Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 05:48 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
smell in kitchen and front of coach

2019 Phaeton 40IH. Returned from trip and parked coach in our garage. After 20 days there's a nasty smell in the front of the coach. Before leaving last RV Resort, I flushed the black tank for almost an hour and drained the gray tank, so am thinking this could be the gray tank causing the smell.
We always treat gray tanks with chemical just like black tank while traveling or camped.
I poured a gallon of chlorox down the gray water drains a couple of days ago, but still really stinks in front of coach.
Thoughts?
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 06:00 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Start with the obvious, check your traps to see if they have water in them and check to see that your vents are working properly. Any seals around the toilets, etc. After that look for the not so obvious, dripping drain lines somewhere, or dishwasher holding some water. Rats building a nest leave a smell also. Or something that crawled up somewhere and expired. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:01 AM   #3

After you flushed the tanks did you add a copious amount of toilet Chem? I have found simply draining and flushing the tanks doesn’t negate the bacteria in the tanks. You need toilet chem. I do 2 bottles in the crapper and split the other bottle between sinks for the gray tank. I even hit the shower drain making sure all traps get some chem as well.

If you are using the toilet chem in your tanks and still getting the smell I would add more. It will evaporate a small amount and dry up and turn to goo. At that point it looses its effectiveness.

If you are well covered with toilet chem my next step would be to look at the garage. Enough ventilation in the garage? Could be the fumes from the tanks dropping down from the roof vents and settling back into the coach. The front has more opennings than the rear so it makes sense that’s the path the stink takes.

Is there still water on board? Have you verified nothing is leaking on the fresh water side?
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You sure it’s not a dead critter somewhere in the genset compartment , bay or underbelly? Could also be in a cabinet drawer.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #5

Check your air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. Should look like a cap screwed on a vertical pipe. Sometimes they stick open and you get that smell. You can get a replacement for under $10 at lowes or Home Depot. I always carry a spare.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
Check your air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. Should look like a cap screwed on a vertical pipe. Sometimes they stick open and you get that smell. You can get a replacement for under $10 at lowes or Home Depot. I always carry a spare.

That is where I would start. Do the "sniff test" under the sinks.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
That is where I would start. Do the "sniff test" under the sinks.
Agreed. A quick check on them is to put a plastic bag over them, sealed with a rubber band or tape.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #8

A lost potato that is rotting away smells ghastly.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:04 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your replies. Found the culprit for the smell under kitchen sink. The air admittance valve counterweight was sticking open due to gunk on the pin that the counterweight rotates on....
Cleaned with WD40 with silicone lube and got the counterweight rotating freely. Since this seemed to work, I thought I would test out the cleaning fix before replacing the valve.
I found all 4 of the aav valves in the coach and cleaned them too..
I found the valves at Lowes, so picked up one to carry as a spare in case the cleaning fix didn't cure the issue.
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonstom View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. Found the culprit for the smell under kitchen sink. The air admittance valve counterweight was sticking open due to gunk on the pin that the counterweight rotates on....
Cleaned with WD40 with silicone lube and got the counterweight rotating freely. Since this seemed to work, I thought I would test out the cleaning fix before replacing the valve.
I found all 4 of the aav valves in the coach and cleaned them too..
I found the valves at Lowes, so picked up one to carry as a spare in case the cleaning fix didn't cure the issue.
Nice work. I guess it wasn't an errant piece of fish which missed the frying pan after all.

Tags
smell