Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I guess they are growing quite a bit:
This just came out yesterday:
Spartan Chassis announces record-setting RVIA
(Nov. 29, 2007) -- The chassis manufacturer has 40 different RV models feature its product at Louisville.
PRNewswire
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Spartan Chassis, Inc., a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc., reported that a record number of motorhome models will feature the company's custom chassis. The Charlotte, Mich.-based manufacturer of custom chassis said its products will be featured on 40 different RV models at the 45th Annual RVIA Trade Show in Louisville, Ky., up from 36 in 2006.

Spartan attributed the growth to its ability to produce highly customized chassis to support the new generation of RV's that are currently being produced. All Spartan chassis are custom engineered to meet individual coach- builder specifications, allowing Spartan to be the platform for a wide variety of vehicles ranging from mid-size Class A models all the way to luxurious highline motorhomes. Spartan's family of chassis, consisting of the frame assembly, engine, transmission, electrical system and running gear, combine for the best performing driving experience in the Class A RV market.

"Our OEM partners continue to come up with creative, and innovative motorhome designs, and they know that they can look to us to provide them with a premium, high-performance foundation that can support their unique models and needs," said Richard Schalter, president of Spartan Chassis. "The fact that our product can be found on so many different vehicles is a testament to our individualized approach and true custom-build business model. We are on track to produce more chassis in 2007 than we did in 2006, and we have solid expectations for 2008 to grow even more based on our increased market share of the 2009 model year RVs."

RVIA is the preeminent trade show for the RV dealer market, annually showcasing the latest RV technology and new models. More than 14,000 RV dealers, warehouse distributors, accessory store owners, campground operators and exhibitors are expected to attend this year's RVIA event, which will feature innovative products and services across more than 920,000 square feet of exhibit space.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I guess they are growing quite a bit:
This just came out yesterday:
Spartan Chassis announces record-setting RVIA
(Nov. 29, 2007) -- The chassis manufacturer has 40 different RV models feature its product at Louisville.
PRNewswire
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Spartan Chassis, Inc., a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc., reported that a record number of motorhome models will feature the company's custom chassis. The Charlotte, Mich.-based manufacturer of custom chassis said its products will be featured on 40 different RV models at the 45th Annual RVIA Trade Show in Louisville, Ky., up from 36 in 2006.

Spartan attributed the growth to its ability to produce highly customized chassis to support the new generation of RV's that are currently being produced. All Spartan chassis are custom engineered to meet individual coach- builder specifications, allowing Spartan to be the platform for a wide variety of vehicles ranging from mid-size Class A models all the way to luxurious highline motorhomes. Spartan's family of chassis, consisting of the frame assembly, engine, transmission, electrical system and running gear, combine for the best performing driving experience in the Class A RV market.

"Our OEM partners continue to come up with creative, and innovative motorhome designs, and they know that they can look to us to provide them with a premium, high-performance foundation that can support their unique models and needs," said Richard Schalter, president of Spartan Chassis. "The fact that our product can be found on so many different vehicles is a testament to our individualized approach and true custom-build business model. We are on track to produce more chassis in 2007 than we did in 2006, and we have solid expectations for 2008 to grow even more based on our increased market share of the 2009 model year RVs."

RVIA is the preeminent trade show for the RV dealer market, annually showcasing the latest RV technology and new models. More than 14,000 RV dealers, warehouse distributors, accessory store owners, campground operators and exhibitors are expected to attend this year's RVIA event, which will feature innovative products and services across more than 920,000 square feet of exhibit space.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, Spartan has always manufactured great products and has built quite a name for themselves. THey have always led the industry in new designs and generated money for their stock holders. I know ours has performed flawlessly for the almost 6 years we have owned it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I sure am impressed with mine. My initial search 4 years ago for a DP pretty much led me to the Dutch Star on a Spartan. But the Allegro Bus won out, even though it had a Freightliner. I'm glad that I went with the Bus and I lived with the Freightliner but now that I have a Spartan underneath my latest Bus I couldn't be happier. The few times I've contacted the company for information, spare filters, and two minor warranty items I was just as impressed by their commitment to service as I was with their product quality and performance. They really do mirror Tiffin's philosophy and quality level and are a perfect match for them.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have heard Tiffin is going to build a few Phaetons with the Spartan chassis next month. I ordered a Phaeton that is scheduled to be built next month. Would it be worth changing the order. If they are that much better, I'm willing to do so. I'm sure it would cost a few K more.
Ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Mark, will my '08 QRP rest on an MMG or a K2?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Bob,

Allegro Busses built on Spartan chassis are on the MMGT. After test driving one myself, I think the Spartan is a wise upgrade.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
Bob,

Allegro Busses built on Spartan chassis are on the MMGT. After test driving one myself, I think the Spartan is a wise upgrade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having owned both the Vectra 40KD on the Freightliner and two Spartan K2's, I'll opt for the Spartan every time.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, Tiffin is always pushing the limits and upgrading every year. The Phaeton is now what the Allegro Bus used to be 5 years ago. Tiffin scuttlebut is always thatthere are "big changes" for next year. I've heard the same regarding the '09s that'll be starting out next May. Sometimes there are big changes and sometimes it's just fluff. It all depends on which product line they put the major engineering into that particular year.

While I have no idea when - I can see Tiffin eventually upgrading the Bus to a K2 and ISM engine and moving the Phaeton to the MMGT chasis and introducing a new entry level coach. Newmar did it with the Monutain Aire when they went to the K2/450 ISM and sales really took off on that model. I guess it's just a matter of time until the Bus goes the same way.

Meanwhile the MMGT/400ISL is more than adequate for the 42/43QRP. But then again, I wouldn't mind having a 500 ISM under the cowling.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Mark.... Spartan has been very very good to me, I have the VP of Customer Service's cell phone number programmed in my phone from my Essex debacle days....Even talked to the guy over the Christmas holidays last year as I was having issues....
In all fairness, I never had the occassion to speak to anyone other than Mike Cody with Freightliner,so there's no prob there either...
Mike Cody is the Director of Training for Freightshaker....oops!

Probably should've never traded the Essex with the "QRP-like" floorplan, but I was all done with getting left on the road....
The QRP floorplan rocks, in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I thought I heard Tiffin was going to begin building his own chassis. Has anyone else heard this? Hope it's not true....hard to beat that Spartan chassis.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #12

Bob check out enclosed link. http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/alle...werChassis.pdf
chassis was designed by same person that designed Peak chassis for Alpine. Tag is supposed to be available towards end of 1st quarter of 08.
Will be ordering 43QRP as soon as Powerglide is available.
alpinerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The powerliner chassis looks good, but personally I'm going to stick with Spartan. I did debate waiting on ordering our rig until the Powerliner with the tag was available, but I don't see enough advantages with it to wait or be one of the first with one for that matter.

About the only significant difference I see that matters to me between the Powerliner and Spartan is the front disk brakes. Freightliner also offered front disks, but I felt the Spartan with air drums all around over all was the better chassis. Spartan uses a wider shoe front brake than the FL so it seemed to me to stop very well.

Another key factor in my decision is that I have a Spartan shop less than 20 miles from home should I ever need service....I'm not sure where the Powerline would be serviced.

I think it's great that Tiffin will offer choices as with any of the three chassis, I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That's pretty much how I felt about the Powerglide chassis. The thing that got the ball rolling on the Powerglide was the overheating issue common to the Freightliner side radiator chassis and the way Freightliner handled (actually "didn't" handle) the situation. That got Bob Tiffin going on building a quality chassis where he could control how it was designed, built, and backed. But, once the Spartan chassis was offered in the 2006 model year, there just wasn't as much reason to go to the Powerglide because the Spartan is pretty much there. My Mountain Master GT has been an awesome chassis and my contacts with Spartan have been excellent. It's a huge departure from Freightliner. While the Powerglide may indeed by a great chassis I just don't see the need to go to it given the excellent results I'm having with Spartan.