Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Solar wiring

I am about to take delivery of a 2021 35CP. I was told by dealer service that it is hit or miss as to how and what gage wires are used or run for solar package. In fact they said running my own will be a costly nightmare. I did not buy with panels and wanted to install my own. Was this a mistake?TIA

PS Is there a good place to find a 12 volt distribution block to run 12 volt items inside the couch.
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2A View Post
I am about to take delivery of a 2021 35CP. I was told by dealer service that it is hit or miss as to how and what gage wires are used or run for solar package. In fact they said running my own will be a costly nightmare. I did not buy with panels and wanted to install my own. Was this a mistake?TIA

PS Is there a good place to find a 12 volt distribution block to run 12 volt items inside the couch.
Totally, absolutely not true! Long story, here are the Cliffs Notes version. I am in Red Bay right now and have gone down this rabbit hole with Tiffin.

I ordered my 2021 Bus with three solar panels. It was a mistake, I wanted six. If your coach is prewired for solar you have a pair of 10 gauge wires running from your roof to the battery bay. I asked the electrical department if there was a second set of wires pre installed since I could have six total panels on
my roof. The answer was no. One set of 10 gauge wires is all you get. Unless Tiffin manufacturing screwed up the wires are there.

While here in Ref Bay I had an additional four panels installed by Freedom Mobile RV. This in and of itself was an education. Freedom drilled a hole in the vertical section of the front cap (if you go up on the roof you’ll know what I mean) and ran two 10 gauge wires down the drivers side A-pillar and into the battery compartment. Easy. This took all of 15 minutes. He made no protrusions in the the flat surface of the roof. He then installed four 200 watt high efficiency monocrystalline panels on the roof, with raised brackets to prevent shading, with no, zero, protrusion into the roof. The four panels were wired series/parallel so that the 10 gauge wires could easily handle the DC current from the panels with virtually no IR losses.

Now comes the interesting part. For 2022 Tiffin is using a Go Solar (spelling may be wrong) controller for the solar panels that integrates into the Spyder control system. Nice that it shows up on the Spyder, not so nice that it is a low cost cheap system. For my installation Freedom threw out the Jaboni junk (2021 OEM from Tiffin) controller that came with my three panels and replaced it with Victron 30 amp controller and a separate Victron 50 amp controller for the four new panels. Victron is high end state of the art stuff and provides precise control over the solar system all through a Bluetooth app on your phone.

Now that I have seen the bigger and more complete picture I would not have had Tiffin install solar panels, only the solar prep. Between the Victron hardware, the high efficiency 200W solar panels (that are by the way the same physical size as the Tiffin installed 170 watt panels), the raised brackets that prevent solar panel shading from the valences on the top of the Bus, and the no roof penetration panel mounting, makes the aftermarket installation very compelling.

There’s a lot more detail to this so if you have something specific let me know. BTW Precision Mobile RV is highly rated. I understand why after seeing the detail he put into it.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:19 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I think you were wise to not get factory installed solar. By getting after market, you can take your time to figure out the best system for you. If you are going to have someone else install for you, they will have some ideas of a better system and install options.
Take your time to explore what is available

Tags
solar, wiring