Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2022, 07:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Service procedure at Red Bay

Anybody experienced the "no appointment" service at Red Bay? We are planning to go right after Christmas and have a repair list. My only contact with them said "just show up". Sounds kind of "iffy" but we're going. I would love some feedback from you if you experienced the no appointment service at Red Bay. How does this work? What are their hours? is there a line? can they change my windshield? Do they allow camping onsite? just all kinds of questions.... Thanks for any information.
MarkandTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There is no "line" but you do have to wait your turn. If you are still in the one year warranty, you can stay at the service center campground for free. If not, pick one of the other RV parks in town. As soon as you get there, go to the service center campground office and check in. They will give you some paperwork to fill out with your problems, then a service person will be out to your site to check on what work you need the next day usually early. Usually, the dead of winter is the best time to go where you will have the shortest wait for service. Depending on what you need done, the wait times can vary. If you have issues that can be handled in an express bay, you can get in faster than if you need a full service bay.

As for windshields, I don't think they do them at the service center but there are others in the area that are experienced with that. Here's a list from the Tiffin site for Recommended Services in the Red Bay Area.

Good luck with your visit. BTW, the two nicest RV parks in town IMO are the new Red Bay Acres Resort next to the Girard plant and the Red Bay RV Park on the edge of town.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #3

Itís the dumbest thing in the world. Sit for, in some cases weeks, to have your poorly made Motorhome fixed. In some cases not repaired properly. Hopefully if nothing else comes from the sale of the company they will figure out how stupid this is.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

If your unit is still under warranty, the windshield problem will be addressed onsite at the repair facility. If not, the windshield can be addressed at a couple of different facilities in Red Bay, the service center will refer you to them. Don't worry there is a procedure in place to get your coach repaired, just ask questions on anything you don't understand. When you check in at the service center campground office tell them this is your first visit and ask them to explain how things work. They will give all the help you will need. After Christmas time is usually one one least busy times in Red Bay. First thing to do is locate the Allegro Campground and Service Center on 4th St. Check in at the campground office and get your coach registered for service. If within the 1 year warranty you will be given a site in the campground. If not, you will be given a list of other campgrounds around town to find a site to stay, all are first come-first served except RED BAY ACRES. You will be contacted the next morning and some one will come to your site to review your work list and give you an estimate how long it will take to finish repairs. Then you will contacted again and given a time and bay door to report to at the service center for work to start.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow!! You say you had to wait for weeks in Red Bay for service? I have been there 3 times and the longest wait was 3 days.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
It’s the dumbest thing in the world. Sit for, in some cases weeks, to have your poorly made Motorhome fixed. In some cases not repaired properly. Hopefully if nothing else comes from the sale of the company they will figure out how stupid this is.
It all depends on the time of year you go there. The longest I've waited is three days but I've gone during February. I would much rather do that than leave my coach unattended at a dealer for months waiting on any service. Our 2015 Allegro RED had two minor issues and our 2017 Phaeton has been well made with very few issues requiring service. Both of the trips to Red Bay with our Phaeton were for failed engine fan clutches, which has nothing to do with Tiffin quality and covered under warranty.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #7

We waited 13 days, couple next to us was there longer than 2 weeks, they had coach and body issues. Tiffinís lac of quality control is well known and needs improvement. This is a industry wide problem. Tiffin is not the quality they evidently used to be. Still better than our experiences with Fleetwood but we paid a premium price expecting better
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #8

Depending on upgrades and mods we have planned, I typically plan for 3 weeks in Red Bay. Last trip we were in express bay in 3 days, and got our other service and mods done in a week. So we just relaxed, enjoyed some good food in Florence, Al and played golf several times. We are retired and waiting for a tee time is our biggest issue.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:21 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkandTony View Post
Anybody experienced the "no appointment" service at Red Bay? We are planning to go right after Christmas and have a repair list. My only contact with them said "just show up". Sounds kind of "iffy" but we're going. I would love some feedback from you if you experienced the no appointment service at Red Bay. How does this work? What are their hours? is there a line? can they change my windshield? Do they allow camping onsite? just all kinds of questions.... Thanks for any information.
You may want to give the service center a phone call and verify their times during the Christmas season. If I remember correctly, they close for Christmas and don't reopen until after New Year. Again, going on memory.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
You may want to give the service center a phone call and verify their times during the Christmas season. If I remember correctly, they close for Christmas and don't reopen until after New Year. Again, going on memory.

That is correct, Tiffin closes for Christmas and does not reopen til after New Years.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:59 AM   #11

My 2020 is out of warranty, but we still make an annual trip to Red Bay. I make appointments with "after hours" vendors long in advance so all my appointments are within one week. We will show up at Red Bay Acres on Saturday, relax on Sunday (after a Saturday night trip to the Rattlesnake Saloon), then have appointments all week. The last one is the full detail by Fowler detailing (they come to your site so I do not have to move the coach). We will be there in June and stay over the long 4th of July weekend (want to spend the holiday in a small town). Follow others advice if you are in warranty. If you are in Facebook join the group Red Bay Roll Call, it is all things Tiffin and Red Bay.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #12

Quality Control (if you're lucky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
We waited 13 days, couple next to us was there longer than 2 weeks, they had coach and body issues. Tiffinís lac of quality control is well known and needs improvement. This is a industry wide problem. Tiffin is not the quality they evidently used to be. Still better than our experiences with Fleetwood but we paid a premium price expecting better

We owned a 2013 Phaeton that we traded in last year for a new 2021 Phaeton. We believed the "Tiffin quality" hype so went for our second Tiffin. But our new Phaeton has spent lots of time at the dealer waiting for warranty service when we should have been out enjoying our 'investment'.

The key employees at Tiffin are clearly very knowledgeable and helpful, but I have to question the training regimen for new employees there - especially the assembly employees. I've seen a lot of sloppy assemblies in our unit which cause me to question whether they even have a QC inspection unit. Seems that they practice consumer qc inspection instead.

Hopefully this will improve(?).

'18 Jeep GC
Bookie Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I need to bring my 22 Tiffin to Red Bay. 2 months ago I was told the wait was ~2.5 weeks. I will try to bring in January and hope the wait is less.

Took my prior 2017 Tiffin there 3 times. Waited 3-7 days each time. The service techs were very competent. The cost of repair was much less than my local dealership for non-warranty work. Red Bay revolves around Tiffin. You will enjoy talking with other Tiffin owners in the on-site customer lounge and at campgrounds. Campgrounds are mostly gravel lots, first come first serve, ~$25/night with electricity, water & sewer. There is one nice newer campground in Red Bay that has a good restaurant on site. It was ~$50/day and takes reservations. Don't know name.

There are some interesting things to do within an hour drive from jeep trails, hiking trails, Coon Dog Cemetary, Muscle Shoals, etc. Huntsville has a NASA exhibit. Have some fun while killing time.

Check in and the site visit was covered above. Some other points: They will call you the day before service and give you instructions. You will bring your RV in at 7-8 AM to the service bay# instructed and go over your items with the service tech working on your RV. You will get your RV at the end of the day and return to your camp site. That will continue until you are done. There is an excellent Tiffin parts store on the Tiffin site. I plan to stock up on parts for my new RV.

There are many service shops around Red Bay that do wax/detailing, painting, Freightliner shop, etc. The Tiffin check in will give you a list of these. You can also do a search beforehand in case you want to set something up or see reviews. For example, I will try to get my 6 month service at freightliner, have a mat made for my front dash and get RV washed/waxed (depending how long the wait is).
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
When you check in they will give you a coach job number that you should put on the front window of your coach. That visible number is how the rv techs find your coach the next day. I did not put the number on the windshield and lost a day. The Techs will decide if you qualify for the Express service or the full service bay.

Another option is “Outback Service”. You leave the coach and go home. They will call you when they start work. When the work is done, you go back and pick it up. When I checked in there were 48 people ahead of me. I would have probably waited 2 to 3 weeks for a full service bay. I opted for Outback Service. I dropped the coach off in the last week of Sept. 2021. I picked it up the first week on November.

Regards, Jerry

Tags
service