RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #1

Seeking owners of Tiffin Phaeton 2002 40OH

Hi All!

My husband and I would like to connect with any other 2002 Tiffin Phaeton owners.

We've recently inherited my parents Phaeton. The last time we had an RV was in the mid 90's and that was a Fleetwood Coronado so we definitely have a learning curve.

The Tiffin sat outside unattended for nearly 10 years. The actual time varies as my parents can't actually remember when they last drove it. Mileage was under 19,000

It was packed full from their last trip and we have finally emptied the contents, had new tires put on, all new batteries, serviced the transmission, generator, radiator, and dash AC. New shocks for bay doors, new wiper blades, new skylights arriving today for installation, living room slide out electrical wiring repaired, overhead TV removed, retractable steps repaired and she's had a thorough washing from tip to toe both inside and out.

Still lots to do before she's road worthy. We would like to ask those that have the same model if they could tell us if there is anything we need to be aware of, any general problems specific to that coach. I realize each coach has it's own issues but we're just trying to get a leg up from those much more experienced than ourselves. We've called Tiffin and checked the recall list using the VIN number and no issues there. We have a 2003 manual but need confirmation that there were no major changes between the 2002 and 2003 model.

Dometic fridge is not working and we want to replace with a residential but the dimensions are a bit difficult to meet with the new models. Maximum height is 65 inches due to fuses and breakers located beneath the fridge. Would love to know if anyone has done this and found a refrigerator that meets these requirements. I know the Samsung RF18 (now RF197?) is the most popular but it's too tall for our space.

The fuel tank was left completely full during this time so we have purchased filters and will attempt to run most of the fuel out this weekend staying close to home in case we have a problem.

Lots of other issues staring us in the face so it would be nice to find someone who has been down this road before.

Sorry for the length but huge thanks to all of you who read this post.

Karencitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Not you model but I have a 2004 - 40TGH. I would suggest replacing the 2 engine belts. Although you're low mileage, the belts may be getting brittle or cracking.
Good luck

connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #3

hey Conlon,
Thanks for the heads up- belts have been replaced.
Thanks for the response.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #4

I would not run 10 year old fuel through that engine. Stabilizers don't last 10 years. Better treat the system with a fuel algaecide too.
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Hi Mainecoons,

Algaecide was added a month ago so we're off on the right foot.

There appears to be a strong debate regarding the handling of 10 year old diesel. We have been told to 1) drain it and start with a fresh tank or 2) polish it (no company in ABQ does that) and 3) run the fuel out of it. The latter advice coming from a number of long time diesel mechanics.

The coach has only been driven about a hundred miles since we took possession of it. From it's original storage location to the various repair shops then back to our home where my husband is continuing to make repairs. She purrs like a kitten for now.

We could pay Stadkus $300 to drain and dispose of the fuel or we could make a couple of roundtrips between Bernalillo and Belen (with two fuel filters in hand) and see how she does.

DH has been on the diesel forum on the FMCA forum and most of the responses have been to run it. He's still thinking through the options so all input is very welcome and greatly appreciated.

Tags
tiffin