Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Squeaky shades?

2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA

The shades in the front window and the shade in the panoramic window behind the sink and stove squeak as I have never heard before. Did anyone else have this happen and what did you do to quiet them?? I was thinking of trying petroleum jelly?

Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Good question. We've been RVing for almost 30 years, but in 2016, we purchased our 36UA. We go on frequent journeys in our motorhome. Just recently, I've noticed something similar to what you are mentioning. With us, though, it's not at the annoying level (yet). And, it's not an "all of the time" thing. Anyway. Glad you posted, & I'll be following along here, about your inquiry if lubing is appropriate.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
x2 watching for an answer

We to have a loud squeak that my wife can't seem to locate that comes and goes. It appears in the PS slide around the sink are. I never thought of the shades. DW doesn't drive so I need to have a driver so I can investigate. What do you think is making the shade squeak that you need to lube?
How it's mounted or the shade itself?

Joe and Rita
2020 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH All Electric
2014 Explorer and Our blind dog Rex
Old 01-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #4

I have the same problem. It is a very disturbing noise. I have tried a lot of things. Most recently I stuffed foam rubber above the shades which I think helped, but I will still hear the noise from time to time. I am looking forward to hearing what other people have done.
Gannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I am not quite sure how they are mounted but I can recreate the noise by moving the shade back and forth horizontally. I know home shades are mounted through a bracket and on the end of the shade is a pin that goes through the bracket and I think this is making the noise. Unfortunately, it is deep inside the backsplash frame on the panoramic window and I did not try taking off the backsplash frame which I might have to do. What I did for the moment but not tested it yet was stop the shade from moving horizontally by putting a piece of folded cardboard between the one end of the shade bracket and the backsplash wall. I also tried to spray some T-9 onto the pin but I don't think it made it there. I was going to use petroleum jelly on the pin but could not get it onto it so I may have to remove the backsplash wall.

Also when I looked there is a bracket that is holding the backsplash wall to the coach and the screw was loose in the bracket and when I moved it back and forth I heard the same squeak. I will let you know when I drive it to put it away in storage today.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey kboucher. It sounds like you are a good detective. If it's an issue that is, really, eating your lunch, I'm sure that you'll figure it out. Thanks for sharing on the subject, though, so others that may experience a similar issue, will be inspired to solve those challenges (I like to replace the word "problem" with "challenge"). We've been very pleased with our 36UA. 2016 was the first year for this model. It seems that what was done was, to change things from the 2 driver side slides on the 36LA, to one big slide out on the 36UA. I like the 26k chassis with the big slide. It, really, opens things up, and seems spacious. Your 2019 has the panoramic window that you wrote about. Mine has one window over the sink. But, again thanks for posting on your findings with the squeaking challenge.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
x2 watching for an answer

kboucher:
Thanks for the information. Our coach is at the storage facility and we are planning to use it over Valentine's Day weekend. When I bring it back to our house I'll check out those screws and let you know if that was our issue too.
It will be great not to hear that annoying squeak.

Joe and Rita
2020 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH All Electric
2014 Explorer and Our blind dog Rex
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
These kind of squeaks drive me crazy.

I had the squeak that sounded like it was coming from the somewhere over the sink. For me, it was an easy fix once I found it. The screws that hold the shade assembly were loose. I'm not at the RV now, but I think there were two screws on each side that held the vertical parts of the assembly to the wall, easily accessed and tightened.

I also had a squeak over the drivers window. This turned out to be loose screws holding the shade assembly to the ceiling. The shade is held with clips to a bracket that is screwed into the ceiling. It took a while to figure out how to unclip the shade from the bracket. Again, I'm not at the RV, but I remember that the clips are spring loaded and easily released once you see how the clip works. Once removed, it was obvious that the screws holding the clip to the ceiling pulled loose. The loose screws were clearly due to a sloppy initial build - one screw was too short and another did not hit the wood above the ceiling material. Putting in longer screws that hit wood in the ceiling solved the problem.
KenTep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:50 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220128_105206.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	354893
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTep View Post
I had the squeak that sounded like it was coming from the somewhere over the sink. For me, it was an easy fix once I found it. The screws that hold the shade assembly were loose. I'm not at the RV now, but I think there were two screws on each side that held the vertical parts of the assembly to the wall, easily accessed and tightened.
Here's a pic of the two screws that were loose on one side of the shade (don't know why it's rotated - does anyone know how to un-rotate an attached jpg?).
KenTep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not surprised that KenTep mentioned that the screws being too short to support, were an issue. I've encountered that with the 5 RVs that I've owned over 3 decades. Often I've mentioned, "if the dang screw was just an 1/8th of inch longer, we wouldn't be having this problem". Recently, I saw a guy put plumbers tape around a screw, and screwed it back into the loose panel that was on the outside of his RV's dining bench seats. It seemed to work. For how long, though? Time will tell. Never thought of that, before. On my list of 'to-do" is to go around the entire inside of the rv, and tighten screws. It's one of those "I'll get around to it" things, though. I've been on some bumpy highways over the years, as I'm sure many others have, and am not surprised when some things start shaking loose.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:43 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTep View Post
These kind of squeaks drive me crazy.

I also had a squeak over the drivers' window. This turned out to be loose screws holding the shade assembly to the ceiling. The shade is held with clips to a bracket that is screwed into the ceiling. It took a while to figure out how to unclip the shade from the bracket. Again, I'm not at the RV, but I remember that the clips are spring-loaded and easily released once you see how the clip works. Once removed, it was obvious that the screws holding the clip to the ceiling pulled loose. The loose screws were clearly due to a sloppy initial build - one screw was too short and another did not hit the wood above the ceiling material. Putting in longer screws that hit wood in the ceiling solved the problem.
Thank for this info Ken as my shade in front also started to squeak and like you it drives me crazy.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:21 PM   #12

A shot of silicon spray. Simple fix
TomGur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #13

This may be off base to your issue, but I had a similar noise that was maddening. I paid a repair guy to ride with me and located the squeak coming from the window. I talked to a number of Tiffin factory guys and they came up with the problem and fix. Turns out it was due to the outside window frame rubbing on the inside window frame, AKA metal on metal rub n' squeak. Sometimes the walls are too thin in places and don't provide enough clearance.

The fix was to:

Have one person hold the outside frame against the coach while a second one unscrew the inside frame.

Take thin one side adhesive 1/4" foam weather strip and place it on the frame in inside edge of the frame in the coach wall where it will meet the frame that you removed. Screw the inside frame back in and have the guy outside get a beer or two.

PS: If you don't have an outside guy hold the frame the window will fall out of the coach!

Tags
squeak