Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Sad story for 2014 36LA

Well were now at Red Bay Service center once more for a new 36LA camper we purchased on the 31st of March. First time we were only 4 1/2 hours away and the legs quit working. That repair took them 1 and half weeks to fix. Second trip here was 896 miles away one way and two and half days ride. Wife found 31 things to repair which took two weeks and one day from 7:00am to 3:30 everyday. This last time we were closer we were only 883 miles away before we lost all power for everything inside of camper. another two and half days to get here. they only give you 12 months or 12,000 miles so far in the last six months we've wasted over 2000 miles getting here. we only have 500 miles and 6 more months to go and another 890 mile ride home if and when they get it done. The wife is ready to shoot me over it. I think if it caught fire on the side of the road she would roast marsh mellows at the fire before calling fire company. I think were selling as soon as repairs complete. This is our second and more than likely our last Allegro Unit.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Really sorry to hear of all your problems. I can't understand how it happens in the manufacturing process that one coach has all the problems (yours) and another (mine) has had only a few minor problems fixed with one appointment at a local dealer last December. My one year anniversary will be up in a month and I only have to get the bottom door seal replaced yet.
Must be an issue of at certain times there is a lot of pressure to get the units out the door to satisfy demand at the expense of quality. Tiffin better address this to maintain their good name.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #3

Either your wife is really going overboard on a lot of things to have 31 problems or you should have unloaded this unit right from the beginning. In our camping club 2 members have new Winnebago Adventurers and have had several problems, so all rv's seem to need to be checked out, when you get them. If you haven't talked to Tiffin Mgmt you should and let them keep the unit till it's fixed. Good Luck Dave
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

It is sad indeed my 36LA I bought on 5/1/2012. I'm still getting things fixed fortunatley I dont have to pay for after I talked to Mr, Bob Tiffen. I made one trip to Red Bay 2,000 miles one way and spent 3 weeks. Anyway I've been in & out of Service more than a dozen times. And sad to say I'm still wating for it to be fixed after I droped it off 10 days ago. I'm fulltiming and this is a big hassle. Not only is it getting expensive but also I don't get full use until it's all fixed and I can't go to far in case something happens again. They won't take it back for something else either. Like you I think we're selling as soon as repairs complete. This is our first and more than likely our last Allegro Unit. Quantity over Quality, but no Quality control.
Bluestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz427 View Post
Well were now at Red Bay Service center once more for a new 36LA camper we purchased on the 31st of March. First time we were only 4 1/2 hours away and the legs quit working. That repair took them 1 and half weeks to fix. Second trip here was 896 miles away one way and two and half days ride. Wife found 31 things to repair which took two weeks and one day from 7:00am to 3:30 everyday. This last time we were closer we were only 883 miles away before we lost all power for everything inside of camper. another two and half days to get here. they only give you 12 months or 12,000 miles so far in the last six months we've wasted over 2000 miles getting here. we only have 500 miles and 6 more months to go and another 890 mile ride home if and when they get it done. The wife is ready to shoot me over it. I think if it caught fire on the side of the road she would roast marsh mellows at the fire before calling fire company. I think were selling as soon as repairs complete. This is our second and more than likely our last Allegro Unit.

It would be helpful to other newer 36la owners like me, if you could mention a few of the big hitter problems you've had and what the fix was. When you say "legs" quit working, you mean the leveling jacks?
Don't get discouraged, be relentless with Tiffin management and talk it through with us here.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #6

Also grizz, could I ask why you feel Red Bay is the only place you can get warranty service? Is there no reputable Tiffin dealer closer than 900 miles?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #7

Tiffin 36LA problems??

Don't understand why some people think the only place to get this fixed is the factory? Has dealer not been able to do repairs? I have not had mine back to the dealer yet since we purchased ours last August. When my car or appliance breaks down I certainly would not send it to the manufacturer for repairs.
31 repairs? seriously? Sure I have had a few cosmetic things to fix or replace but I had dealer send parts to me which might take all of 5 minutes to install myself. I can hardly blame Tiffin for fogged up clearance lights or fogged headlight which is a GM part.
If I needed the roof replaced or something major like that it would most likely need to go back to the manufacturer but 30 some odd fixes?
Why would I be tying up my new RV for so long for simple repairs and drive 100's of miles? Not me.
I am on my 4th rv and have yet to go to any dealer for repairs.
As I have mentioned on previous posts if one is not somewhat mechanically inclined RVing is not for you.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
KJB

I think my situation is more the norm than the exception. I bought a 2014 36LA and love it. I did have a list of 12 minor things I had my reputable dealer address for me. None of those items would have stopped me from using the RV and all were taken care of to my satisfaction. For me, the 36LA is the perfect RV.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #9

Grizz? I assume you are at Red Bay... Will you be updating your thread or was your thread just meant to be a one and done slam on Tiffin.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your problems. We purchased ours March 2012 and with the exception of a cracked windshield have no problems with ours. Of course there were a few minor things that we had repaired under warranty, but, we did not return to Red Bay for those items. Our local RV dealership, which does not sell Tiffins, performed those repairs without any hassle. The items they repaired were things that were not Tiffin specific such as the ice maker. Again we very satisfied with ours.
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #11

There is a good reason that ALL RV manufacturers have strikingly similar problems with new builds. All of them are aren't bad builders. The problem is the garbage electronics and systems that they all use sourced from the same manufacturers. LCI (don't even get me started on the Schwintek abortion), PowerGear/Kwikee, WFCO, ESCO, Magnum, no-name controllers for lighting, Jensen electronic displays, absolutely unreliable deplorable backup/sideview cameras and monitors with horrible resolution and color, VacuFlush (oh my), junk plumbing valves, connectors and fittings, interior cabinet door hinges and latches so thin that either break or bend within a few uses, and I could go on and on and on.

I work on these for a living and have seen a lot of builder construction mistakes - and of course many things I would do differently to make servicing them easier - however the overwhelming majority of "warranty" items I have to fix are almost never to construction or installation by the coach manufacturer themselves.

Yes, the coach manufacturer obviously is bound by their warranty which includes products sourced elsewhere but rarely do I lay absolute blame on Fleetwood or Tiffin or Newmar or (insert manufacturer name here). As a coach builder I would be frustrated with the quality of the electronics and equipment available to me in the price range that we as consumers are willing to pay for.

Likewise, if I was to build one with top quality products my 40' coach would cost upwards of $500,000. Ok Im done ranting
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

After 30+ years of RVing, 4 new motor homes, I am totally surprised of any RV manufacturer putting out a product with that many problems.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the length of the warranty.. You should ask (Polietly at first) for them to extend it, .. no charge.

You also need to learn how to handle minor issues,, Some of what you cited I'd likely have fixed myself (And one of them I did) since it was easier to fix it than find a dealer.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #14

Still Sad

Wi-Fi bad here at Red Bay have to go to McDonalds to get out. yes there are a lot of things that seem to be wrong with this unit and most of them have a lot to do with this new spider wiring system they put in the units. They have a lot of units coming back with the same problem. not just a slamming of Tiffin and Yes we have been in contact with Bob's office and they have agreed to extent our warranty for an extra 6 months unlimited mileage to make sure we get past the problems. We contacted the place we purchased the camper from and were told a month and a half just to talk about our problems. This was closer here than running home and using up our mileage. As you know they give you 12 months or 12,000 miles for the warranty period. Well were now sitting at 11,555 miles and only five and a half miles in to the time frame. We as of last Thursday we are number 37 out from seeing a bay for them to start work so I guess were here for a while. I can receive your messages but can't send out un less I ride to McDonalds with computer. if and thing changes I'll take the ride to let you all know.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote