Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

See-Level Tank Monitors?

Hey all - Last weekend, we got our new to us coach out for a shakedown and I am working on my stuff that doesn't work list..... Folks here helped me fix the toilet! yay! Next on the list are the tank sensors.

We have the spyder electronic display panel that pretty much does it all... but none of the tanks gauges did anything all weekend - i filled about 3/4 of the fresh tank and used enough where i would have expected to see something on grey and black... nothing - no bars - on any of the tanks....

My search shows really no ideas on a fix and almost exclusively advice that says to just add the SeeLevel sensors and dont bother with the crappy ones installed at Tiffin.

So - first is this really the answer? Secondly, I can clearly see the fresh tank, but although i know generally where the black and grey are, i can't see them. I am wondering how hard of a job it would be to add the see level....

i can usually do pretty much any job if i have a youtube or some instructions, but i have not seem either yet specific enough to my phaeton to really give me the confidence to go for it....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

My opinion only.

If you have relatively easy access to all the tanks, I'd say replace with the SeeLevel system. Wiring is easy and you can use existing wires. Sensors are the closest to fool proof that you can get. Accuracy is consistent if installed properly.

I don't have experience with the monitors installed by Tiffin, but OEM from manufacturers tend to be easily broken and a PITA.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

I would start with a good cleaning of the tanks. It's possible that scum on the inside of the tanks is causing the problem. A bottle of Pine Power (not Pine Sol) with a half tank of water works well. You should also be able to run diagnostics on the Sealevel system. Check your manual.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Installation of the sea level is fairly easy but if you want to first see if you can repair the factory installed sensors I suggest you remove the wet pay exterior panel on the passenger side just forward of the rear wheels and the sensors are all visible and easily accessible to check the wiring. I had similar issue with mine and found that the sensors were connected with a common wire that had separated from the home run to the spyder. Five minutes and a butt connector corrected the problem
Old 04-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First you need to find out what type of sensors you have. Tiffin changed from the 3 pad sensor to a new one designed by Spyder some time around the 2018 or 2019 models. Does your display show 1/3, 2/3, Full or percentages? If you have the three pads attached to the tanks, then yes you can upgrade to the SeeLevel system. You will need the SeeLevel RVC709 NLP (No LP Gas) panel and the sensors. After that you will need a module from Spyder to reprogram the system to accept the percentage readings from the SeeLevel instead of the 1/3, 2/3, Full readings. It's not a complicated process but will cost approximately $500 for the monitor and the module. I changed mine out a couple of years ago and they work great.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whether you decide to install a SeeLevel system or not, your current tank monitors should work.

I would suggest calling Curtis Letniak at Spyder Controls (866) 919-9092.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #7

Just my personal take here, but I upgraded to a SeeLevel 709 system about 4 years ago, and have never regretted it.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:04 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
Installation of the sea level is fairly easy but if you want to first see if you can repair the factory installed sensors I suggest you remove the wet pay exterior panel on the passenger side just forward of the rear wheels and the sensors are all visible and easily accessible to check the wiring. I had similar issue with mine and found that the sensors were connected with a common wire that had separated from the home run to the spyder. Five minutes and a butt connector corrected the problem
Could you comment on how to remove the wet bay panel on the passenger side? Thank you.
marksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksanders View Post
Could you comment on how to remove the wet bay panel on the passenger side? Thank you.
There are two double screw brackets on each side of the panel. If you have a cargo door next to one side then open it. Otherwise it's a good idea to put on some masking tape or put your screw driver in a straw to protect the panel edges. It's also a good idea to put something under the panel to support it.

Here are a few photos that might be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 PS access panel.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	369242   Click image for larger version

Name:	1A PS Access.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	369243  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 PS access panel brackets.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	369244  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe FIRST try to clean inside tank walls; we did & it worked; saved some dollars & a lot of pain. Initially after noting misleading level readings, we did remove the fixed panel hiding the tanks. You may get surprises like ... brackets & screws were very tight, mismatched screws, misaligned holes, etc.; actually one screw broke trying to unscrew by hand, had to drill out of fixed bracket. Also found spare screws & bits of wiring lying loose on the tanks left over when they installed. The sensors were all attached, working properly. It was a real pia to remove / reinstall fixed panel. Take care, as advised above to remove the panel & also any attachment behind. They should have used hinges ... a poor manufacturer cost saving ?, but imo poor detail.

Then as suggested in other forum posts, filled grey tank with about 30 gallons water mixed with 2 cups of 'Krud Cutter' from Ace Hardware. Did it thru shower drain using an empty Kitty litter jug. The jug measured 2.5 gallons water each fill x 12 dumps into grey tank; water hose thru bath window, filled jug in shower. Then drove the RV to slosh around the water & clean the inside walls of tanks. Filled the black tank with about 1/3 water also to clean that one as well.

Now, while at campgrounds, we keep tanks filled about 1/3 to 1/2 full before dumping & before final destination do the Krud Cutter slosh tank / dump trick, & when in storage keep tanks 1/3 full with clean water. As someone mentioned before, water is a friend.

(Not sure, but the SEE Level system may also need to have inside tank walls cleaned occasionally. In any case it's nice to keep things clean & working properly.)
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
PKI

In the process of getting a Sea Level System installed. The OEM is a 1/3, 2/3, & full scheme. Except that at park level, the tank only dumps to the 1/3 level. Where the sensor pads are located can be part of that issue, but since folks recommend tipping the coach when you dump, I suspect it's close to correct. Then when the tank gets to 2/3 level, you have no visibility of how close it is to full, until it's full. So, the result is kind of like having a 1/3 tank capacity.

Would not stampede you into installing the Sea Level. It's an expenditure that you can work around if you watch what you are doing. Might be a someday wish list action item. Certainly clean the tank. Also, verify that the sensor pads have not come loose from the tanks and that the wires have not been cut or shorted to ground.

Research before you jump. Understanding your systems will get you a better outcome.

EDIT - Yes, must have clean tanks for all the systems. Just part of the deal.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbward View Post
Hey all - Last weekend, we got our new to us coach out for a shakedown and I am working on my stuff that doesn't work list..... Folks here helped me fix the toilet! yay! Next on the list are the tank sensors.

We have the spyder electronic display panel that pretty much does it all... but none of the tanks gauges did anything all weekend - i filled about 3/4 of the fresh tank and used enough where i would have expected to see something on grey and black... nothing - no bars - on any of the tanks....

My search shows really no ideas on a fix and almost exclusively advice that says to just add the SeeLevel sensors and dont bother with the crappy ones installed at Tiffin.

So - first is this really the answer? Secondly, I can clearly see the fresh tank, but although i know generally where the black and grey are, i can't see them. I am wondering how hard of a job it would be to add the see level....

i can usually do pretty much any job if i have a youtube or some instructions, but i have not seem either yet specific enough to my phaeton to really give me the confidence to go for it....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

Brian

All good suggestions however, as one said, around $500. Here is what I did that worked for me.

Iput 1/2 cup Dawn in grey tank and black tank. A cup of Borax in each tank. Of course there was water in each. Didn't put the mixture in an empty tank.
Filled the tanks up to full as close as possible. Drove around for about 20 miles. Let sit for a day. Dumped both tanks and flushed both with clean water.
This solved my problems. They both read a level now. not real sure how accurate the gauges are anyway but they do give you an idea of how full they are. Simple, cheap fix.
If your wiring is in tact, cleaning the probes should take care of the problem.

Just a Class C owners $0.02 worth. I don't have money to fix trivial matters.
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #13

The sensors (3) for my fresh water tank were laying beside the tank on our month old Wayfarer.
Would love to have the Seelevel system but not excited to cut hole and install new panel.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #14

My 2019 Phaeton has the Spyder sensors. I have had various issues since my first trip in this coach. I decided to add a Seelevel system about a year ago and am very satisfied with the addition. Interestingly enough, the Spyder system has worked perfectly since installing the SL, even though the two are not connected in any way. That's life.

Tags
monitor, tank