Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steering issues?

Hello everyone, I'm new at this so please bare with me. I drive a Tiffin (RED) 2017 and I'm having issues with steering . it seems to wander more than I would like, but I'm told, it is normal. Any feedback would be appreciated. I do not enjoy driving this coach.
Jackbnibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jacknibble,

Welcome to the Forum! I don't have an answer for you but am sure someone will come along with one.

There is a search feature here where you can ask that question and it will bring up any threads on that subject. Give it a try.

Best of luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You'll like it here.

A lot of coaches have a certain degree of lane roaming. Is this a new thing or has it always been this way?

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:23 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Using the search engine or checking in on the Tiffin thread here will probably get you the info you are seeking
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jack! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with your problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

OK, so there are many variables to "steering problems".

Are you talking about the MH not staying in it's lane even though you are not moving the wheel on calm days?

Windy day movement?

18 wheelers going by?

Many state and local roads were built with crests in them, and those roads were not built with a lot of precision, so you might be getting some back and forth based on the crest. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do about it.

If there is "play" in the wheel your chassis manufacturer (I think Freightliner) should be able to diagnose the problem if it exists and make adjustments. There is some play that is expected, however. It might be you are just more sensitive to it than others.

If it is the 33 Red, the wheelbase is short enough that some handling issues which don't occur in longer MHs are at work here. There should be some anti-sway bars you can have installed that might make your Red easier to handle.

Good luck. There is another forum on the web called TRVN, and it is populated with current and former Tiffin owners who will probably have the specific answers to your questions once they have more information.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
OK, new coach, new owner, no experience driving motorhomes. Am I right?

Common problems you describe and it is all caused by driver inexperience. So, time to gain some experience behind the wheel and do it so you rapidly gain some confidence.

1. Adjust the driver's seat so you are comfortable and reach all of the controls and see out of the mirrors. Put both armrests down.

2. Plant both elbows firmly on the armrests and then put your hands on the wheel. Comfy?

3. Start your engine and pull safely onto the road (a nice wide, straight one if handy). Lock your elbows into the armrests and steer with your hands only.

4. Do not look immediately in front of your motorhome. Instead, look about a thousand feet ahead of where you are. Center the coach based on that distant view.

5. Amazingly, you will be cruising in your lane, not wondering everywhere, and not oversteering the coach. Do this for a few thousand miles and you've got it.

6. Do not over react to passing trucks and wind. A truck will push you over about 1-2 feet and then, as it passes you, suck you back about 1-2 feet. It's very common to try and steer when this happening but try doing nothing (use minor corrections if needed).
Steady wind is easy, gusty winds are trickier. If it is gusting too hard, pull over and wait it out.

Enjoy your new motorhome and practice your driving.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same problem with my 2010 Phaeton. When I was on two lane roads with little to no extra berm I was not comfortable. Like you, I did not really enjoy driving the rig. Two years ago, I was at Red Bay and I had Bay Diesel install a Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer Bar, for me IT made all the difference in the world. I have the Powerglide Frame, so I am not sure I am comparing apples to apples. If you go to Red Bay, you might want to talk to them about your issue. I doubt Tiffin would recommend a stabilizer since they do not install them as original equipment. Again, for me, it made all the difference in the world when it comes to handling. When I am going down the road, I never get the side to side drift anymore.
harleybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mentioned before, oversteer it is very common with new drivers, don’t forget your steer wheels are below you not in front of you.
Have you had the coach weighed when it is set to travel? If not do it soon and set your tire pressures according to the your manufactured guidelines.over or under inflated tires can affect handling.
A steering control can offer you some comfort as well.
Lastly, if the MH continues to wander, it might pay to have an alignment.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
No it's not normal.

- Do a 4 corner weigh, to properly adjust your tire air pressures
- Check that 4 corner weigh, to make sure there isn't a big discrepancy between left/right on an axle. Ride height sensor might need adjusted slightly.
- Do the items mentioned before for new drivers
- If an older coach, put on new shocks. I don't suspect that is your case however with a 2017, although I did have a shock go bad in it's 2nd year (it was squeaking), easy replacement.

That should be all you need to do

If you are still having issues and think you need to improve further
- Have your alignment checked. (I've not had to do)
- Install Safe-T-Steer. (Driving was fine, but I did this for the blowout protection since my wife drives a lot. Surprisingly, it did actually improve even further the steering).

Our coach drives like a dream, can easily drive with one hand, and wife regularly drives. Other than really gusty/windy or stormy days (pulled over twice to wait the storm out), no problems at all with driving.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi guys, thanks for your input. Before this rig I had a gas engine Tiffin on a Ford chassis and had the same issues. I called and spoke to Mr. Tiffin himself and I explained my situation. At the end of our conversation he had me install the safety T. To this day I don't believe it was installed correctly. The reason I say this is, after driving for a few hundred miles, I got under the rig and found the tie rod bracket was loose not even secured. I gave-up. Now I have the diesel pusherand I still have the same feelings while driving. One other thing I'd like to mention is I've been driving school buses for the last 14 years and there is no comparison.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbnibble View Post
Hi guys, thanks for your input. Before this rig I had a gas engine Tiffin on a Ford chassis and had the same issues. I called and spoke to Mr. Tiffin himself and I explained my situation. At the end of our conversation he had me install the safety T. To this day I don't believe it was installed correctly. The reason I say this is, after driving for a few hundred miles, I got under the rig and found the tie rod bracket was loose not even secured. I gave-up. Now I have the diesel pusherand I still have the same feelings while driving. One other thing I'd like to mention is I've been driving school buses for the last 14 years and there is no comparison.

Safe T Steer really is security for when you have a front blowout. Isn’t really designed to cure the problems you’re describing.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From day 1. I just can't keep it in my lane
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been reading about the safe-T-plus and people rav about them. I was under the thought they were mainly for gas engine MH. I'll have to make some phone calls to check on the diesel units. If so, I may try it.

Tags
steering