RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Single Pane Window Deal Breaker?

I am looking at a Tiffin Allegro Bay 37db FRED that may have single pane windows. The rest of the coach is a 9 out of 10. Stored inside temperature controlled warehouse and plugged in all 11 years. New tires 2017. New brakes 3 years ago under Tiffin brake recall. No stains on carpet and both carpet and furniture look brand new. The exterior is full paint with no visible scratches or blemishes. Never used the shower. 32 thousand miles. All maintenance records available and maintained and waxed/washed each year by the mechanics who work at the storage location. Would you walk due to single pane windows? I am an MH newbie looking for a practical answer FAST as I will possibly buy next week. BTW the asking price is almost at low retail before options are added.

orvis926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had both types of windows and to tell you the truth I could not tell the difference. I would imagine the dual pane are a little better but if the MH is as good as you say, I would not let that be a deal breaker.

garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
That's really a question that only you can answer based on where and when you camp.
But, my current one has single pane windows and I'm fine with that. Everything else on the coach is what we were looking for, and there is alway a compromise somewhere.
If I were going to LIVE in it I MIGHT feel differently, but for weekends and the occasional week, it's fine as it is.
Note that all windshields are single pane.
Reflectix is your friend - use it in the windows on the sunny side of the RV.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Single Pane Window Deal Breaker?

Also keep in mind that big windshield up front will be one the biggest sources of heat loss or gain and it will be single pane regardless.
If everything else is good not sure I would let the windows stop from buying. May even be a plus with how many double panes get replaced from fogging.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's my answer from your other thread:
That's really a question that only you can answer based on where and when you camp.
But, my current one has single pane windows and I'm fine with that. Everything else on the coach is what we were looking for, and there is alway a compromise somewhere.
If I were going to LIVE in it I MIGHT feel differently, but for weekends and the occasional week, it's fine as it is.
Note that all windshields are single pane.
Reflectix is your friend - use it in the windows on the sunny side of the RV.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It was a deal breaker for us. aside from the minimal insulating effect if you travel or live in a humid area the double pane windows do a lot to reduce/eliminate condensation on the windows. Unless you continually wipe the dampness off the windows it can lead to mold and mildew in the tracks. As mentioned all front windows are single pane.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I probably won't live in this MH but we are moving from Illinois to Arizona soon and my concern iss the heat gain. Maybe reflectix is a good answer. I will try to avoid extreme cold but again you never know! I tried to find out from Tiffin owners what difference they feel the 1/4 inch pane has over other single pane as well as dual pane options and so far most single pane have said they are perfectly OK with their choice even in extremes. I will probably buy if all checks out and we can reach a good deal.
orvis926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #8

single pane wndo

i've just ordered a single pane allegro.
i did not walk.
if the price is right - go for it! imo.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We had single pane windows on our Allegro RED and they were just fine. The single pane windows are thicker glass than the double pane ones. The key on any window is stop the heat on the outside with awnings or window shades. With single pane windows you can also apply a dark tint and not affect them like a tint on the inside of a double pane window would.
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Look at the bright side, no worrying about the windows fogging. I have some small fogged windows in the bedroom and it is an ugly sight. Expensive or time consuming on your part to repair.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Specifically what year is it? We had a 2008 Allegro Bay FRED and it had optional double pane windows. That was a selling point for us then. Now-a-days not so much as we are looking at an Allegro RED with single pane windows.

Check out the specs here: https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/tiffinspecs/specs.htm
pacwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #12

Single Pane may be a bonus. They don't fog up which can cost $200+ per window to fix and the two panes are so close together there is very little insulation quality.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #13

If you are worried about the energy efficiency of windows maybe you should skip the whole RV experience.

We have some political leaders who are obsessed with energy. They are worried about how much you use. This will not stop them from flying Air force One to play a round of golf instead of walking to a nearby homeless shelter to help out.

I am a retired mechanical engineer. Unless you plan to live in your MH during the winter in a very cold climate there is little benefit with double pane windows.

As others have suggested a reflective barrier will reduce heat gain from direct sunlight or loss in the winter. I bought a roll from Lowe's for about $25 and cut it to the size of our windows. Most of the time it is stored behind the couch or under the bed.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #14

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
If you are worried about the energy efficiency of windows maybe you should skip the whole RV experience.

We have some political leaders who are obsessed with energy. They are worried about how much you use. This will not stop them from flying Air force One to play a round of golf instead of walking to a nearby homeless shelter to help out.

I am a retired mechanical engineer. Unless you plan to live in your MH during the winter in a very cold climate there is little benefit with double pane windows.

As others have suggested a reflective barrier will reduce heat gain from direct sunlight or loss in the winter. I bought a roll from Lowe's for about $25 and cut it to the size of our windows. Most of the time it is stored behind the couch or under the bed.
Go for it.

Coaches like your describing are hard to find.

I prefer single pane.

I had my windows tinted.
And use awnings.

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, single, window