Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #1

Slide failure on 2010 Phaeton 40QTH

We have a brand new 2010 Phaeton 40QTH waiting for us next week.
There has been no dealer prep just yet. However, when the salesman invited us to see the motorhome, he pushed out the slides and the front, driver side slide went out, made a clunk and and stopped working.
The dealer has time to fix the issue I assume, but I am wondering if anybody else has had this happen and if so, did the issue ever raise its ugly head again? Thanks.
flyboyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
paz

flyboyg, welcome to iRV2.

Congrats on the new coach, although it's a little disappointing you had a malfunction at your first viewing. I'm sure the dealer will get the problem corrected, but I understand you are concerned this may be a recurring problem.

We have Power Gear electric slides on our '05 Allegro Bay. Periodically, the front 12' slide will break a shear bolt on the drive mechanism. I carry spares and can change one out in about 5 minutes, but I have to climb under the slide to do it. This problem didn't start until the coach was a couple of years old.

If I recall correctly, Tiffin uses a combination of electric and hydraulic slides on their 3 and 4 slide floorplans. Therefore, the shear bolt may or may not be the problem depending on whether it's an electric or hydraulic slide. When the shear bolt fails, the motor will continue to run and one end of the slide will continue to move.

The problem could also be a faulty relay, although I don't think this would make a loud clunk. Relays interlock the slides with the ignition switch so the slides can't be actuated while driving down the road.

Good luck, and let us know what the dealer finds.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Paz,
Good advice. I was told by the dealer that the slide was fixed today. They claim that periodically the shear bolt comes loose somehow and they have fixed this issue before on Tiffin's and others by drilling a hole in the bolt and placing somewhat of a cotter pin in the hole to hold the bolt in place.
Sounds like good advice to get a few spares!
The issue was on the 12', electric slide indeed.
I will wait to see and hear the final result. Many thanks.
flyboyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
flyboyg,
If the shear bolts are properly installed with washers in both sides and lock washers used, the bolts should not break. What happens in most cases is that when they're replaced a new bolt is put in with a couple of washers and a nut. Traveling over some of our roads will tend to loosen them, the bolt slips down to where pressure is applied on the threads, and that breaks the bolt.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #5

Where do you get the shear bolt from as I would like to get a spare or two. Thanks ,Terry