Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Storing motorhome

I am putting my phaeton in storage . How do I prove my inverter off?
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know what year your Phaeton is but on ours, there is a button in the Magnum panel above the driver seat, just push it, the inverter light will go off. When ours is parks in the yard I shut off the refrigerator at the breaker panel and shut off the inverter as the MH is plugged into the house.
If you are not running power to the MH, I suggest you shut off the 12 volt to both the Mh and chassis..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

If it is going into storage with no electricity hookup it's very simple. Locate your coach batteries and find the master cutoff switch. When the coach batteries are turned off everything 12V is shut down. Same for the chassis batteries if you use the master cutoff for them.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The master cutoff switch does not prevent the inverter from draining the battery! I had assumed that too and found out it did not after storing my Phaeton the first time. It is connected to batteries after the cutoff switch. As was stated above use button on Magnum remote in cabinet above driver seat. Make sure inverter light is off!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
The master cutoff switch does not prevent the inverter from draining the battery! I had assumed that too and found out it did not after storing my Phaeton the first time. It is connected to batteries after the cutoff switch. As was stated above use button on Magnum remote in cabinet above driver seat. Make sure inverter light is off!
I've been watching this thread because when I put my 40 QBH in storage a couple of weeks ago, I turned the inverter off at the remote panel above the drivers seat and it showed off on the panel. Then I cut the batteries off, both chassis and house. I had to go to the storage facility this morning, so I decided to check the inside panel and it was still lit up, but stated that the inverter was off. I called Tiffin and was told that if the inverter switch itself in the basement was on, then the inverter would still be on and the inside panel would be lit. I can't get back to check on it until tomorrow, but I'll post what I find out.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
I've been watching this thread because when I put my 40 QBH in storage a couple of weeks ago, I turned the inverter off at the remote panel above the drivers seat and it showed off on the panel. Then I cut the batteries off, both chassis and house. I had to go to the storage facility this morning, so I decided to check the inside panel and it was still lit up, but stated that the inverter was off. I called Tiffin and was told that if the inverter switch itself in the basement was on, then the inverter would still be on and the inside panel would be lit. I can't get back to check on it until tomorrow, but I'll post what I find out.
The only connection to the remote panel is a network cable between the inverter and the remote panel. This means power for the panel comes from the inverter.
Since the inverter is connected directly to the batteries, it always has power, therefore the remote panel always has power.

One reason for this is that you should use the master battery disconnect switch to isolate all of the 12v devices when you equalize the batteries.
This is why the inverter has a direct connection to the batteries.

Dan
Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I think if you are going to store the MH for long term without electric hook up I would remove the negative cable from the house and chassis batteries. Then you know everything is off.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have stored mine without power for at least a month without draining batteries below 12.5 volts by turning off the inverter using the remote monitor control and turning off the master disconnect switch in battery bay. I do not disconnect the battery cable. Since I visit MH monthly to check on it and to exercise the generator that has worked for me. If I was going to leave it alone all winter, then I probably would disconnect battery cable to be safe. Without turning inverter off at the remote, batteries will be below 50% (below 12v) in less than a week.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Storing motorhome

I have a 65w solar panel that keeps the batteries up. Came with the coach. No worries, no switches.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Storing Motorhome - Dead Batteries Annually

My 2006 43 ft Allegro Bus is stored outdoors not plugged into electrical service from Mid-April to Mid-October. I have had to replace the 4 house batteries ANNUALLY for several years because they are always dead when I pick up the Bus to head for Florida.
I always turn off the main battery switch, all 12 volt is off.
What is draining my batteries ?
Must I disconnect the batteries to preserve them - they are not easy to get at!
Thanks for any advice
NOFXDADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFXDADD View Post
My 2006 43 ft Allegro Bus is stored outdoors not plugged into electrical service from Mid-April to Mid-October. I have had to replace the 4 house batteries ANNUALLY for several years because they are always dead when I pick up the Bus to head for Florida.
I always turn off the main battery switch, all 12 volt is off.
What is draining my batteries ?
Must I disconnect the batteries to preserve them - they are not easy to get at!
Thanks for any advice
You need to turn of your inverter. This has been repeated several times in this subject by various posters. Inverters are wired directly to the batteries and are not controlled by any disconnect switches. An inverter will drain your batteries in just a few days if you don't turn it off.

If you do not have a source of power, then you need to:
1) Turn off the inverter
2) Use the battery disconnect switch on both the house and chassis batterie banks
3) Unplug the chassis battery maintainer

If you do not have battery disconnect switches, then remove the negative cable on both battery banks.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome