Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Soon to be our 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH getting ready for the PDI

So been a long few months with looking at over a 1/2 dozen coaches and came close on two a 2016 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ which ended up with mice rampart throughout including the dashboard. Next a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH noticed some major oil leaks which were confirmed by the dealer. But today they had a great 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH which was in super shape inside and out. Dealer will replace all tires, change out all filters (oil/Fuel, etc.) on the Engine, Generator and Aqua-hot including servicing the Aqua-hot as well. Though we haven't done the PDI (next Saturday March 13th) we did go through a lot except the appliances since we weren't hooked up to water. Only several small issues they will fix as well as anything that comes up at the PDI. Sorry for such a long story, anyway I'm looking for anyone with the same year coach and anything specific I should be aware of that you might've had problems with so I might check it out as well. I also had a couple of questions.
*First, can the GPS or the side/rearview camera's be transferred up to the OH TV in the front of the coach while driving?
*Second, there's 3 thermostats, two up in the cabinet over the Passenger's seat and one in the middle of the coach. Do these control not just the ACs but also the Heat Pumps and the in floor heating? If so how do they work, I'm trying to get some insight before the PDI next week.
*Third, what is this button for on the dash and this red switch, both not labeled?
*Fourth found this in the Bedroom behind the vented cabinet with the fan unplugged, I plugged it in and it worked. But is this how it should look and how can I check out the in-motion satellite dish to make sure it works. I do have a portable Dish Tailgater along with several receivers and subscription for on the road but not sure how that would work on this set up.
*Fifth, is there unclaimed space behind the fireplace?
*Sixth what are this access points are they to the engine? if so how do I open them ?
*Seventh what are these cables I do note there's a J1939 Black data connector, seems one is for the optional CB but not sure on the other.
*Last, at least for now, is it normal to have this foam blowing out various locations under slides and in generator bay, etc.
So I'm attaching some pictures hopefully the come in order that I've labeled my questions. Sorry for such a long post and Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH Front OH TV 3 5 21.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	320288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Frt Thermostats 3 6 21.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	320289  

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH Dash top left 3 5 21.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	320290   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH drivers controls left side 3 5 21.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	320291  

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH Vented cabinet in bedroom 3 5 21.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	320295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Is there just dead space behind fireplace.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	320296  

Name:	Closet Access to engine  3 6 21.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	320297   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH unknown Cables 3 5 21.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	320298  

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH Foam Insulation under slide rail 3 5 21 .jpg
Views:	46
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	320299   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH foam in corner above Generator 3 5 21.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	320300  

dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #2

Congrats and good luck!

We don't have the same year coach so I can't answer all your questions but:

*Third, what is this button for on the dash and this red switch, both not labeled?

The button on the dash appears to be the pedal (brake and accelerator) adjustment control. The red switch should be for the heated mirrors, assuming this coach has that feature.

Tiffin still has 2016 Phaeton manuals on their site. If you don't have it already, might be worth downloading and browsing through prior to the PDI.

Hope this helped!
Sam
Old 03-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Having just done a PDI I will tell you that I felt very rushed going through it with the dealer rep. He mostly pointed out what he wanted me to see for about 2 hours. I requested a second day PDI before I signed off. I came back with a friend and a couple good flashlights, pens and notepads and spent the day totally going through the unit noting anything that even resembled a problem. That list got corrected before signoff. Too big of an investment not to get it right. Also, the dealer had no objections which was a good sign.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
#2 - How many AC units do you have? Do you have heated floors? Do you have AquaHot?

On our Bus, the thermostats control the ACs/heat pumps/AquaHot furnace (each thermostat controls 1 AC/heat pump). The ACs on our Bus are all heat pumps. If you select "gas" on a thermostat, that should turn on the AquaHot furnace.

If you only have 2 ACs and you have heated floors, then I'm guessing the separate thermostat is for the floors.

#7 - Ours has the same look for the sprayed in foam.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
A few of your questions.

As mentioned, the red switch is mirror heat. The other switch is a dash light dimmer switch.

The thermostats control the A/C and the heat pumps as well as the furnace or aqua hot heat. They don’t control the heated floors.

On our 40QBH we had wasted space behind the fireplace. We have it hinged now so that we can readily use the storage opportunity.

The foam spray is normal.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We spent a good 8 hours doing our own inspection, and that was after 2 earlier test drives and initial reviews. Two of us, so one could turn on the AC while another was on the roof listening; one was in the basement, outside, on the roof while the other operated the slides. And we still didn't have enough time to test a couple items (e.g., AGS)!

I think a good dealer should be OK with that as long as you've put a deposit down, pending inspection.

Used a modified version of the inspection lists on this forum.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
A few of your questions.

As mentioned, the red switch is mirror heat. The other switch is a dash light dimmer switch.

The thermostats control the A/C and the heat pumps as well as the furnace or aqua hot heat. They don’t control the heated floors.

On our 40QBH we had wasted space behind the fireplace. We have it hinged now so that we can readily use the storage opportunity.

You are right about the dash light dimmer. Sorry for the bad info!

Sam
Old 03-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
We spent a good 8 hours doing our own inspection, and that was after 2 earlier test drives and initial reviews. Two of us, so one could turn on the AC while another was on the roof listening; one was in the basement, outside, on the roof while the other operated the slides. And we still didn't have enough time to test a couple items (e.g., AGS)!

I think a good dealer should be OK with that as long as you've put a deposit down, pending inspection.

Used a modified version of the inspection lists on this forum.
Yes, I agree with your approach on the PDI. I spent over 4 hrs. yesterday after the 50 mile highway and back road drive crawling under and around it, operating whatever I could without being hooked up to water or shore power. I'm fairly knowledge about what to look for though never claim to be an expert but it's why my Pre-PDI has been helpful to me in turning down several of the coaches already. They know me well where I'm buying this Coach since I bought my current DP from them of which I spent the entire day running everything after the initial pre-PDI several weeks earlier spurned several things to be fixed. They're aware I've not changed and have been told to be ready once again...LOL
Now I do got to go to the roof but since I've heard that the ladder only supports upwards to 200 lbs. and I'm 250 I've asked for them to supply a ladder but I'm interested to know what you were trying to find out by listening to the roof AC's. Was it just listening to see if they all sounded the same ? or something else. I'm always willing to learn new tricks. And the AGS is something I missed the last time so thanks for bringing that up so I can add it to my list.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
A few of your questions.

Thanks for the info, I do got to go on site to pull the manuals for this particular coach to start reading it. Do you or anyone else know how the heated floor is controlled. This unit has 3 rooftop AC's and I think they all have heat pumps in them as well. Now I know I ran the AC's and checked those out and thought I ran the Heat pumps by switching it to either gas or electric on all three thermostats (sorry only showed two of the three but the other is next to the mid-coach 1/2 bath).
As for the space behind the fireplace you sound like me always looking for some new place to utilize wasted space. Could you send my some pictures on how you did it I will probably do something similar since it seems there's a lot of empty space there. Unlike some this TV doesn't disappear into the cabinet.
I figured the foam in the generator bay was normal but wasn't sure of the foam near the slides. Is the slide foam is more of an eyesore so I'm wondering if this is something I can trim out without any issues?
Thanks again
Old 03-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserchrome View Post
Having just done a PDI I will tell you that I felt very rushed going through it with the dealer rep. He mostly pointed out what he wanted me to see for about 2 hours. I requested a second day PDI before I signed off. I came back with a friend and a couple good flashlights, pens and notepads and spent the day totally going through the unit noting anything that even resembled a problem. That list got corrected before signoff. Too big of an investment not to get it right. Also, the dealer had no objections which was a good sign.
As I mentioned I'll not be rushed especially when I'm spending this kind of money. I've already told them like before I'll drive my trade home after the PDI is there's too many issues or disagreements with what needs to be fixed. Some may say I'm a little too tough as the last time when I traded in my Class A gasser for my current Forza 38W DP they had to wait until they ordered several parts and fix it the DP before I signed off on it. My Gasser sat there for a month. But no pressure, no hassle, they were great and the Service manager and his people took care of me. So I don't expect any issues but I'll never say never. thanks for you input.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was listening & feeling for any unusual noises or vibrations - compressor & fan. Did they all sound the same? Same start up time? Any laboring on the initial start up? Also looked for initial & ongoing load (via Magum inside) for each one.

I took my own ladder, but was able to use the attached one. Going up there just allowed me to inspect roof, AC covers, toppers, awnings, top side of each slide.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Propane furnace & water heater or does it have the aquahot heating system? The Phaeton had an option that year for an all electric coach. No propane tank on that coach then. It would then have the residential fridge. You have a control panel in the center of the coach to switch from diesel to electric for aquahot. You also have a control there for the electric heated floor , if your coach has that option , to turn them on and adjust the temp. There are 2 zones front and rear. The adjustment is for numbers 1 thru 5. 1 is lowest and 5 is hottest. That electronics cabinet in the bedroom is a mess. That coach came with an LG DVD player that is also the sound system for the subwoofer which is in the siding area and the stereo speakers for the tv above the fireplace. I don’t recognize what those devices are hanging in there. Yes there was a fan there such as what is in a computer cabinet. The electronic video switching device that was in that coach gets very hot.
That black port in front of the driver seat is for the engine diagnostics. There is also one in engine compartment.
Yes those covers are the engine access covers. You will find square headed screws in the carpet to take them off. I had a 2016 Phaeton 42LH. It was a very good coach. But I traded it in for a 2019 40’ Allegro bus. I like it better.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I was listening & feeling for any unusual noises or vibrations - compressor & fan. Did they all sound the same? Same start up time? Any laboring on the initial start up? Also looked for initial & ongoing load (via Magum inside) for each one.

I took my own ladder, but was able to use the attached one. Going up there just allowed me to inspect roof, AC covers, toppers, awnings, top side of each slide.
Thanks good idea on taking your own ladder, I'll probably will do the same and listen like you fir unusual sounds or slow startup and check the draw on each. Since they note the ladder as 200 lb limit another ladder is best cannot afford to break my left leg one more time (4xs, twice on duty). I don't think they can fit anymore metal in it..lol. with this coach, only the duct is showing, all the ACs main units are out of site. Which IMHO translates to quieter operations. I noticed that during the preliminary inspection. Thanks
Old 03-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #14

As for running output to the TV. Probably, just gotta run RCA cable from the TV cabinet down to behind the dash. Then the inverter needs to be on. Can say from experience, better to have that stuff in your field of vision while driving. Mine was run to a 15" monitor in the middle of the dash, it's a real pain to have to move your head and body both to get a good angle on it. If you want an extra monitor, a lot of people will put one on the left hand side of the dash in the corner. That's a blind spot anyway cuz of your side view mirrors. There are about a bajillion cheap monitors on amazon. Other option would be to ditch the GPS altogether, older those things get the less useful they are. I just mounted a tablet where I could see it, although there's an argument for upgrading the stereo head to something Apple Play or Android Auto compatible, get something with a 10" screen and you'll be rolling fly.

Tags
phaeton, tiffin