Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #1

Smoothly traveling Red Bay to Phoenix, AZ

We are currently at Red Bay and are looking for a good route to get back to Phoenix, AZ... Unfortunately we will likely have to do it in 5-7 days depending on when we leave... We experienced I-10 to I-20 to I-30 to I-40 to I-22 coming out (to pickup our new 40IP) and would like to avoid Dallas/Ft Worth, rough roads and traffic on the return. There are great US-Highways, and regional roads. For example we are looking at US-66 or US-82 for part of the return... Any suggestions would be great...
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 04:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Backroads can be nice, but be careful. We took US 45 on our trip from Red Bay to Mobile. The road was fine, but there were very limited places to stop for lunch or to use the head in the rig. These roads don’t normally have predictable rest areas and not every small burg has a wal-mart. When the driver needed to use the head, we found a church parking lot, but the lunch stop ended up being about an hour later than planned as it took that long to find a marginal place to stop.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:46 AM   #3

Good point.... will be aware of the "legacy route issue"... Has anyone been on I-40 recently through TX, OK and points west?... we hear that it is pretty chewed up and rough in most places?
Old 06-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #4

In case you didnít hear, I-40 bridge crossing MS river near Memphis is CLOSED. Donít go that way.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
In case you didnít hear, I-40 bridge crossing MS river near Memphis is CLOSED. Donít go that way.
I55 bridge is open, but allow 45 mins extra, and quite a bit of stop/start. I went over both ways last Saturday. I also was on I40 across AR, OK, TX and NM in May. I didn't think it was too bad!
keef033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have spent several summers headed from Florida to the western US and found there is no really good way to get there! I-40 has its problems through AR and OK and I-10 can be rougher than a cob through LA and east TX.

If it were me, I would drop down to I-10 (the Natchez Trace Parkway is a nice leisurely drive but may be too slow if you are in a hurry) and take it all the way to Phoenix. Yes, it will be rough through LA and slow around Lake Charles and you will have to go through Houston. But if you spend the night just east of Houston and go through between 10 and noon, it isn't too bad. We normally stayed in Bay town at the Houston East RV Resort and found it an easy in and out.
accsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
PKI

Actually, I would take I40. It's a good route. A night in North Littlerock, East OKC, Amarillo and East Albuquerque make for 400-450 mile runs. Develop a plan to stay out of the worst traffic getting across the Mississippi and go for it.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef033 View Post
I55 bridge is open, but allow 45 mins extra, and quite a bit of stop/start. I went over both ways last Saturday. I also was on I40 across AR, OK, TX and NM in May. I didn't think it was too bad!
I was not aware there is a separate MS River bridge for I-55, that is different than the I-40 bridge that remains closed.

One of the reasons I posted is because the traffic signs along I-55 near Jackson, MS (~200 miles south of Memphis) are warning north bound drivers to seek an alternate route.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I was not aware there is a separate MS River bridge for I-55, that is different than the I-40 bridge that remains closed.

One of the reasons I posted is because the traffic signs along I-55 near Jackson, MS (~200 miles south of Memphis) are warning north bound drivers to seek an alternate route.
There is an I55 bridge for sure. Had some friends endure a 4 hour delay the other day. There is a bridge across the river at Helena, AR. You can make your way back to I40 from there on the country roads.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
You do realize that temperatures in Phoenix have been hovering over 115 lately? It'll do no good to drive there - once your coach crosses into Arizona it'll either hit the brakes or yank the wheel to do a U-turn.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #11

Last summer we had 90 days where the temp was at least 114 in Phoenix... UGH! We are evaluating various locations to relocate... Aiken, SC; Fairhope, AL; and the panhandle of FL... to name a few... and have just started to get serious about moving... and am open to suggestions ;-)).
Old 06-16-2021, 07:01 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLuk View Post
and am open to suggestions ;-)).
We are currently near Maggie Valley, NC. It was 53į this morning and should get up to low 80s this afternoon!!
accsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef033 View Post
There is an I55 bridge for sure. Had some friends endure a 4 hour delay the other day. There is a bridge across the river at Helena, AR. You can make your way back to I40 from there on the country roads.
I understand this may be just a technicality (to some) BUT, as a resident of MS, I can assure you I-55 does NOT go across the river near Helena, AR.

The actual road / bridge crossing the river near Helena is US Hwy 49, and that bridge is no where near I-55, which continues north to Memphis, where I believe you get on I-40 to go west across the river (except you can't, because the bridge is closed).
Old 06-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I understand this may be just a technicality (to some) BUT, as a resident of MS, I can assure you I-55 does NOT go across the river near Helena, AR.

The actual road / bridge crossing the river near Helena is US Hwy 49, and that bridge is no where near I-55, which continues north to Memphis, where I believe you get on I-40 to go west across the river (except you can't, because the bridge is closed).
Yes, the I55 bridge is in Memphis. Sorry for any potential confusion.

Tags
travel