Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Single pane Windows

I am looking at the 37 PA Allegro Red and I am wondering if any one has input on the single pane Windows. We do not camp a lot in the cold but traveling in January from Michigan to warm weather can be real cold for a couple days. Our current motorhome has dual panes. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks

Steve
Stevecarl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 AM   #2

We have them and usually not a problem unless below freezing. I wish we had double pain mainly for the sound impact in tight campgrounds. . We use reflectix on the windows when it's cold and move south quick. . No fog issues but I wish they had more insulating technology like the new RV window technology
Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes tinted thicker single pane glass can be installed. There are owners here that have paid to have the same windows repaired more then once. Had SOB coaches for many years that had single pane windows, fine with me, never paid a dime to repair. Try not to go places with extreme OATs.
This is an RV industry problem they can't seem to get right. Had any double pane windows in your S & B's house break seal lately...? jus sayn !
This same topic came up on Tiffin forum today as well.

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin single-pane windows are 1/4" glass. Not quite as good as double pane windows, but a whole lot better than the thin stuff used by other companies. The perform pretty well in below freezing weather but deasnealy said, Reflectix does a pretty good job with insulating them. Works well in the summer too.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Tiffin single-pane windows are 1/4" glass. Not quite as good as double pane windows, but a whole lot better than the thin stuff used by other companies. The perform pretty well in below freezing weather but deasnealy said, Reflectix does a pretty good job with insulating them. Works well in the summer too.
Roger,
What model year did Tiffin change to double pane windows ?
Its my understanding that thermo windows were not ever an option over single pane. As buyer's have no choice on the type windows used. Wish we did, rather then knowing we may have to spend hundreds of dollars to repair/replace windows the coach maker installed at high cost.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Allegro Open Roads and REDs have always used the 1/4" single panes. Double pane windows are not an option with these models. The Phaeton, Bus, and Zephyr are double panes and have been for a long time.

I don't know when Tiffin started all this but I would bet 10+ years ago or more. If you have a 2013 Bus, you have the new style double pane windows that have had a very good service record so far. I have not heard of anyone having problems with them.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Yes tinted thicker single pane glass can be installed. There are owners here that have paid to have the same windows repaired more then once. Had SOB coaches for many years that had single pane windows, fine with me, never paid a dime to repair. Try not to go places with extreme OATs.
This is an RV industry problem they can't seem to get right. Had any double pane windows in your S & B's house break seal lately...? jus sayn !

I don't think it is a low quality problem. We have double pane windows in our house and never a problem. However, our house sits at 1100 ft above sea level. We never had a problem with our motorhome windows until we started going into the mountains. The window is sealed. As you go up in altitude the pressure on the inside is greater than the outside and increases as you get higher. If it is hot, the pressure goes up even more. At some point the seal fails and when you go back down and the window cools and moist air is sucked back in.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post

skypilot_1, no my S & B hasn't had a problem with the seals breaking, but then again, they don't flex and bang driving down America's pot-holed highways at 60+ mph!

That said, our 15 year old Dutch Star came standard with dual pane windows. We purchased it from the original owner. 116k miles on it, never had a problem, never fogged a window, never had one replaced. Sometimes it depends on the quality you originally buy.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #9

Actually, my wife just reminded me that we DID have two S & B dual pane windows shatter in the last two years. House built in 2004, inner pane of both just broke. One in our bedroom above our head, inside pane cracked so loud one night that it woke us both up! Took us about 10 minutes of looking around to figure out what the noise was!

Quality windows too! 10+ years old, but the manufacturer replaced them at no charge.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
HGC

single pane windows

We have a Tiffin36LA and have the 1/4 inch windows. Have had our unit in freezing weather and have never felt cold or drafty. Windows are fine as is the insulation. But it is not a Dutch Star which is a great luxury coach and is on my wish list. So is the lottery.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

So all the Tiffin gas coaches do not have double pane windows? They are single?!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All Open Roads (gas) and Allegro REDs use the single pane windows. However, as others have said, they are pretty decent windows. My first Tiffin coach was an Open Road and they weren't too bad - almost as quiet as double panes and not too bad in cold weather.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

On single pane you will not need to replace or repair fogged windows in several years.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would never have a rig with single pane windows. After 13 years with the previous Dutch Star we never had a problem with any of them. The present rig has a couple that need fixing, but we didn't see that before we bought it. One of the hazards of buying a unit that's stored inside as the problem showed up the next day when outside cooler air got to it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window