Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Slide Topper Issue

The slide topper on our bedroom slide does not roll up tight when the slide is retracted. Is there a way to adjust it to prevent it from catching wind while driving? My wife was driving our car behind the coach and noticed it starting to flap a little. We've had the slide in and out a few times since then and it does not roll up tight.

Ok, when I watched it the spool only turned a couple times when bringing in the slide. Then it stopped turning and the fabric was getting bunched up and partially getting pulled under the top of the slide. I did it again only manually turning the spool as the slide retracted and got the topper back in. What's causing this? Broken spring? How can it be fixed? I can stand on a ladder and manually turn it for now, but that's not a good solution.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It definitely sounds like the spring has broke inside the roller..been there last year. They get rusty inside the roller then snap! Find the brand & model it is & order one accordingly. Mine was a Carefree of Colorado. DIY myself on a 14 footer.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #3

As far as I can tell this is a Solera Slide Topper Awning by Lippert. I can't find any information about replacement springs.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:58 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Boy your right Donskiman..I've been all over Lipperts/Solara site looking for replacement parts but nowhere to be found...so it looks like you'll have to make a call to them with all your Topper info...if you want you can take a look on Carefree Of Colorado's site & you'll easily find the replacement parts for toppers & a photo of what the spring looks like.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #5

I'm trying to contact Lippert to see if they can help or provide more info. I found a manual online. It says to check the tension on the springs, but doesn't say how to do it.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
From what you described of the topper material getting bunched up it isn't a tension issue that spring is broke..Go to YouTube & you'll see a Solera slide topper install form the beginning to see how it's done & the spring tightening.
Installing Solera RV Slide Toppers on YouTube
Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Hmmm, ran it out and back in today, and it rolled back up just like it should.

Now I think maybe the problem was caused when we brought the slides in during a thunderstorm because the wind gusts were really strong. Maybe doing that caused the tension to get released and when I helped roll it back in manually it went back to normal. Even though we put the slide back out after the storm was over it may the topper may have got misaligned. Didn't notice until our next trip a few weeks later. We'll keep checking it to see if this happens again.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Well that's good to hear...maybe get up there & & lubricate both ends of the roller wouldn't hurt.

Tags
slide