Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Steps too tall?

Has anyone addressed the issue of steps being too tall (having an uncomfortable rise)?
If so, did you arrive at a an acceptable solution/ Modification?
Thanks.
MHimmelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

Had the MOST unlevel asphalt pad ever in 17 years of RVing last weekend. I have three stacks of blocks from my Class C days that I kept. Used the blocks under tires and jacks to get level but our front end, and the stairs, were way up in the air. Bought an inexpensive step for such scenarios and it worked like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

We have a Fleetwood and the rise of the entry steps is steeper than the Tiffins. I always notice the rise of the steps in our friends Tiffin being much less than ours. I don’t know that you’ll find a coach with a lower rise than a Tiffin, and there’s no way to make any adjustment.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
our steps on a prior coach were wide and deep (25" wide 11" deep and 9 3/4" high) enough that I was able to install half steps. using 2-2"x6"and 1- 1"x6" stacked and 12" wide starting on the right side of the original bottom step and on the right side of the original second step. This reduces the rise height about 1/2. doubles the number of steps. This requires you to begin with left foot. To keep the add owns in place I used two L brackets on the bottom of each new step. Was not very attractive but worked for my wife who had trouble with steps. The when we traded the unit in I just had to remove 4 screws.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
We have a Fleetwood and the rise of the entry steps is steeper than the Tiffins. I always notice the rise of the steps in our friends Tiffin being much less than ours. I don’t know that you’ll find a coach with a lower rise than a Tiffin, and there’s no way to make any adjustment.
There are lots of steps available to help. My wife has a bad knee. We camped in a state park on our first trip out with ground sloping away from our two step entry. We purchased a step from Amazon that has two levels depending on the adjustment. Works quit well. Also folds up for easy storage underneath.
Might I also suggest an adjustable support for the first step that is currently there going up. There is some movement on that step and the support stabilizes any surprise movement.
Extarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHimmelein View Post
Has anyone addressed the issue of steps being too tall (having an uncomfortable rise)?
Thanks.
I agree that they have an uncomfortable rise. My knee's are bad and I have found taking the steps one at a time using the best leg to lift to the next has been helpful, but also somewhat clumsy. It's only 3 steps.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
our steps on a prior coach were wide and deep (25" wide 11" deep and 9 3/4" high) enough that I was able to install half steps. using 2-2"x6"and 1- 1"x6" stacked and 12" wide starting on the right side of the original bottom step and on the right side of the original second step. This reduces the rise height about 1/2. doubles the number of steps. This requires you to begin with left foot. To keep the add owns in place I used two L brackets on the bottom of each new step. Was not very attractive but worked for my wife who had trouble with steps. The when we traded the unit in I just had to remove 4 screws.
Thanks,
I was thinking along the same lines- add "spacers" to the internal steps of the coach & mount auxiliary steps like Torklift.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...7504-8000.html
Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHimmelein View Post
Thanks.
It would help if you posted the year and model of your MH.
Are you talking about when the coach is parked on a level surface? Does your coach have air leveling? Some leveling pads allow for the coach to be either raised or lowered after leaving with “ all lower or all raise” .

Years ago we invested in a foldable aluminum step that is height adjustable for situations where the the front of the coach ended up too high after leveling.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry,
2019 Tiffin Open Road 32SA
Old 10-31-2020, 08:10 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If that’s on a F53 chassis, there’s not much you can do but invest in an adjustable step.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Steps

Is something like the Lippert Kwikee 25 Series a possibility?
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC369552.html
Old 11-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We've used something similar to the one in this link, and it's lasted several years. It's EASILY adjustable for different height levels. It's very stable. Not too costly. It works great! Easy to store. Lightweight.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jaxpety-2...4ab5c4d94c320a

I purchased our step while in a Walmart some years ago.
It was about the same price as the one in that link above. If the step is on unlevel or bumpy ground, I have several cheap rubber auto floor mats handy, and I grab a few to roll up in places under the step. The step is almost as wide as the motorhome steps. Works great. Here's our step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	306644

Prior to that step, I made my own step out of wood. It was good. I still have it. I might pass it along to some other RVer one of these days? It's heavier than the one that you see in the photo, but it worked great through a few RVs over the years.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps