Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Stairs cover

just came back from Red Bay. noticed that the electric stairs cover stopped operating. anybody replaced it? i tried to use the tech support, but seems that
since Tiffin changed hands, it takes for ever to get thru.
joe p
2019 bus IP
orit1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #2

I had the same problem. Motor quit with the cover out, but that’s another story. To get at the motor, you have to run your generator out. You get at the slide cover motor from underneath the coach. The access plate to the motor is above and behind the generator roughly on the centerline. Once you remove the plate you should be able to access the motor. I’d check the voltage and wiring before replacing. Hope his helps.
Tedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

One other thought. Have you checked the fuse in the basement compartment below the drivers seat. Sometimes when both my DW and I hit the button at the same time to move the cover, it trips the fuse.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently had to change my motor out since the plastic worm gear inside the housing stripped. The access plate behind the generator is a pain to get to and once the motor is loose, it has to be removed from the step side. The motor and worm gear are available as a complete assembly from Tiffin. As suggested, be sure to check the circuit breaker first as I've had the same thing happen causing it to trip.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #5

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a Spyder cable plug unplugged in the second basement compartment on the ceiling. It was on of four small cables plugged in side by side. If that is it your windshield shade will not work either. 2019 Phaeton 40 AH
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
hi
thanks for the input. i checked the power (forgot to ck the GRD), at the switch. the power was ok. sometimes the motor moves an inch before quit. i saw the plate at the far corner with 2 bolts, but didn't think the motor can come out from there. as Dan says, maybe after releasing the motor, i will be able to pull the cover manually and disassemble the all piece. shame that the motor didnt last even 10 actions.
orit1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

We Be Gone, you’re my hero. Just left the rv shop. Rv had been there nearly two weeks for some routine maintenance, basement door painting, and inop front shades. Picked coach up today and tech still stumped. Knew how to make a work around to make shades operate but I wanted it done the way it was supposed to be. Long story short but showed him this thread, an sure enough the clip locking mechanism in the second basement door holding the wire had broken. New clip and shades worked. He would never have thought to look there because the spyder wiring diagram had in down by the fuse box below the driver. Many thanks. Learn something here everyday.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ours went out. It was the cotter pin that broke. Once you get the cover plate off, verify the worm drive is attached. If not it will be a 1/8 cotter pin that has snapped off. Lining up the holes are the toughest part when putting it back together. I posted a few pictures the last time I had to replace the pin.
here is a link.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/40i...ir-504653.html
Theroughlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #9

Tedo, you are welcome. That what's good about this forum. Not to insult and belittle anyone, but actual experience to help. It is hard to believe all the things Spyder controls. Calling Spyder is a good move as they can quickly steer you in the right direction. Also they will sell directly to anyone. They even have all VIN numbers so they know exactly what you have on your coach. So put Spyder Controls on your speed dial list.

Another hint....if you lose chassis air conditioning and rear coach brake and turn signals, including toad lights, your have a Power Distribution Module failure. It is a Freightliner problem and they must have a test box to diagnose.
Bay Diesel in Red Bay replaces 8-10 of these a week.
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cover