Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #29

It’s a RV deprecating like anything on wheels. Get what you want to enjoy it. The break even point is pointless. I have solar use the microwave & the air conditioner (with microair easy start). A few small things make a big difference.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
So if you have a good lithium battery bank and a good solar array, and don't run air conditioning, the generator usage cost is superfluous, because it never runs.
I think I see your point. You find running your generator irritating and are willing to spend money to not have to run it.

I also find running any generator irritating but any more so than many things that make noise. I minimize the irritation by conserving the amount of electricity to the point my system can charge batteries in a hour.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #31

For us, solar is not about cost, it buys a lifestyle we want. We have been off the grid for a month at a time and lacked for nothing. We have dual power refer, so that major amp eater is not in the equation. We don't have sat TV either, another amp consumer. Our TV draws 5amps. In the SW, we are normally fully charged before noon. On the coast in the Pacific NW, clouds and fog may mean we will not get fully charged for 2/3 days which will mean using the genset. It's a lifestyle.
Delta Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #32

KODIAK

Hi.. check out a solar generator called a Kodiak. made by a company called inergytek. I have one. They are coming out (May) with the new one called the K2. They are 1100 watts. I have 525watts of solar on roof. One extra battery connected to the Kodak, a AGM. The Kodiak is great. It is a all-in-one solar setup. It has it's own 30amp RV outlet, so you can directly plug your RV shore-power cord to it. NO.. you can not run the AC on this. But you can the the micro for short times. The solar panels will charge the kodiak as you take energy from it. It has a lithium battery built in the system. You can add more batteries.. but more batteries means more solar panels.
https://inergytek.com
vandelhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelhearts View Post
Hi.. check out a solar generator called a Kodiak. made by a company called inergytek. I have one. They are coming out (May) with the new one called the K2. They are 1100 watts. I have 525watts of solar on roof. One extra battery connected to the Kodak, a AGM. The Kodiak is great. It is a all-in-one solar setup. It has it's own 30amp RV outlet, so you can directly plug your RV shore-power cord to it. NO.. you can not run the AC on this. But you can the the micro for short times. The solar panels will charge the kodiak as you take energy from it. It has a lithium battery built in the system. You can add more batteries.. but more batteries means more solar panels.
https://inergytek.com
Is this better than using your solar to charge your coach batteries and using your inverter/charger to power your microwave?
{assuming you have an inverter in your coach]
It is portable though, so would be good for tent camping.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #34

Like several people have said, whether it is worth it or not depends on you. Several years ago I mounted four solar panels (158 W each) on top of the RV. I also replaced the puny original (installed by Jayco) inverter because it was apparently intended for use with the television. It was made by Magnum and power all 120 volt outlets. The original coach battery compartment would only hold one of the worthless (in my opinion) 12 volt "dual purpose" batteries so I had to convert a basement compartment to hold two huge Lifeline true deep cycle AGM batteries. I should have bought lithium batteries. Overall, was it worth it for me to do a OT of boondocking. Yes it was, but that is me, not you.
Before you have solar installed or do it yourself go do a lot of reading on Handy Bob's Solar blog
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
He provides a lot of very useful information for anyone considering solar power for their RV. Just because a shop can install a solar system does not mean that they are doing a good job. I also got a lot of useful information from the Escapees RV club forum. Good luck with solar power.
BobK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #35

Lifepo4 batteries work, they are 1/3 the weight, 10 year life and you can use nearly all their capacity unlike the 1/2 capacity of lead acid. Also being lithium, you can pour it to them on the charge side with solar or a generator. Solar without good batteries is near useless. Lead acids of any kind are not good batteries when stacked against lithiums.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
It’s true that the inverter just runs an item or two in some motorhomes. In my Eagle it would run everything including microwave and all electrical outlets but wouldn’t run the a/‘s. The solar panels helped keep the batteries charged but would have to run the gen an hour in am and an hour in pm to recharge them.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I'd go with a 200w solar just to keep batteries charged when in storage or driving.

I second the motion ... had dealer install wiring from roof through coach to battery area with #8 AWG wires as a deal-sweetener. then I purchased two 100-watt solar panels + Morningstar 30AMP controller and completed the installation myself. Never go to the storage facility to find dead coach or chassis batteries ...

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #38

21 days boondocking, waste tanks full and only 1/4 tank of propane left, have to move tomorrow.
200 watts solar so far and haven't turned on the generator once, IMO the investment has paid for itself this winter.
Big Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Lead acids of any kind are not good batteries when stacked against lithiums.
Depends. Lead acid batteries are far more durable when it comes to high and low ambient temps. Coaches with battery compartments that are not temperature controlled and you travel in cold climates or hot ones, having lithiums will be an issue.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
If you want to boondock in silence and use electricity, solar is pretty much a necessity.
Well said. Silence is golden. Already spent the money on batteries and had to replace the inverter/charger when the old one went-up-in-smoke. So adding a few solar panels to enjoy not having to listen to my genset with my morning coffee is certainly worth the money.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #41

Bluesdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Mike View Post
For us, solar is not about cost, it buys a lifestyle we want. We have been off the grid for a month at a time and lacked for nothing. .
Thank you. We hope to install a system for ~ $3000 which will allow us to stay a few days longer in a PNW coast Park without hookups or boondocking with minimal gennie use. I'm not even going to run a cost analysis. Just want to be there as quietly as possible.
bluesdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Depends. Lead acid batteries are far more durable when it comes to high and low ambient temps. Coaches with battery compartments that are not temperature controlled and you travel in cold climates or hot ones, having lithiums will be an issue -4 to 160 degrees ttps://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/50ah-12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/
hot temps, maybe, cold? We run them on snowmachines and they're better than lead acids at 10 below. All lead acids including agm are only good to 50% if you don't want to damage them. 5000 watts of lifepo4s are 180 lbs. 10000 watts of agms is over 1000lbs. Tesla cells are 1/4 the weight of the po4s. And you can charge lithiums at their discharge ratings. Run your gen set for a 10th the time if you've got a charger that puts out the wattage.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels