Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #1

Spare Tire

Just realized our 2020 Wayfarer has no spare tire.
What have others done about this? Last month we traveled through Nevada Utah and Arizona. What would we do if we got a flat out in the desert where it was 117F.
rsockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

Most just have Coachnet travel insurance and a cell phone. As long as you can make calls you're good. I used Coachnet in the middle of Canada no problem. More than 2 hours from Prince George. And in the US several times too.

There are tire racks that can be installed underneath the RV. There are also tire racks that hang off the back of the RV (but the heat coming from a diesel pusher back there would shorten the tires life span).

But those methods are kind of a hassle. An RV is basically a paved road machine so wherever you go there should be a truck tire mobile service within shouting distance. And Coachnet will find them for you.

Just be sure you keep the proper air pressure in the tires. You'll be fine.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Most just have Coachnet travel insurance and a cell phone. As long as you can make calls you're good. I used Coachnet in the middle of Canada no problem. More than 2 hours from Prince George. And in the US several times too.

There are tire racks that can be installed underneath the RV. There are also tire racks that hang off the back of the RV (but the heat coming from a diesel pusher back there would shorten the tires life span).

But those methods are kind of a hassle. An RV is basically a paved road machine so wherever you go there should be a truck tire mobile service within shouting distance. And Coachnet will find them for you.

Just be sure you keep the proper air pressure in the tires. You'll be fine.
And have an extra dose of patience because when your already at wits end and the tire shop repair is 2 hours and counting, that 117 degr will rise to 212 in the DW.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
And have an extra dose of patience because when your already at wits end and the tire shop repair is 2 hours and counting, that 117 degr will rise to 212 in the DW.
Get a new DW. One with patience.

Besides, isn't an RV used for relaxation?

Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
PKI

It's not quite as simple as picking up the phone and waiting for your hero. A comparable or matching spare may not be available. Having an unmounted matching spare is one solution. But you can use whatever is available to get you to a tire repair shop and install what they can get in a reasonable period of time.

The key is to understand what you can and cannot do. Your wait may be several days or it might only be the time it takes to plug the tire. Research your options and develop a plan.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #6

Iím considering mounting a spare underneath, but havenít done it yet because Iím concerned about the weight. With the low OCCC on our unit, weíre already operating close to the limit. Between the tire, rim and holder the total weight would be 125-150lbs. In the mean time weíll count on roadside assistance. I also carry a tire plug kit and air compressor (to be used as a last resort).
Old 08-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJake View Post
I’m considering mounting a spare underneath, but haven’t done it yet because I’m concerned about the weight. With the low OCCC on our unit, we’re already operating close to the limit. Between the tire, rim and holder the total weight would be 125-150lbs. In the mean time we’ll count on roadside assistance. I also carry a tire plug kit and air compressor (to be used as a last resort).
A 22.5" tire without the wheel is ~85lbs. When people are taking long trips like to Alaska where the chances of local service or replacement tires are a bit scarce, they take the tire, shrink wrap it, and lash it in place up on the roof. I've even read of some that didn't even lash it. Admittedly that happened more often in the days when there were rails up there but it's still possible. Big tires can be changed without using a tire busting machine by tire guys using tire irons. That's all I saw them use at Love's tire shops when I got new tires. With the right tool, it's really not that big of a job. At my age, I wouldn't want to do it alone, but a young 20-60yo could handle it.

When I took a long trip from Alaska down to the US a few years ago and my tires were almost aged out, I carried a tire casing in the bedroom for some of the trip, moving it into the bathroom when needed, until I realized it would be more convenient to store it in the tub. Sold it for what I'd paid for it when I got back to the US.

But I would still suggest that carrying a spare in the vast majority of an RV'ers travels would be unnecessary.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJake View Post
Iím considering mounting a spare underneath, but havenít done it yet because Iím concerned about the weight. With the low OCCC on our unit, weíre already operating close to the limit. Between the tire, rim and holder the total weight would be 125-150lbs. In the mean time weíll count on roadside assistance. I also carry a tire plug kit and air compressor (to be used as a last resort).
All good advice. As an example, if your toad is a vehicle like a Jeep, on long trips, throw the tire or spare in the Jeep. I have always carried an extra tire ready to mount if needed.
I believe the fact is that itís not if youíre going to ever need that tire, but when. Like a good Boy Scout would say, BE PREPARED.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #9

2011 Tiffin Allegro Breeze. We got a Roadmaster spare tire mount which uses the drawbar hitch. We had to get a new 19.5 x 7.5 aluminum rim and a good used tire. We use it on long out of state trips. No matter how carefully you maintain your tires, you can run over a road hazard especially at night. If pulling a trailer, the tire can ride on the trailer. Would not want to get caught in the middle of a holiday weekend and worry if a proper size replacement is available.
SAMPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #10

Your weight is already at the limit. Eventually you will have to choose between your wife or a spare tire.
I strongly suggest you keep your wife, and buy a flat tire repair kit and a Viair RV compressor.
Most flat tires are caused by a nail. Quite easy to repair.
Michel Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsockey View Post
Just realized our 2020 Wayfarer has no spare tire.
What have others done about this? Last month we traveled through Nevada Utah and Arizona. What would we do if we got a flat out in the desert where it was 117F.
Many Mercedes Benz based Class C RVs don't have them. Weight... Neither does my Fiat 500 dinghy nor my Tesla Model S. Spare tires are getting harder and harder to come by on many vehicles now adays. I carry a repair kit with me.

However, when my valve stem gave out on one of my duals earlier this year I called AAA and Les Schwab mobile tire repair showed up. He replaced the rubber valve stem with steel one and we were back on our way in a couple of hours. The main lesson learned? Always bring my TOAD vehicle so I'm not stuck and have a mobile option still available.

Best,
-Mark
Old 08-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #12

I carry a plug kit, small compressor and a couple of cans of “fix-a-flat”. No one mentioned that you’ll also need a jack or else carrying a spare is useless. If packing a jack - make sure it’s capable of lifting the loaded weight of the rear axle of the coach, because you can bet it’ll be the inside rear that gets the flat.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #13

dual as spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
A 22.5" tire without the wheel is ~85lbs. When people are taking long trips like to Alaska where the chances of local service or replacement tires are a bit scarce, they take the tire, shrink wrap it, and lash it in place up on the roof. I've even read of some that didn't even lash it. Admittedly that happened more often in the days when there were rails up there but it's still possible. Big tires can be changed without using a tire busting machine by tire guys using tire irons. That's all I saw them use at Love's tire shops when I got new tires. With the right tool, it's really not that big of a job. At my age, I wouldn't want to do it alone, but a young 20-60yo could handle it.

When I took a long trip from Alaska down to the US a few years ago and my tires were almost aged out, I carried a tire casing in the bedroom for some of the trip, moving it into the bathroom when needed, until I realized it would be more convenient to store it in the tub. Sold it for what I'd paid for it when I got back to the US
But I would still suggest that carrying a spare in the vast majority of an RV'ers travels would be unnecessary.
We have dual tires in back. Can I use one of the duals as a spare up front? And can I drive without one dual?
rsockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsockey View Post
We have dual tires in back. Can I use one of the duals as a spare up front? And can I drive without one dual?
Well, that’s a loaded question. Using one of the dual real tires is certainly an option, but probably not recommended. Both dually tires are required to carry the weight properly. Plus, you would need the tools to jack up the MH and remove the tires.

We drove (very slowly) on one dually after we experienced a valve failure. I was white knuckling it the entire way (and keeping a close watch on the TPMS to make sure the pressure wasn’t rising in the single tire).

Tags
tire