Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 09:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Soft start for ACs

I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP. I use a Power Watchdog EPO surge protector. Sometimes when I have two or three ACs running, the Watchdog will cut the power, due to overcurrent.

I'm wondering if a SoftStartRV would help with that? The issue seems to be too much current draw when two ACs kick in at the same time. I know those are designed to support two ACs on 30 amp service, but maybe would help on 50 amp too?
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejus View Post
I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP. I use a Power Watchdog EPO surge protector. Sometimes when I have two or three ACs running, the Watchdog will cut the power, due to overcurrent.

I'm wondering if a SoftStartRV would help with that? The issue seems to be too much current draw when two ACs kick in at the same time. I know those are designed to support two ACs on 30 amp service, but maybe would help on 50 amp too?
yes absolutely will help.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Odd, I have never experienced that problem but we have a Progressive EMS. Each line in a 50 amp service should be 50 amps coming into your coach and am surprised that your EMS cuts out when the most two ACs starting up should not be drawing anywhere near 50 amps.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd want to be sure your voltage is good (even though a poor connection anywhere could cause trouble under load). Soft start has a new product that has surge suppression in it as well as the soft start capability. It's a portable that goes on the pedestal, or anywhere you'd like to secure it. I know you already have a surge unit but there it is anyway. Then there are the the other things like you can check.- The transfer switch contacts/wire connections, plug connections, etc.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #5

Soft start is not only good for the spike in amperage but reduces wear and tear on the motor....not to mention how quiet it ramps up at night! I put them on AC1 and AC3.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #6

One thing you can do is set one of the thermostats at a very low temperature so that it never stops, that way they won't both start at the same time.

It's a bit odd to have any issues with 50 amps. But maybe if you are running a few other high load devices it could happen.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all.

It only seems to be a problem at some RV parks; at others we can run all three plus TV, PS5, air cleaner, etc without issue. Some parks just don't seem to have enough capacity, or something.

According to the Watchdog app, with nominal power draws we use about 400W, but running three ACs and other stuff uses about 4,000W, if I recall correctly. But I've seen it briefly spike up to something like 7,000W when two kick on at the same time.

I do like the idea of ACs being more quiet when starting, too.
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've considered these, at least for the rear one over the bed, just to reduce the start up noise.

Anyone ever measure the before & after decibels?

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2012 36LA. I use the Power Watchdog with the Hughes Autoformer. I installed the SoftStart on both ACs. They work great. No trouble running both ACs on 30 amp. I don't know if anyone has measured the decibel levels of the ACs starting before and after the installation but I can tell you that I usually keep the fan running and I can't hear the compressor start. If the fan is set to Auto that's all I hear start. Often the only way I can tell if the AC is cooling is to look at the Micro-Air EasyTouch thermostat. The temperature is blue when cooling or red when heating.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyFan View Post
2012 36LA. I use the Power Watchdog with the Hughes Autoformer. I installed the SoftStart on both ACs. They work great. No trouble running both ACs on 30 amp. I don't know if anyone has measured the decibel levels of the ACs starting before and after the installation but I can tell you that I usually keep the fan running and I can't hear the compressor start. If the fan is set to Auto that's all I hear start. Often the only way I can tell if the AC is cooling is to look at the Micro-Air EasyTouch thermostat. The temperature is blue when cooling or red when heating.
That is great feedback. Thanks.

And there goes another Tiffin dollar. (Years ago, we started calling $500 spent on our sailboat 1 boat $. Made it seem less. Due to inflation, 1 Tiffin $ is $1,000.)

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed 3 EZ starts on my 2017 Allegro Bus and it definitely made a difference. I also use the Hughes Power Watchdog and have never had the problem you are describing even before installing the Ez starts. Something doesn’t seem right.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Wondering, do the soft start capacitors have any effect on the Spyder system?
medcol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:51 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
50 AMP

Is it rated for at least 50 Amps??
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You folks are referring to the Soft Start that is added to the A/C units?
Can someone explain to me what it actually does? We camp in Florida, A/C is a very critical component~
Pacman774 is offline   Reply With Quote