Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Starting Problem - 2007 Allegro Bus

I'm having trouble starting my coach, an 07 Bus on a Freightliner chassis. About a month ago the chassis batteries were down from the winter (coach was plugged in so the house batteries are fine), but we charged them and got it started fine. I ran it for about an hour, then shut it down and plugged in a small solar panel to keep them charged.

Now, when I turn the ignition on, the guages and panel light up and the voltmeter shows about 9 volts. When I use the aux start, the voltage goes to 12v, but I get nothing when I turn the key to start it. Not even a weak crank. However a voltmeter test directly on the batteries shows 13.7 volts. I also checked all of the fuses I could find in and around the battery and inverter bays and they were all intact.

This may or may not be related, but the drivers side slides do not operate either.

Anybody got a suggestion?

ERG Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

I'd almost bet on bad batteries. I just went through a similar episode with our Advantage. I'd let the batteries go for about 2 months without being in or running the coach. Was able to start using the battery boost from the house batteries, but they never would hold a charge. Would take a charge and show good voltage on the meters, but wouldn't crank or hold a load. Ended up replacing both batteries to solve the problem.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Richard,
The DS slides are electric. If there's no juice in battery, they don't work. I think Robb is probably right about your batteries. You might try cranking your generator and turn you key to accessory so that it can charge the chassis batteries along with the coach ones. It might get them up enough for you to start the coach if you need to take it some place to change out the batteries. If you can do it yourself, you get to save the bucks. Also, a Tric-L-Start (or battery minder) is a good, relatively cheap investment. It will keep the chassis batteries charged up while your on SP.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #4

I think Historyljc hit the nail right on the head!

I would also say that your batteries are not up to par. You need to try to get a good long charge into them. Then check to see if they hold it. If not you will need to get new batteries for your engine. Also check to see what the fluid level is in them. Make sure you use "Distilled Water" if you add any.

It is true, as already mentioned, that the DS slides are electric. If the battery condition is down then they will not operate properly.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #5

OPS ! Sorry........I ment to say Robb.......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #6

I had this problem when my BatteryMinder that charges the chassis batteries was set too low. After several weeks the parasitic drains pulled the batteries down to about 7.9 volts. When I tried starting and got nothing, I then tried the battery boost from the house batteries which were at 13.7 volts as they should be. Nothing happened, still no start. What happens when this occurs is that the house batteries voltage drops immediately below the starting threshold as they are trying to recharge the chassis batteries. I ran a high level charge on the chassis batteries and got them up to 13 volts and all is well. I re-set my charger to 8 amps and it is working fine now. If I had left the chassis batteries stay at that low voltage level long enough, they would have died, but fortunately, mine came back up. So, if your chassis batteries are way low in voltage, the battery boost may not help at all until you get a charge on the chassis batteries.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help, guys. It turned out to be a corroded and failed starter relay, which was located behind the left rear mudflap, fully exposed to the wheel spray.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Although I don't own tiffin (wish I had), you might try sizing a rubbermaid container around that relay, to keep it out of the road spray. Cut out holes just large enought for the wiring, and use sillicone clear caulk to make it a little better watertight after the cuts. Just a thought trying to be helpful.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

Thanks

Good idea, I'll have a look at it. I asked the mechanic to coat the relays with grease or oil to lessen the corrosion as well.