Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Slide maintenance debate

Matt's RV Reviews just posted the equivalent of an infomercial for the 3-In-1 slide maintenance products: https://youtu.be/D9UGr86F0zE

I too purchased the 3-in-1 slide maintenance products, but... Two weeks ago I attended Tiffin Motorhomes 50th Anniversary Rally. One of the seminars on slideouts was put on by Lippert with one of their experts presenting. Out of the 1 hour preso they must have spent at least 15 minutes telling all of us to throw away our slide out and seal products and to never use them again. He also stated how much RV YouTubers had shared bad information that went against Lippert's own manufacturer recommendations. This Lippert rep insisted over and over to the audience to only use soapy water on their Schwintek and SlimRack rails and on their slide seals. He shared that all the rail lubes do is build up material and debris in the tracks that will eventually cause the gears to start to bind. He also shared that all the rubber seal protectors out there cause the seals to look pretty, but actually makes them deteriorate faster. So why is it the manufacturer is insisting RV owners only use soapy water and so strongly discouraging the use of any 3rd party products?

So... Who's right in this case, the manufacturer (Lippert) or these 3rd parties?

Best,
-Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just heard this as well, from someone who also attended to 50th Rally.

What he clarified is use soapy water on the RAILS. You still use lube on the motor/ gears/bushings inside the wall, behind the slide seals.

I never listen to any blogger and very few YouTubers. Their knowledge and expertise is suspect - unless they are a company tech. Then, I'll listen to them.

Opinions are cheap, because everyone has more than their share available.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So you were told not to lubricate the shafts and bearing blocks too? I never lubricate the tracks or seals.

Oops, bear me to the punch��
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always adhered to keeping my rails clean too until I was in Red Bay for a squeaky slideout among other things. The Tiffin tech took a can of WD40 out gave it a thorough spray leaking on the floor. When I questioned him he said that is the only to get rid of squeaks.
Youre not supposed to do anything with front slideout rails either. I have found a shot of selectively placed dry lube works wonders.
I also clean the back rails thoroughly.
Im not going to differ with any factory rep.
The key here is clean, compressed air, soapy water, etc
Just passing on what works for me.
Dale R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
WD40 is a great cleaner, so I can see using it to get crap off. Just don't expect it to lube anything.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm not disagreeing with the tech buy I gre up where anyplace there was metal to metal contact without any lubricant will cause rapid wear and inevitably leas to early failure. I clean and have lubed my slides on TTs and the MHs we've had over the years without and issues. To me keeping them clean is the key but thats JMO.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #7

So... Who's right in this case, the manufacturer (Lippert) or these 3rd parties?

This is the same as saying "I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

For the past 24 years my RV's have had Lippert (Power Gear) slides, they have always indicated in their literature, and preached at seminars to "avoid over lubricating the slides" because it will attract dirt and cause problems. Here is a quote from Lippert on the slide models my coach has:

Quote:
"If the system squeaks or makes any noises it is permissible to apply a coat of light weight oil to the drive shaft and roller areas but, remove any excess oil so dirt and debris do not build-up. DO NOT use grease."
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #8

I have a 37 PA the rear bathroom slide started to make a grinding noise, it appears that the rail was rubbing against the lower gear block, I started using silicone with teflon on the problem area. I do wipe it down after spraying and even when we are getting ready to bring the slide in, that was 5 months ago the spray took care of it instantly. I took it to red bay who just told me to keep doing what I'm doing at that " they all fail eventually". so far so good. I also use silicone spray on the plastic slide blocks on the front slides they go in noticeably smoother after spraying the blocks.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've used 0000 steel wool & wax on the diving boards. I figure the smoother they are the easier they go in & less wear on the plastic glides.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #10

Matt’s RV reviews are one big infomercial. There have been several where he was pushing product that I questioned him in and never got a response back. My take us this - if someone is getting something from a manufacturer to promote a product, then it us buyer beware. I check my schwintek rails to make sure they are clean and I will hit them with a live and then really wipe off as much as possible. Over the past year, I noticed very little accumulation of debris in the rails.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had many slides(3 RVs with slides). Never given much though about rain water that puddles on top of the slide cover until this past week. Remembering water weight 8 pounds per gallon. If you do not rid this puddle of water on a large slide, you can have easily 10 gallons of water captured on the top of a slide-80 pounds of water which could result of a 40 pound weight on the outer edge of the slide. This may not be factored into the slides being slid into our RVs. I plan to always remove water up on the slide covers before pulling them in. (this post may not go here-if so sorry for the intrusion.
James
Old 07-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #12

WD-40 as a lubricant (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
WD40 is a great cleaner, so I can see using it to get crap off. Just don't expect it to lube anything. [/URL]
I think it would be somewhat appropriate to expect WD-40 to lube something it was applied to, especially considering the compound composition:
  • approx 4550% aliphatic hydrocarbon (isoparaffin)
  • no more than 35% petroleum base oil (heavy paraffins)
  • no more than 25% aliphatic hydrocarbons (more paraffin)

Paraffin: a white or colorless compound that is often used as a lubricant

Botton line, a lot of paraffin, so seems it would be at least a little bit OK to expect at some lubricating going on when applied

https://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/
rlfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, slide