Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #1

Slide noises

We have a new 2011 32' Breeze and are on our first extended trip with it. The second night out we heard lots of screechy noises when putting out the driver's side slide. This morning, when retracting it, the noises were not there until at the very end when a major clunk occurred. It felt like something dropped into place, but not in a good way. We are slated to be on the road for close to a month. Would you suggest we leave the slide in until we get home and can take it back to the dealer or can we continue to use the slide? I don't want to do more damage to it. I see from other posts on this forum, that perhaps a bolt has sheared or a roller has broken???? Advice?

Thanks,
Ann
annlaurie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure someone will come along with a viable answer. Personally, I'd have it checked before using it again.

People want more and more space in which to live.
We discussed our future in the RV lifestyle and the one thing we agree upon is NO #&%*@ slides for us.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #3

Try putting it out slowly, a bit at a time, and see what you hear. If things bind up, obviously stop and bring it in. We had a "crunchy" experience once time and found we had dropped a nice piece of quartz we had collected on the floor and the slide rollers had started to turn it to dust. Really tough to clean up and we had the "crunchies" for a number of cycles.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

We had the same issue on our Allegro RED. The problem was the slide was too low. I took it back to Red Bay and they adjusted the slide. The noise was the slide rubbing on the bottom when moving in and out.
movingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd take it to the nearest dealer and see if they can diagnose the problem. You will most likely have to pay a "diagnostic" fee but at lease you'll know what the issue is. If you're still under warranty you can take it to any dealer for warranty service. Tiffin will work with anyone when it comes to the warranty. You could call Tiffin and talk to Don Boyd, he's been with Tiffin forever and is very knowledgeable. He may have some thoughts as to what may be causing the noise.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ann,
Both the screeching sound and the pop are not normal. This needs to be fixed very soon to avoid damage. Do not use it in the interim.

I had a similar pop sound that led to a loosened bolt that allow unwarranted movement. It appears that the complexity of the adjustments necessary, make it a tech-only troubleshooting job.

Warranty coverage? Of course! This needs to be documented at Tiffin before anyone touches it. Have Tiffin recommend a good service location.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by annlaurie51 View Post
We have a new 2011 32' Breeze and are on our first extended trip with it. The second night out we heard lots of screechy noises when putting out the driver's side slide. This morning, when retracting it, the noises were not there until at the very end when a major clunk occurred. It felt like something dropped into place, but not in a good way. We are slated to be on the road for close to a month. Would you suggest we leave the slide in until we get home and can take it back to the dealer or can we continue to use the slide? I don't want to do more damage to it. I see from other posts on this forum, that perhaps a bolt has sheared or a roller has broken???? Advice?

Thanks,
Ann
Just wondering and FYI...
Did you have the slides "fixed" at RB? From the factory the slides on the 2011 are extremely noisy and operate rough. The fix involves reinforcing the walls and installing a new quieter gear mechanism. It is one of those "silent recalls". They won't notify you but if you show up, they'll fix it for free. If you are having trouble with steering, an installation of a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer is also on that list.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone who posted. I spoke with Tiffin, and they too recommended not to use the slide. We will probably wait until we get home where we can take it back to the dealer....unless we can find a place en route.
annlaurie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide