Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Sofa Won't Open

Sofa won't open in my 2013 Allegro Open Road.
Manual states to remove the cushions, locate the black tab and slide it left or right. I can't find a "Black Tab"
Pulling on the sofa it only comes up about 3 inches and then hits something metal.
I just bought this one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You’ll have to look around. Have read where the black plastic tab falls off. It’s actually a small latch.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
You’ll have to look around. Have read where the black plastic tab falls off. It’s actually a small latch.
I've spent a lot of time looking, Thanks for your help. Previous owner says that he never used the sofa bed.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
Previous owner says that he never used the sofa bed.
That's what they all say when they know it's broken...lol

Isn't there a tube/pipe that tab attaches to? Dig deep enough to find it and maybe slide it...?
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a latch on the right hand side that you need to work to release the bed. it's black, kind of flat and hinges. Should be between the bed frame and the sofa frame. I forget if you have to press it towards the sofa front or if you have to lift it away towards the bed.
techdad55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Hope you figured it out, but the black metal tab on my couch was missing the black cover so it was just a steel tab. It prevented the thing from opening, and it was on the right side of the couch facing the couch. It had to be pushed towards the front of the couch to allow the spring to pull out. I suppose it was a safety thing if someone was sitting on it with the seat belts on and a sharp turn happened to keep it from opening?
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
It is a.....

.....pain in the A&s...... Takes two people usually. Keep manipulating the right side lever and have someone else pulling on the middle handle. If previous owner never used it, I'll guess it's stiff from non-use as our new coach's was.

IMO, takes two or more people until it loosens up.
Good luck
Reyfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
In the right front corner there is a metal tab that has too be pushed in so the front bar of the bed can be pulled up. I think the leather skirt is tucked inside covering it.Click image for larger version

Name:	16076127999645768312095229932607.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	310847
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #9

The metal tab you are hitting is “a safety device“. I think it’s purpose is to prevent your sofa from flying open wildly like a jack in the box as you’re cruising down the road. Since this happenstance has probably never occurred in the real world, my suspicion is that it was installed according to a government mandate.

In other words, in order to protect ourselves from ourselves, the manufacturer installed an otherwise useless piece of junk. We replaced the sofa in our RED recently in Red Bay and had them take that tab off so that we can actually open the sofa with one hand now.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Your right on. Thanks for the picture and the hint that it was covered by the sofa flap.
I've wasted a lot of time looking on the side, pushing and pulling all the wrong things with this catch bright in front of me. On the front,right side. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
Your right on. Thanks for the picture and the hint that it was covered by the sofa flap.
I've wasted a lot of time looking on the side, pushing and pulling all the wrong things with this catch bright in front of me. On the front,right side. Thanks.
Its always something simple ain't it.
lsalem is offline   Reply With Quote