Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I posted this over on the Tiffin Network forum but have not hits yet so I thought I would post it here too.

Anybody have photos of an installation of a Sani-Con on a late model Allegro Bus or Phaeton?

I am considering one but the space required appears to be inadequate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I posted this over on the Tiffin Network forum but have not hits yet so I thought I would post it here too.

Anybody have photos of an installation of a Sani-Con on a late model Allegro Bus or Phaeton?

I am considering one but the space required appears to be inadequate.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #3

I bought an RV Sani-con a couple of years ago. It has worked OK, except for gray tank odors which I attributed to the device. The company has apparently been sold to Dometic. My unit recently failed, causing a most unpleasant black tank incident. I disconnected it and plan to throw it away. Since I switched back to the large sewer hose I have not had problems with gray tank odors.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve,

I have one on my Phaeton. Had it installed when I bought the coach.

The grey water by-pass quit working most of the time. Not good because my wife keeps the washer/dryer rockin & rollin when we're on the road. Constantly pumping out the tank. I have not noticed any grey water odor with my unit.

Like Lawrence I've had "a most unpleasant black tank incident." The motor jammed and was unable to find the proper slot (best I can understand the instructions - a clearing crank similar to those found in garbage disposals) so that I could manually turn the grinders and clear the clog. The installation/instruction booklet (folded over page) is so close to worthless that you can't tell the difference.

Mine is mounted behind and slightly to the left of the y connecting the black & grey water drains. I"ll try and upload a picture.

If you need any extension, make sure you use a 1" hose. The others are too small and may burn the unit up.

When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, its a real "stinker."
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Steve,

I havn't installed my Sanicon yet, but will be doing so soon. I did however look at the bay pretty carefully and decided that the pump that attaches directly to the sewer outlet bayonets probably won't fit.

What I plan on doing is using the Sanicon with the flexible 3" heavy rubber hose that connects to the sewer outlet. The hose allows the pump to be mounted remotely.

Another advantage of using the unit with the hose is that it's easy to remove the pump when parked right next to a sewer or when using a dump station. Typically I use the old 3" slinky at a dump station or if I can position the rig right next to the sewer outlet at a full hook-up site. I use the Sanicon when I can't get close to the sewer hookup for a 3" slinky.

Here's a picture of the Sanicon in my old Journey with the black flexible hose hookup. Of course on the Tiffin, the hose will be probably be shorter.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.
I was planing on using the one with the 3" slinky as I realized there is not enough space for the motor to hang below the tank outlet valves. My question is more where to mount the motor box within the utility bay.

Good luck with the 43 footer. I would like to see on up close someday.

Black water incidents are no fun. On our last trip we managed to have a few spills from bad slinkies. One I melted with the Aqua Hot exhaust. One hose formed a nasty hole right below the attachement point onto the tank valves. One hose developed several holes along the hose. These were all the Valterra EZ Coupler. The couplers did not leak but the hoses sure did.

That is why I am looking for an alternative system. The Sanicon seemed to be a good choice.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Steve,

Another suggestion that just came to mind when I re-read your post was to suggest taking the pump out of the motor box. If you look at the picture of the setup in my Journey above, I removed the pump from the box as the box was too large to mount.

When I re-install the system into the Tiffin, I'm planning on mounting the pump right in the bottom of the recessed tray in the sewer bay.

Of course once I get the rig and test fit everything, those plans might change but when I studied the area at the dealer I'm pretty sure the pump will fit.

The only concern I did have was that in case of any type of leak I wasn't sure if I wanted the pump at the lowest point of the bay. It's hard to tell in the picture above, but in the old rig, the pump is mounted on 1/2 metal standoff's to keep it off the bay floor. I plan on doing something similiar in the new one in case there ever should be the need to hose out the bay.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We had purchased our 2005 HR used and noted that the sani-con hose had been sliced off by the first owner. Upon further investigation, I discovered that two of the locking tabs were broken from the 3" sanicon connector and when I removed the sani-con pump cover, I found dried toilet tissue inside the pump cover. The first owner must have attempted to dump the black tank first and then when it plugged, attempted to clear it the only way he knew since he couldn't get to the screwdriver slot. That must have been an overnight stop to behold - shades of the movie RV.

I completely rebuilt the sani-con system using local parts and a replacement 1" hose and wand from sani-con. I changed the location of the sani-con so that it is mounted on the right side of the compartment on the ledge with heavy duty velcro so it could be removed easily for maintenance. After 2000 miles it hasn't moved. The location also permits me full access to the screwdriver slot. The 3" hose attaches at the back of the compartment, leads around to the right side into the Sani-con and then out the bottom of the compartment thru a new access hatch I installed to get rid of that little round 3" hole that never was alligned correctly. With the grey water open, the unit completely drains and I have no backup since the incline is all downhill.

I have been using the sani-con only since then and I have been very satisfied with it. It sure makes dumping so much easier and cleaner. I keep a 3" hose onboard in case the sani-con pump system breaks down. Other than that, I'm not going back - but on the next coach I'll install it myself and not rely on the idiot engineers.

I was going to add some photos to illustrate what I had done, but couldn't get them to load. Sorry. Email me offline and I will be glad to forward them.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a picture of the mounting in my Phaeton.

I replaced the motor/macerator a couple of months ago. I'm considering moving the unit down, as suggested by Florida Panhandler, to get a more consistent flow by the by-pass. Generally, if I run some water out of the grey tank to start it syphoning it works OK. I still keep an eye on the tank level.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #10

I'll post a picture of mine if someone can tell me how.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JoeT

Go here.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #12

Here's my Sani-Con install.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe,

That makes more sense than the way Lazy Days installed mine. I'll bet your gray water bypass works better too. It wouldn't take much to move it. Thanks for the photo.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
Joe,

That makes more sense than the way Lazy Days installed mine. I'll bet your gray water bypass works better too. It wouldn't take much to move it. Thanks for the photo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bypass works fine. I like the system very well.