Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Solar panel systems questions

Has anyone had experience with either Zamp solar or Go Power Solar installations on Allegro Open Road coaches? We have a 2014 Open Road 31sa with residential fridge. The factory provided inverter (1200 watts I was told) and four 6 volt batteries handles the fridge and tv's ok. But if I put 450-480 watts of panels on the coach will I need more batteries or a larger inverter? Looking to boondock out west and also to keep batteries charged while in open-sky storage yard. Oh and how do you lock down the res fridge doors when traveling..Tiffin didn't put an external latch on so it my beer wound up on the floor on a particularly bumpy turn last trip😁😁😁! Thank you.
JOHNBJR53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #2

Do a search on this forum--tons of "information and opinions" on RVs and solar power. The answer to your question depends entirely on how much power you need. Seems the "typical" solar set up has in the range of 600 amp/hours [6-bats] of battery storage, 600 watts of solar cells and a 2000 watt inverter. Your equipment set-up is probably a bit small to go "off the grid."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #3

We have a 2014 allegro Red Open Road 33AA, and there are cabinet latches attached to both refrigerator doors. Sometimes we do forget to give it tht extra "push" to make sure they are locked.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBJR53 View Post
Has anyone had experience with either Zamp solar or Go Power Solar installations on Allegro Open Road coaches?
No, sorry (I'm a DIY'er).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBJR53 View Post
But if I put 450-480 watts of panels on the coach will I need more batteries or a larger inverter? Looking to boondock out west and also to keep batteries charged while in open-sky storage yard.
Short answer is no - you can use what you have with solar.

Longer answer: There are some (relatively) small holes in this but it is easiest to think of your batteries as a fuel tank. You can only put in and take out what it will hold. So, given the size of bank and solar array that we are talking about here, the size of the battery bank isn't directly related to the size/capacity of the solar panels (it is for optimal efficiency and best bang for your buck and all that). Adding that solar capacity to your rig would work just fine and would probably net you a something around 150 amp-hours per day (80% times six hours of good light) - this depends on a lot of factors so is an approximation. That is probably as much as you typically use so it would probably mean no need to run your generator (but for air conditioning and when conditions are not good for solar). Increasing your battery bank size becomes necessary when you are unable to make it thru the night without dropping to less than 50% charge. Of course, some people want enough "stored" energy to make it a couple-three days so they want a larger bank (nothing wrong with that).
Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #5

A general rule is 1 watt of panel power for every amp/hour of battery power. If you just add panels. it will charge your batteries faster, but will not increase your amount of electricity available. You can use the same inverter unless your draw goes up.

I don't know where I heard this, but that is my story and I am sticking to it.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar