Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Satellite option questions

Hi All,

I am brand new here. I am getting ready to order a 2022 Phaeton 40IH and I have a question about the Satellite options:

In Motion Satellite Dish - $1,450
Pre-Wire for Traveller Satellite - $254

Are these 2 options mutually exclusive or can/should you get both?

Thanks for any insights you have.

Pat Sheplee
patsheplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Based on our Phaeton, in-motion is on top and traveler connection is in the wet bay. Connecting into the wet bay, with a traveler (or similar) would allow satellite connection if you had trees, or something, blocking the topside in-motion satellite. IMO, I’d do both. Hope this helps.
Safe travels (when you get it).
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Based on our Phaeton, in-motion is on top and traveler connection is in the wet bay. Connecting into the wet bay, with a traveler (or similar) would allow satellite connection if you had trees, or something, blocking the topside in-motion satellite. IMO, I’d do both. Hope this helps.
Safe travels (when you get it).
Thank you Les & Pam
patsheplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you prefer HD, I don't think in motion will do it. For the price of the in motion you could have a Wineguard Traveler or Mongul Eagle installed and have excellent satellite service should you wish to go with either Directv or Dish. Personally, I would prewire for Traveler. I believe that would be on top rather than the wet bay which is typically where the park cable outlet is installed. Ask your dealer to understand just what you are getting for each and what are the options.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't waste your money on the in-motion unless you really need it for entertainment while moving. Order the Trav'ler prewire and they will automatically wire it for an in motion dome if you want to add one later. The Trav'ler is far superior and lets you use either a Hopper system or a Wally with hard drive. With that you can watch one channel and record another at the same time or record two channels at a time. You can not do that with a dome antenna and a Hopper system will not work with a dome either. I have two Wallies so we can in practice watch different shows at the same time and record two more. By installing a HDMI A/B switch in the BluRay connection, I can hook the second Wally to that and be able to watch shows on any of the TVs simply by selecting the BluRay player input in the TV.

Correcting a slight misstatement by Les Warden. Both the in motion and the Trav'ler connections are on the roof. The connection in the wet bay is called a Tripod connection and it lets you connect a carryout antenna if you are blocked by trees.

I had an in motion on our Allegro RED and it was okay, but not nearly as useful as our current Trav'ler. I also have a Winegard G3 carryout dome that I can connect through the wet bay if we are blocked by trees.

Once you have the pre wire, you can always get a portable carryout dome to use until you decide to upgrade to the Trav'ler. With Dish network, you will get HD programming with either the dome or Trav'ler. With DirecTV you can only get SD on a dome but can get HD on a Trav'ler.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Don't waste your money on the in-motion unless you really need it for entertainment while moving. Order the Trav'ler prewire and they will automatically wire it for an in motion dome if you want to add one later. The Trav'ler is far superior and lets you use either a Hopper system or a Wally with hard drive. With that you can watch one channel and record another at the same time or record two channels at a time. You can not do that with a dome antenna and a Hopper system will not work with a dome either. I have two Wallies so we can in practice watch different shows at the same time and record two more. By installing a HDMI A/B switch in the BluRay connection, I can hook the second Wally to that and be able to watch shows on any of the TVs simply by selecting the BluRay player input in the TV.

Correcting a slight misstatement by Les Warden. Both the in motion and the Trav'ler connections are on the roof. The connection in the wet bay is called a Tripod connection and it lets you connect a carryout antenna if you are blocked by trees.

I had an in motion on our Allegro RED and it was okay, but not nearly as useful as our current Trav'ler. I also have a Winegard G3 carryout dome that I can connect through the wet bay if we are blocked by trees.

Once you have the pre wire, you can always get a portable carryout dome to use until you decide to upgrade to the Trav'ler. With Dish network, you will get HD programming with either the dome or Trav'ler. With DirecTV you can only get SD on a dome but can get HD on a Trav'ler.
Well said, to the point, and totally accurate from my experience.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #7

If I was buying a new coach I would not order either one. If I wanted satellite I would get a PathwayX2 portable antenna with tripod stand and DISH Network. That way trees would not be a problem if parked under them. Since satellite is a dying industry and streaming is the current technology I would invest in the best cell plan and router I could find and stream as much as possible. I currently have an AT&T totally unlimited plan that I use between 250 to 300 GB per month.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Your already spending a boat load of cash. I would get the in-motion along with the prewire for the traveler. And yeah, get a good router system for streaming.
Btw, our in motion as been flawless and has gotten use on the avg of 6 months a year. Gets very good hd channels from Dish. They do have limitations as Lt Dan alluded to. But since I control the remote...whoops, I meant since dw and I watch the same channels,its not a big deal.
My friend has a traveler and in motion on his Phaeton, but his traveler is on the fritz right now waiting for parts. He's glad he has the in motion for backup.
Heck, even my HD360 antenna is still performing like it was new. Who would have thought!
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Two more cents here.....at a minimum I would get the prewire for the Trav'ler. The in motion dome have mixed reviews. If you get the prewire for Trav'ler then you can easily add it later. I have a prewire for dome. After reading the reviews (limitations), decided instead to use a tripod (wet bay connection) since pretty much the same outcome. However, in the future, before being an anytimer, I will run the control wire I need for the Trav'ler. Already mapped it out where I plan to run it. Will be a bit of a pain, so do it now if I were you.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Prewire for trav'ler. Still might need a portable if you are in trees.

I have an in motion but had travler on my 5th wheel worked great but have to pick your sites.

My in motion works fine. but I am getting an X2 soon, for when I can not get signal.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Best of Both Worlds

We have Direct tv at home and have had it in 3 of our last Tiffin coaches. Our 2020 came with a Wally. I had them connect the Wally to the in motion sat , and had a traveler installed that we had hooked up to Direct. There are times where one may not see the Sat due to trees so we use the other. I did this mainly to maintain Happy Wife - Happy Life. Did network can be turned off when not in use and getting my local channel is effortless once we get to our campsite. I give my wife control of the large tv and bedroom tv. I get the forward and outside tv's. I also installed a separate HDMI splitter off of the LG Blu ray player in order to add an Amazon Fire stick and Apple TV.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #12

I have both a Traveler and an in motion dish. The in motion doesn’t have very good reception on the 129 satellite (Dish HD) whereas the traveler is a full size dish.
I have a 3 way switch for satellite reception - 2 roof dishes plus external connection. The Traveler can split to 2 receivers.
puddinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ours has both Dish and Direct TV. No longer use either as we use Streaming services. So far has worked in most of our travels and have the In Motion with Dish for backup on a phone call. I would get the dealer to define why you would need prewire if you have In Motion... may be it is for cellular service and wifi external antenna????
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I went with MobileMustHave.com Pepwave Duo Transit. 2 of the 4 mobile cellular slots are used, 1 AT&T 500GB (I purchased thru MobileMustHave.com ) and 2 Verizon 15GB plan incase AT&T not available (which hasn't been the case yet).

YouTube has great videos on Pepwave.

So, end result is we have WiFi anywhere and always driving down the road or parked. We stream everything, e.g., YouTube TV, NetFlix, etc. Local channels thru YouTube TV. Trees and weather are not issues.

Mark

Tags
satellite