
cat