Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sanitary tank heat?

I recently got rid of fifth wheel and purchased a tiffon allegro bus 40qxp.
Is the sanitary tank exposed to heat when running bus while driving and or using aquahot?
Nother dumb question, is the tank between the frame behind the water compartment? Having a hard time seeing anything.
Thanks for your patience!!!
Johniowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have specific info for that model, but the waste tanks are almost surely between the frame members are slightly above it and shielded from below. There will be some form of heat into the basement area and around the tanks. Likely a duct from the furnace/Aquahot, or possibly a separate electric space heater in that area.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #3

A lot of AH coaches have seprate small heating unit in basement. My heater was hidden well im a cutout between tanks compartment and over AH unit. The AH unit may provide a decent amount of heat in adjacent areas ,but no means to blow it around. Most AH basement heaters activated by a snap switch thermostat, that can be a lot harder to find. Mine has a vapor filled tube adjustable thermostat.
Just because there is heat doesn't make individual items absolutely freeze proof, like waste drain valves or water items near outside bay doors. But it's a good start. I'd say test and find the forced air radiator heater.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for your help! My fifth wheel so simple, just a new learning curve. I'll crawl around some more. My thermostat has two zones only, but I've seen ah thermostats with 3. Didn't know extra zone was for basement or perhaps a 3rd ac. I think I'm over thinking this. One would assume that mh manufacturers would channel heat into basement.
I really appreciate your replies!
Old 11-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your unit has AquaHot, there should a thermostat in the wet bay that controls the heat to the bay and heats the tanks. You must run the furnace to get heat to the bay, don’t know if yours has the circuit to the engine that heats the AquaHot coils while driving.
Suggest you check out AquaHot website, find your model and download the manual…..you’ll need it anyways to service the unit…
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
It does recirculate engine heat. I'll look for thermostat. Makes sense. Thanks. Done a lot of crawling around today. Think with everyone's help in getting familiar with everything!
Old 11-24-2022, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johniowa View Post
I recently got rid of fifth wheel and purchased a tiffon allegro bus 40qxp.
Is the sanitary tank exposed to heat when running bus while driving and or using aquahot?
Nother dumb question, is the tank between the frame behind the water compartment? Having a hard time seeing anything.
Thanks for your patience!!!
The gray and black gray tanks are stacked above the fresh water tank inside a compartment that runs the width of the basement except for the space taken up by the wet bay. You can see one end of them from there. You have to remove the panel on the opposite side to see the other end. All of them are kept from freezing when the AH is running on diesel or engine heat. The electric element isn't really up to keeping the coach from freezing if it gets very cold. There is a separate zone pump and thermostat for the compartment. Ours is located in the short passenger side AH access compartment.

Also, give some thought to the icemaker line. If you have a propane (absorption) fridge the boiler will keep it from freezing up to a point, but shutting the valve and blowing out the line isn't a bad idea if it gets really cold. How cold is "really cold"? Don't know, but we haven't had it freeze up with lows in the low 20s in a breezy location.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Excellent comments. Thanks so much. Residential fridge and don't plan to turn water on to it this winter. I think I'll heat the water bay a bit with extra heat during travel in cold Temps. Not as complicated as it seems now that I've gotten advice on the forum. I'm having fun crawling around it and exploring the coach and chassis. Can't wait to go middle of December.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
It seems a lot of things you will have questions about, the Tiffin manual does not cover. Fortunately this forum and other will provide tons of help. We have a 2011 QXP and overall, have been very happy with it. One thing to be aware of in your year is the floor / supports of the wet bay where the tanks are located. I believe it was late 2010 before they corrected this issue.
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so much! I will check into that. This forum makes is a great tool for me, and I appreciate all the help

Tags
heat, tank